Brief Synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Surprised to see so few fans at the Valley. Club dying on its arse?
Or could it be that football is expensive and justifying a ticket over essential things at home are more important?

Nov 26, 2011
California USA
I know I was watching from afar on TV (California) but I thought that Hardie has a common problem ... he takes a step too far before shooting and thought with better execution would we could have taken the lead?

Reactions: dunlop

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
As someone eloquently put it well the other day, we are a L1 side trying to play like a Premier a league team.
It’s all about decision making. All well and good playing out from the back but there are times to clear it and reset. We gifted them two goals after a bright start. It’s a philosophy now so I supposed it’s become pre-programmed but sometimes you just need to put your foot through it!! Game was lost at 2-0 and 10 men! Score is irrelevant but these mistakes keep occurring! It will happen playing this way and it happens at the highest level (De Gea) but it’s so frustrating, particularly after a bright start!! We move on!

Reactions: Furnell and Emu

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Consistency is the key. We’re like the little girl in the poem when we’re good we’re very good but when we’re bad we’re horrid. Is this still a settling in period? Once the system has been run in, to use a new car analogy, will it repeat consistently? But last night was truly abysmal. I managed to get the feed just in time to see the penalty and red card so I can’t speak about what went before but what followed was Charlton knocking the ball around like it was a training session and We looked so vulnerable to every attack it was ridiculous. Whittaker scored an excellent individual goal against the run of play and Jephcott had a chance at the far post but that just stung Charlton out of their metaphorical armchairs and we were put to the sword. If I had to sum it all up two words immediately spring to mind. Naive and unprofessional. I really hope this is just a bump in the road on the journey to the ultimate prize but if there is a line in the sand to be drawn it needs to be drawn now.

Mar 23, 2008
For me there were two main issues, tactics and attitude.

In one sense, good we are having a go at teams but we were wide open and easy to get at. Charlton were breaking on us and had numerous chances before the red card. Schuey is still learning and hopefully a big lesson learnt last night.

Our attitude wasn't right, it did feel a little like after the Lord Mayors Show. One telling moment, which Schuey will pick up on the video recall in the first half with Bali Mumba. The ball was deep in the Charlton half and with their right back and they had a triangle between him, their CB and DM. Bali stood off them, motionless before breaking into a mild jog, no pressing at all. One isolated incident but sums up the above, Bali was all action on Saturday and clearly talented but needs to be consistent.

A final point, I thought Whittaker looked the business last night. I know a few onnthe match thread have questioned his decision making and being selfish but we've also been wondering where the goals are going to come from if Hardie isn't scoring. Between Whittaker and Azaz, there's real quality there and end product.

Aug 4, 2011
Look at our shape at kick off after their 2nd goal. Players are literally just stood around when we take kick off and the ball is like a hot potato. Turned it off as soon as I saw that, a drubbing was inevitable

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Football is all about fine margins - but has soon as we face power, pace, directness, aggression we morph into a gibbering wreck of a team

We could not handle Charlton period- Jayden Stockley must have been licking his lips as he was given the freedom of the 6yd, 18yd box
Maybe their early goal knocked us confidence wise, by why oh why did the players continue with the rinse, repeat keystone, cavalier way of playing out from the back - were they hoping to get to half time only 1 nil down or were they thinking Charlton would run out of steam
Would the game have panned out differently if Willo had not got sent off & would they have continued their toying with us so easily in the 2nd half or would we have seen Schuey showing his hand & making tactical adjustments to try & get something from the game
Instead the reality was 45 minutes of poor decision making , gifting goals & going down to 10 men- Schuey was left with damage limitation & a game plan with 10 men in a game that had gone
Schuey now has plenty to mull over- it was not just 1 or 2 players that had an off day- it was the entire team- how does he go about fixing it, does he go back to the drawing board or does he tinker
I don't think any of us take any satisfaction in last night's capitulation - I am more interested in the players reaction come Saturday 3pm (weather permitting if FGR pitch is up to muster)

Apr 5, 2008
MGM is correct in many ways. What I would say is that we have the players who can potentially be those that succeed but they need to be allowed to play and fail - e.g. Randell. Happily, I think SS realises this.

