Brief Synopsis!!! (Wigan) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Wigan)

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Steve Evans":2au7lehp said:
phil-thefluter24":2au7lehp said:
Wigan are a horrible niggly side , very well coached in the "dark arts" a throw back to the Wigan of old. How their no 5 stayed on the pitch is a mystery & their no 33 should have been booked for his " celebrating" of their third goal. Definitely the best team lost draw would have been a fair result , 3- 1 completely flattered them. The free kick for their equaliser was taken with a moving ball & about 5 yds from where the offence was committed, Fox was clearly pushed over in the build up to their second & that after we should have been awarded a corner.Sincerely hope they do get promoted it will mean we wont be playing them next season.!
As for the officials don't know what Ferguson would have made of them, less said the better ,abysmal.
As I feared we are going to so miss Toums
i disagree about fox being pushed.it was a block tackle that the wigan bloke won fair and square to me.i thought their equaliser was a very soft goal
Have a look at the highlights; that's a foul on Fox all day long IMHO. He just barges him off the pitch.

Aug 13, 2011
I think we'll have those very necessary additions in place by the end of January. Diagouraga obviously needs to be adequately replaced by another quality acquisition so we don't lose the precious momentum gained by his involvement. None of the others in there can lay any pretence to being able to fill his ample boots, Someone who can play the right ball and gel us together again is needed asap. And we desperately need that extra striker as cover. But today was entirely expected. I couldn't go today but that said Wigan are clearly the best team in the division, even if below par today, by their stats and having some 40+ goal difference. That doesn't happen by fluke.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Just seen the highlights. Wigan's first goal looked a bit soft to me. After Wigan going down the right and then crossing, Byrne (I think) turned in the box and suddenly a huge space opened up, and he only had Remi to beat. Surprised Byrne as well I think as his shot seemed to be going to be collected by Matthews, before Grigg slid at the last second to divert it into the net.

Fox is definitely pushed off the pitch before Wigan took the free-kick which led to their second.

Overall, we had the greater possession and the better of most of the stats - except the one that counts. Wigan had 4 shots on goal, and converted 75%.

Gutted. However, onwards and upwards to Oldham (who lost 3 - 0 at Peterborough). :scarf:

Haven't been able to get to as many games this season because of university but I'd say we played pretty well. Wigan were clinical and that was enough to get the three points. A few of our better players had uncharacteristically poor games - Bradley especially.

Vyner looked classy even if he was most to blame for their first. Our other centre-backs are good defensively but lack the ability on the ball and pace of Vyner. Church had little impact but seems to be a grafter.

Carey remains a blessing and was my man-of-the-match.

The referee was useless.

Aug 15, 2015
djg145":3o5ip57z said:
I dont understand some peoples accessement of Lameires - as soon as he left the pitch, any hope of getting anything from the game was gone - Argyle went flat. He was all over the place, trying to get 'that' pass through their defence, only by luck by their defenders did they mange to divert it or our players were not quite on the same level of thought.

The Ref and his team were aweful - something that is becoming common place - how on earth they kept 11 players on the pitch, i do not know. One minutes he is tryng to play the advantage - the next he blows up when Lameireas is through!!

Great game to watch - though it died out in the later part of the 2nd half - Wigan are a good team, and took their chances well, Argyle almost matched them, so I am not dispondent after the defeat. Wigan are steamrolling this league - we have to just bounce back at Oldham.

The new lad from Bristol, Vyner had a very good debut, fitting in very well.

In the main Argyle need to improve on their delivery into the box and be brave and go for the shot - several times a shot was on, but it was not taken.

Great respect for Cyril Regis and the applause after 5 minutes for Ryan.

I didnt like Wigan's 'dark side' some of their antics were unexpected - I was expecting them to relie entirely on their football.

Lameiras wasn't achieving anything. The long balls to Taylor weren't working because of their defender Burn. Without wingers, we therefore required Lameiras to produce but he was overplaying, playing the ball too quickly at times and losing possession through misplaced passes. He was positive and showed energy, but ineffective. Consequently, for all of our possession and intensity, we didn't penetrate. Carey for me was running the show from an offensive viewpoint and covering for the ineffectiveness of players like Sarcevic and Lameiras.

Unfortunately, at 1-2 down there was no way back in the game given our options versus their impressive rearguard (conceded 13 goals all season). Bringing Ainsworth & Church in stretched the pitch out so to get wider and become more direct, but perhaps we lacked a different type of option today uptop in an 'in behind' type of striker. Lameiras for all his fancy play wasn't as effective as say Carey. If Ruben is going to have that free role, then he needs to penetrate and be effective. Otherwise his fanciness on the ball is only a luxury.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
PL2 3DQ":17hfv2o7 said:
It's a shame some teams use the head injury rule to feign an injury and stop a game when the opposition is attacking. It's creeping more and more into the game.

