Brief Synopsis (Peterborough league game) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis (Peterborough league game)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Phew! Hot stuff on and off the pitch.

Credit to both sets of players for giving us an entertaining game in extreme heat.

The win was well deserved and means we have beaten two former Championship clubs at home in successive games.

At times we were so good, the style of play and attacking intent was superb.
The amount of running Edwards did was phenomenal, Mumba was not far behind him.

For the first half Schumacher used the 3-2-4-1 formation with Houghton replacing Butcher alongside Randell.

Considering the heat the pace of the game at the start was frantic, it did settle down but not by much.

Hardie had our best chance in a one on one situation but the giant Posh keeper came out on top. Hardie really should have scored.

Mumba and Edwards both had shots saved, while Azaz and Mayor were causing problems - Azaz is really clever in finding pockets of space while Mayor ducks and dives to find an opening.

Peterborough didn't offer much going forward because we were so good although Cooper did make one good save.

The deserved goal came when Hardie fed Mayor who slotted in Azaz, his low shot (it had to be low) beat the giant. 1-0, turn up the heat!

Peterborough made 4 subs at the start of the second half and pinned us back. Despite that early pressure Cooper was never threatened.
We weathered that storm with some resolute defending.

Mayor had a shot well saved, that was definitely going in.

Ennis replaced Mayor and the formation switched to the old 3-1-4-2 line up with Houghton deep and Azaz and Randell as the numbers 8s and Ennis up top with Hardie.

The switch helped turn the game in our favour so it was good tactical thinking from Schumacher.

From a cleared Houghton corner Mumba picked up a loose ball and was hacked down in the area. Penalty! Up stepped Hardie to seal the 3 points.

Azaz was just class, he ran the show in the first half, Mumba is fast becoming a fans favourite, he never gives up.

Houghton had a good return to the starting 11 in the league, both as a partner for Randell and then later on his own sitting in front of the centre-backs.

Edwards is my man of the match, an incredible performance although Mumba is not far behind him.

It was a real team/squad effort with no weak links. The best we've played for a while and reminiscent of when we were storming the league early last season.

Cooper 7, Wilson 7, Scarr 7, Gillesphey 7, Houghton 7, Randell 7, Edwards 9, Mumba 8, Azaz 8, Mayor 7, Hardie 7.
Subs Ennis 7, Whittaker 6, Butcher 6, Lonwijk 7.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019
There was a 20 minute spell in the first half where we were sublime,with mayor and azaz pulling the strings .. love the new system.

thought it was an all round good performance but mumba was my man of the match by some distance …miller being injured might be a blessing in disguise

Reactions: Jannerz

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Phew! Hot stuff on and off the pitch.

Credit to both sets of players for giving us an entertaining game in extreme heat.

The win was well deserved and means we have beaten two former Championship clubs at home in successive games.

At times we were so good, the style of play and attacking intent was superb.
The amount of running Edwards did was phenomenal, Mumba was not far behind him.

For the first half Schumacher used the 3-2-4-1 formation with Houghton replacing Butcher alongside Randell.

Considering the heat the pace of the game at the start was frantic, it did settle down but not by much.

Hardie had our best chance in a one on one situation but the giant Posh keeper came out on top. Hardie really should have scored.

Mumba and Edwards both had shots saved, while Azaz and Mayor were causing problems - Azaz is really clever in finding pockets of space while Mayor ducks and dives to find an opening.

Peterborough didn't offer much going forward because we were so good although Cooper did make one good save.

The deserved goal came when Hardie fed Mayor who slotted in Azaz, his low shot (it had to be low) beat the giant. 1-0, turn up the heat!

Peterborough made 4 subs at the start of the second half and pinned us back. Despite that early pressure Cooper was never threatened.
We weathered that storm with some resolute defending.

Mayor had a shot well saved, that was definitely going in.

Ennis replaced Mayor and the formation switched to the old 3-1-4-2 line up with Houghton deep and Azaz and Randell as the numbers 8s and Ennis up top with Hardie.

The switch helped turn the game in our favour so it was good tactical thinking from Schumacher.

From a cleared Houghton corner Mumba picked up a loose ball and was hacked down in the area. Penalty! Up stepped Hardie to seal the 3 points.

Azaz was just class, he ran the show in the first half, Mumba is fast becoming a fans favourite, he never gives up.

Houghton had a good return to the starting 11 in the league, both as a partner for Randell and then later on his own sitting in front of the centre-backs.

Edwards is my man of the match, an incredible performance although Mumba is not far behind him.

It was a real team/squad effort with no weak links. The best we've played for a while and reminiscent of when we were storming the league early last season.

Cooper 7, Wilson 7, Scarr 7, Gillesphey 7, Houghton 7, Randell 7, Edwards 9, Mumba 8, Azaz 8, Mayor 7, Hardie 7.
Subs Ennis 7, Whittaker 6, Butcher 6, Lonwijk 7.
Let us hope these two home League results and Brentford winning 4-0 at half-time will bring an end to the obsessional posts about budgets winning football matches. Brentford starting XI £55m/Man U £424m

Last edited:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Given the conditions I thought four subs at half time was a tactical error - and it’s not like it made much difference, we still had a yard on them and made better use of space.

It screamed of panic to me. They weren’t good in the first half but I don’t think they were dreadful. It was almost like an “oh my we’re losing to Plymouth” knee jerk response.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I have this vision of a certain pessimistic poster leading the singing on his charabanc back to Cornwall and almost believing we will make mid table now.
It's surprising what a performance like that does to you or maybe it's just old age catching up with me?

Reactions: philevs