Never a 5-1 this evening. Of course, it was - but the ref killed the game by sending off Wilson. Would be interested in the black and white ruling but the penalty felt punishment enough. At 2-0 down, even though Charlton were in the ascendancy, it would have been a game if 11 v 11.

Surprised to see so few fans at the Valley. Club dying on its arse?

Despite the reverse, we feel the opposite.

You Greens.
Why are Charltons attendances so inconsistent, when we played them away last season they had over 26000 attending, so half that attended last night l.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Why are Charltons attendances so inconsistent, when we played them away last season they had over 26000 attending, so half that attended last night l.

Charlton ST holders could claim 3 free tickets each for friends and family for that game. #fillthevalley

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

With the league game last season, I’m sure they gave free tickets out.

Edited. Just seen PL2 beat me to it

Jul 12, 2016
Probably because their fans expectations were high last season but nothing materialised. Also cost of living.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Probably because their fans expectations were high last season but nothing materialised. Also cost of living.
It’s been explained why.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
We always seems to struggle away from home against teams that play 4-3-3. We did under Ryan Lowe (with the 3-5-2) and I was hopeful that the weakness of playing three at the back against a front three, two who play wide, with pace and a central forward with power, pace and physical presence, had been addressed. Schuey started pre-season games with a 5-3-2 (which could be 5-4-1) in an attempt to come up with a more defensively robust system against an energetic and wide high press such as Charlton employed. I saw little sign of it last night with both wing backs too high exposing the defensive limitations of both Wilson and Gillesphey against pace and directness. Add to that a poor choice of playing out and Mike Cooper falling below his normal high standards we got what we deserved.

I am drawn to almost adopting the Paul Sturrock philosophy of having a a differing home and away system. As Saturday proved we are capable of free flowing attacking football that is effective and delightful to watch. Away from home we look physically deficient. The central two in midfield were not robust enough, missed tackles and allowed the ball to go wide too easily. Butcher offers some greater physicality in that role. As compelling as Mamba is to watch going forward the ball too easily gets behind him exposing Glllesphey to 2 v 1s. Similarly, if Edwards is caught high up the pitch Wilson is similarly exposed. Hopefully, this will be addressed away from home as Galloway returns to full fitness and possibly as Lonwijk steps up.

Defeats like last night will inevitably generate knee jerk reactions. The best data analytics will only confirm the obvious. We are not physical enough in critical areas away from home. The wing backs cannot advance so far up the pitch until the game is stabilised and we have established as solid foothold on the game. Whilst mistakes will happen they will be minimised if the choice of ball from the three at the back or Coops is not to someone under an aggressive press - teams won't score if the ball is in the terraces or pumped down the line. I note that in the Premiership teams have successfully adopted a 5-4-1 or similar to frustrate and eliminate teams getting in behind them (Palace v Liverpool for example). If we are to be promotion contenders we may have to do similar and play on the counter attack with pace. With Hardie, Mayor, Azaz and Whittaker we are very capable of playing that way.

May 8, 2011
I suppose the question that will be answered over the coming weeks is, was Saturday a blip and Fleetwood, Charlton and Peterborough last Wednesday the norm or is it just early in the season.

Jun 27, 2019
Defeats like last night will inevitably generate knee jerk reactions. The best data analytics will only confirm the obvious. We are not physical enough in critical areas away from home.
We all know this, which makes it more than a little surprising that our summer signings only featured one player who appears to be an upgrade in that department, and that's Matt Butcher. He might come good in time but he hasn't exactly set the world alight so far.

Whittaker, Azaz, Miller and Mumba are all quick, technical players, but nothing different to what we already had.