The rule was brought in to safeguard players and for the most part it works but today while Argyle were on the attack a Wigan player went down with a head injury, the ref was obliged to stop the game to allow treatment but the Wigan player soon recovered, didn't look at all that he was harmed and was soon running around. Job done.

It must be so difficult for referee's who have to look after the players but also let the game flow and not succumb to the black arts.

He took a lot of flak for such blatant cheating yet amazingly had the nerve to hold his ear at us after scoring.

Cynical tactic from a cynical player in a cynical team. A huge shame that the ref fell for it all and we unjustly lost out as a result. We move on I guess and can take solace in giving Wigan one of their toughest tests of the season.

Good effort by the boys today. Tad unfortunate to lose by 3-1 i reckon.
Nice respectful applause beforehand for cyril regis rip and then 5 minutes into the game a show of support for eddy.
Also nice to see all the argyle youth including the little tackers at HT. Ex argyle youth jock (big big tacker) morrison too.
Zakatak coming straight in for eddy at CB the only change to the 433. Only 20 in age so a bit of a gamble i thought.
Straight away we got at em pressing high and very encouragingly we bossed the midfield and with it controlled the game.
Foxy(MOM), sarce and nessie were non stop at it winning second balls so overall we had loads of possession to work with.
First half we were much more effective with zakatak and sonny allowed to bring the ball out from the back with foxys
superb use of the ball linking all our play. Unfortunately most of our excellent approach play ended with either
a poor final ball or no final ball. This was from really good positions which was very disappointing.
To be fair from one of these good positions GC10 did brilliantly to win and score a pen to put us deservedly ahead
on the balance of play. However whelan fc, the same for all their goals today, scored at just the right time to equalise.
Virtually straight away to silence a rocking HP having hardly threatened up to then.
It looked awful soft with a simple cross and the striker is all alone to knock past keeper. I was too far away to
see why or to attribute any blame.
However we kept pressing and working hard but we never really worked their keeper enough tbh. Too many wrong options chosen.
They did look very strong at the back to be fair and very well organised with it. Bit like us in away games perhaps?
Then came the really crucial goal when we were still controlling and dominating the play.
Just before HT, always a good/bad time to score/concede.
Foxy lost possession wide on our right flank and the ball was moved centrally were foxy wasnt anymore and their no6
advanced on the pen area. Sonny was drawn out to meet him and their striker nipped across into the space vacated to
slot home the pass. Thats the way it looked from distance. Very soft looking goal again. Far too easy.
Second half we werent so effective. Credit to cook as he put men up on foxy and our 2 CBs and made us hoof out more.
However, we still kept battling away and did manage to create a few more chances. A GC10 free kick was well saved.
Same from an angled effort from sarce. The best chance also fell to sarce as he rushed a shot over the bar when clear
one on one in the centre.
Once again whelan fc struck just at the right time to quell any hopes of a comeback. Straight after sarces miss.
Again a very poor goal conceded from a rare corner by daves men. Their skyscraper CB had a free header from deep which
seemed to bonk off someones head on the way in. I didnt see who was marking him but again it looked too easy.
So 3 goals conceded after dominating play and with them hardly threatening us. It sure is a hard pill to swallow.
However, the team should be proud of the effort put in today.
We did play some excellent one touch football at times too. Just needed more one touch early crosses coming in as both
sarce and nessie were making late runs into the box from centre mid. We were guilty of overelaborating at times,
especially in that first half. Second half there were far more early crosses coming in but apart from one that newbie
striker churchie(sorry simon, insurance ad dog springs to mind) headed over there wasnt enough quality to them.
Or that they werent coming in from those really good positions we got into in that first half.
Zakatak looked very good on the ball. Defensively need to see more of him. Nessie for toums is a big act to
follow but i thought he did ok though there were some tired moments unsurprisingly towards the end.
Sarce also had a good game but he does need to score when he gets chances. At least he is getting them now i suppose.
Our front 3 not so effective as a unit today though i thought ryan did very well as the lone ranger. Up against their
goliath CB he actually won his fair share of headers and challenges.
The defensive unit did ok generally but we did concede 3 soft goals. A new member to bed in so work to do there i guess.
Highlight of the game was skipper gazs pitch and putt og attempt back over remis head. Right at the pin too but
fortunately bouncing over it. Heart in mouth few seconds there gazza.
Got to bounce back now. Some more toughies coming up though.
At least we have given ourselves some breathing space over recent games and more importantly brought some
much needed optimism back to the camp. :scarf:

