Brief Synopsis (Peterborough league game) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Peterborough league game)

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
It’s been reported that the Man United players got called in today and were made to run 13 km as that was the difference in their running stats compared to Brentford yesterday.
It would be interesting to know what the comparison in our own game was. I reckon Joe Edwards alone ran further than half the Posh team combined!

• Haha
Reactions: saxman
Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
It’s been reported that the Man United players got called in today and were made to run 13 km as that was the difference in their running stats compared to Brentford yesterday.
It would be interesting to know what the comparison in our own game was. I reckon Joe Edwards alone ran further than half the Posh team combined!
That Ten Haag won't last ten games. There's a toxicity at that club. Add in a decade of shoddy recruitment, poor planning, neglect of infrastructure and owners bleeding the club....what a mess.

So pleased I am a green.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Going off on a slight tangent from the thread but I think the interpretation of wage budget is blown out of proportion, particularly for clubs recently relegated from the Championship. If a team has sacked a manager or senior member of coaching staff, has paid a players contract up or still have a few players on mega buck contracts agreed when they were Championship clubs, their wage bill is potentially going to look bloated compared to the reality of what they are actually spending on current first team players. Our wage bill from our last couple of seasons would probably dwarf what we are paying now but I'd take 75% of this squad over the one that got relegated.

Its more than just a min / max wage budget. It’s how other league one clubs are achieving their figures.

In the fan forum 30 mins in Simon Hallett says we can spend 60% of our revenue on player wages under the EFL fair play rules. Simon Hallett says we would be losing a lot of money and a long way from the goal of sustainability if we did this.

l feel these clubs with billionaire chairman must be footing the bill and bridging the gap of those type of losses. Whether it’s a Sheffield Wednesday or a Fleetwood. ln the long run if they lose their owner they could be in financial trouble but until that point it means some clubs have financial more muscle. They aren’t breaking any rules. They just using a more short term financial model to fast track success.

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Simon Hallett and Steven Schumacher are getting it right.

On performance, what yesterdays game did for me, was lay the markers for the season. The players should take every confidence out of that performance and not look back. Against a bigger budgeted team with championship quality, who are expected to be around the top 6, as are Barnsley, we did more than match them, we outplayed them for the majority of the match.

So no excuses, and no doubts, in a positive way, for the season ahead. Believe.

We proved in two of the top games in our fixture list, we have the quality, the organisation, the game plan and the desire to be up there at the end of the season. I know squad depth and injuries could play their part, as it did last season. So bar that, what I'm saying is we are GOOD enough. There should be no doubt about that now, even though it's early, we demonstrated it against two former Championship teams, a step up from last season, when we got nothing from them. coyg

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021

On performance, what yesterdays game did for me, was lay the markers for the season. The players should take every confidence out of that performance. Against a bigger budgeted team with championship quality, who are expected to be around the top 6, as are Barnsley, we did more than match them, we outplayed them for the majority of the match.

So no excuses, in a positive way, for the season ahead. Believe.

We proved in two of the top games in our fixture list, we have the quality, the organisation, the game plan and the desire to be up there at the end of the season. I know squad depth and injuries could play their part, as it did last season. So bar that, what I'm saying is we are GOOD enough. There should be no doubt about that now, even though it's early, we demonstrated it against two former Championship teams, a step up from last season, when we got nothing from them. coyg

Before l think we are top 6 material l need to see us more away from home. Especially against teams we struggled against last season away from home.

We gave away too many good chances to good teams without having that cutting edge against them.

Reactions: Jannerz

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Before l think we are top 6 material l need to see us more away from home. Especially against teams we struggled against last season away from home.

We gave away too many good chances to good teams without having that cutting edge against them.
Good point, and that's something Schuey needs to address. We need to find effective ways to play against the 5 or 6 really physical teams, who sit deep and play long or like Wycombe, really press us high up, and try to disrupt our flow. Even top Premiership teams struggle against a well organised physical team like Burnley, Brighton, Palace. We have to find a way to manage them, as do the other promotion contenders. coyg

Last edited:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Ennis was brilliant when he came on yesterday and personally a 'horses for courses ploy I would play him in the away games as his hold up play is better than hardies

I’d hardly say Ennis was brilliant? What did he do to warrant such a word?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I’m not so sure about that. Ennis’ hold up play on Wednesday was dreadful, he was bullied, and the ball immediately started to stick more when Hardie came on.

For me if we’re playing with one up top then it needs to be Hardie, if we’re playing with two then Hardie & Jephcott.

Totally agree 👍

Reactions: Cobi Budge

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I would have assumed that all Premier League Clubs and possibly clubs at our level would be monitoring players weight, body fat, nutrition, fitness levels, etc.on a regular basis. If a player is being paid tens or even hundreds of thousands a week surely you want to make sure that they are in peak condition?
Seeing how tubby Shaw looked yesterday, making him run In this heat could be justifiable homicide!
Why are millionaire players not even in good condition

Jan 30, 2016

On performance, what yesterdays game did for me, was lay the markers for the season. The players should take every confidence out of that performance and not look back. Against a bigger budgeted team with championship quality, who are expected to be around the top 6, as are Barnsley, we did more than match them, we outplayed them for the majority of the match.

Yes but we also need to beat the likes of Fleetwood!

Reactions: Jannerz

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Yes but we also need to beat the likes of Fleetwood!
Exactly Alan. It's not always about playing the prettiest football, I agree. Theres going to be plenty of patient, dogged 1-0 wins needed too.

Feb 15, 2005

I agree with what your saying but both Barnsley and Peterborough are sides who for the last twelve months are used to losing hence their relegation. They both looked fragile and lacking confidence. I’m pleased how we have started this season and am confident we should be around the top end of the table.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
‘Calm’ was the word that came to my mind. They just didn’t seem to get hurried or panic at all and always took the time to locate the space around them.
Even Dan Scarr showed a bit of deft footwork, seriousely, though, i agree they were all great.
That was the best performance by Argyle since the demolition of S.Weds. last season.