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Good game I thought, especially first half. Uncalled for criticism of Lameiras on here I think, caused Wigan a lot of probs. Clinical finishing by the visitors and that was the only difference. Referee appalling. Ness? Meh, sorry, just don't get him. Compare him to Sarcevic... both give the ball away too much, but at least Sarce will battle to win it back and often does. Ness a big minus for me. Vyner looks good but needs to make decisions quicker, caught in possession a few times but the potential is there. As a team we looked good until the final third, but we'd have beaten most teams in this division today. First half especially was excellent. To concede immediately after leading and right on half time was cruel. A lot of positives though.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Lousy_Pint":7ri20fhj said:
Good game I thought, especially first half. Uncalled for criticism of Lameiras on here I think, caused Wigan a lot of probs. Clinical finishing by the visitors and that was the only difference. Referee appalling. Ness? Meh, sorry, just don't get him. Compare him to Sarcevic... both give the ball away too much, but at least Sarce will battle to win it back and often does. Ness a big minus for me. Vyner looks good but needs to make decisions quicker, caught in possession a few times but the potential is there. As a team we looked good until the final third, but we'd have beaten most teams in this division today. First half especially was excellent. To concede immediately after leading and right on half time was cruel. A lot of positives though.

I don't think Sonny helped Vyner well at all. He didn't play well at all, which put pressure on him. I thought he had a good debut. We lacked attacking impetus once Lameras went off. Ainsworth was ineffective. Sarce did well, but his poor touch led to him skying that one on one. Ness did ok, tracked well and closed the space effectively, but had a fee 'what the!!!' moments. Oh, and if we had marked both post for their third, we'd still have been in the game

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Definetly did not deserve to loose it was a good competitive game, Lameiras going off did not help, we have got to sort the midfield out Fox, Sarcevic and Ness far too slow.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
I didn't think we missed Toums to be honest, Great player but we played so well yesterday and unluckily got sucker punched by a good team. Toum's Fleetwood team lost in (similar?) circumstances at home to Blackburn.

Apr 29, 2016
Steve Evans":jqic8nkn said:
very enjoyable and entertaining match which i think wigan just deserved to win as they were superior in the second half.great atmosphere and congratulations to all participants.my ratings;

Remi Matthews - 6
Oscar Threlkeld - 7
Zak Vyner - 7
Sonny Bradley - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 9
Jamie Ness - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Ruben Lameiras - 5
Graham Carey - 8
Ryan Taylor - 6

Think Ness stretched a 7 but to give Taylor a 6 and Lameiras and unbelievable 5 really doesn’t reflect their endeavour or achievements. To outplay the division leaders no one deserved a 5 or 6 with everyone deserving a least a 7. Give Sarcevic a 3 for shooting if you want!

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
arrythewurzel":25k1jdpa said:
Why wasn’t their player sent off for the foul on Carey which led to penalty? No attempt to play ball? Prevented a goal scoring opportunity? Another rule change?
couple seasons back that would have been a red card, for denying a goal scoring opportunity. I think the rule was changed as technically a goal scoring opportunity wasn't denied as we got a free pop from 12 yards. I think it's now only a red when a player is clearly going to score (ie round the keeper and get's brought down) or the player make no effort to play the ball. However, from what I've seen it's been very inconsistently enforced by refs at all levels.

looking at the replay, i can't see the player making any effort to get the ball so possibly could have been red.

May 16, 2016
ping_g5":14755y98 said:
arrythewurzel":14755y98 said:
Why wasn’t their player sent off for the foul on Carey which led to penalty? No attempt to play ball? Prevented a goal scoring opportunity? Another rule change?
couple seasons back that would have been a red card, for denying a goal scoring opportunity. I think the rule was changed as technically a goal scoring opportunity wasn't denied as we got a free pop from 12 yards. I think it's now only a red when a player is clearly going to score (ie round the keeper and get's brought down) or the player make no effort to play the ball. However, from what I've seen it's been very inconsistently enforced by refs at all levels.

looking at the replay, i can't see the player making any effort to get the ball so possibly could have been red.

Not only did he hack Carey down, he then proceeded to deliberately kick the ball away after the penalty was awarded.

Two yellows in a few minutes ?

Oct 24, 2010
We played a very good team yesterday who defend exceptionally well and have quality all over the pitch. It's hugely encouraging that we matched them and overall had the better of the game but we can't expect to beat a team that good if we give them three soft goals. Particularly encouraging for me was the superiority we had in the middle of the park and the performances of Fox, Ness and Sarcevic were excellent and very encouraging. The worry is how much Edwards will be missed but I came away form the match with the feeling that we are only two or three signings away from being a very good team.