Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton)

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Today was undoubtedly the worst I’ve seen us play since November or so. Very little creativity going forward. However, we go again on Friday.

Aug 5, 2015
I agree with Mark. We just weren’t at the races today. Let’s hope it was just a blip but when you fail to force the opposition keeper into making one save in 90 minutes then you’re not going very far I’m afraid.
It was so dire that the highlight of the day was when Adams came out to applaud the Green Army just before kick-off. It was all downhill after that.

Jun 2, 2016
Very similar to Portsmouth away. Physically and mentally everyone looked off the pace. Only the players can work out why that happens. Does the expectation of big away support weigh on their minds?
Great opening goal from Charlton and Taylor's near miss set the tone.
First half we did work some useful attacking positions but constantly refused to cross. We overplayed and the chance was lost. Second half we passed without seemingly knowing how to break through.
Portsmouth away was followed by a home win. .....

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Why do so many think that, when one or more of our solid base is unavailable, we should have someone who is equally competent to get up off the bench that he has been warming for the last few weeks and be equally effective?

It rarely happens at our level and DA has covered most positions very well. It is interesting that, since Jervis and Diagouraga have left, they have been replaced, almost seamlessly, by Ness/Sarcevic/Lameiras who were already here from day 1.

There are no complaints about the loan signing of the impressive Vyner as a temporary replacement for the unfortunate Ryan Edwards and who could predict that both of our centre backs would be unavailable through illness rather than injury?

This season has brought many challenges and I think management have done very well to get us to the position we are in

Mar 14, 2009
Charlton was a decent ground. Hidden away somewhat. Great away turnout. Was surprised how empty the home fans area was consideying where they are in the league and what a win would do for their top 6 hopes.

Mar 14, 2009
Before being shot down in flames there is nothing l said today that looks havent said in previous posts.

The full backs are slow. ATS, Sawyer and Threlkeld arent good enough in those positions. How many times do they beat an opposing full back? Or get a very decent cross in? Today was what always happens creativity wise. We pass it very slowly. It eventually gets out to them. They don't know what to do with it so look for Carey & Lameiras to give them the ball but they are tightly marked. We panick and lose the ball.

I don't understand with saying half the current squad aren't upto it. Look at the options today. They aren't game changers bringing on ATS or Fletcher. He doesn't seem to rate Ainsworth else we would play him and yet he is the one player who could run a defender. So if he isn't being picked what's the point in keeping him.

Last year when Bradley was injured the defence looked very vunerable. That's the same as this season. So how can you make a case for ATS, Sawyer, Songo and Threlkeld being decent league 1 defenders when today, last match against Rovers and other games this season they look so poor without Bradley.

We have a decent midfield in Fox, Ness and Sarcivic but where are the other midfield options when these aren't available? Sangster is surely better than the West Ham on loan guy who just doesn't take charge of any game situation. He just floats around the pitch. Passes the ball sideways or backwards and isn't involved for a fewhile more mins.

Today our Plan B was hoof it up to Taylor. After that there didn't seem any idea what should happen next. We bring Fletcher on but the game, like many others, passed him by.

Sure we had a good run and played some decent football. Yet today wasn't a one off. Even in patches where we were on our great run the problems highlighted above remained. The reason we get out of these problems is because of the character and fighting nature of our team. Yet when that is matched, like it was today, we can look one dimensional when the TLC parternship doesn't work.

We have 1 stand out player in league 1. 5-6 very decent standard league one players. After that lm afraid the squad is poor quality. You need a decent squad so you don't have to keep relying on the same 6-7 players to get you out of situations. Also the gap between say a Taylor in skill & quality and a Songo is too big. He is a whole hearted committed league 2 player at best. So when you have such vast deferentials in terms of your players then it's gonna impact results, like he had done before Taylor and Lameiras started playing in this team in December.

Today was disappointing. I've seen much worise though. I'm just trying to put it into some perspectI've where l think Argyle are at with this current squad.

You only had to see Charlton'so young, hungry, pacey youthful players to show how Argyle are missing some key ingredients in the team right now. They weren't great. Yet they were quicker and faster to the ball. And also when on the ball. We are pedestrian like at times and that is short of players in a number of key postions.

Even when we were winning last month, l felt like we are short of pace and quality in key areas. Which is why about 3 weeks ago l cashed out on my top 6 bet l placed months ago.

I think we done remarkably well to be where we are. Proud of the team. Yet to get to be a side getting promoted to league 1 l feel we have too many defensive issues, even with Bradley back, and lack of pace throughout the side will be our endoing. For example, today Charlton left sided player waltz into our own half in a couple of occasions and never got challenged until reaching our penalty box. That can't be right way for a top 6 side to defend like that. This kind of scenerio happens in games a few times and let think highlights our deficiencies.

Sep 18, 2004
West in East Anglia
Okay today was a disappointment. Their first so soon after kickoff knocked the team bandy.

The rest of the as far as Argyle faired,was a lot of triangle passing which came to nothing. A lack of cover for the full backs when under pressure and their unwillingness to attack the opposition and the space on the wings when given the chance meant no threat to the CAFC goal.

Saying that, two upright hits, the ref bottling a second card for one of their centre backs and it could have different.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Metal_Green_Mickey":1fvjgn0f said:
Before being shot down in flames there is nothing l said today that looks havent said in previous posts.

The full backs are slow. ATS, Sawyer and Threlkeld arent good enough in those positions. How many times do they beat an opposing full back? Or get a very decent cross in? Today was what always happens creativity wise. We pass it very slowly. It eventually gets out to them. They don't know what to do with it so look for Carey & Lameiras to give them the ball but they are tightly marked. We panick and lose the ball.

I don't understand with saying half the current squad aren't upto it. Look at the options today. They aren't game changers bringing on ATS or Fletcher. He doesn't seem to rate Ainsworth else we would play him and yet he is the one player who could run a defender. So if he isn't being picked what's the point in keeping him.

Last year when Bradley was injured the defence looked very vunerable. That's the same as this season. So how can you make a case for ATS, Sawyer, Songo and Threlkeld being decent league 1 defenders when today, last match against Rovers and other games this season they look so poor without Bradley.

We have a decent midfield in Fox, Ness and Sarcivic but where are the other midfield options when these aren't available? Sangster is surely better than the West Ham on loan guy who just doesn't take charge of any game situation. He just floats around the pitch. Passes the ball sideways or backwards and isn't involved for a fewhile more mins.

Today our Plan B was hoof it up to Taylor. After that there didn't seem any idea what should happen next. We bring Fletcher on but the game, like many others, passed him by.

Sure we had a good run and played some decent football. Yet today wasn't a one off. Even in patches where we were on our great run the problems highlighted above remained. The reason we get out of these problems is because of the character and fighting nature of our team. Yet when that is matched, like it was today, we can look one dimensional when the TLC parternship doesn't work.

We have 1 stand out player in league 1. 5-6 very decent standard league one players. After that lm afraid the squad is poor quality. You need a decent squad so you don't have to keep relying on the same 6-7 players to get you out of situations. Also the gap between say a Taylor in skill & quality and a Songo is too big. He is a whole hearted committed league 2 player at best. So when you have such vast deferentials in terms of your players then it's gonna impact results, like he had done before Taylor and Lameiras started playing in this team in December.

Today was disappointing. I've seen much worise though. I'm just trying to put it into some perspectI've where l think Argyle are at with this current squad.

You only had to see Charlton'so young, hungry, pacey youthful players to show how Argyle are missing some key ingredients in the team right now. They weren't great. Yet they were quicker and faster to the ball. And also when on the ball. We are pedestrian like at times and that is short of players in a number of key postions.

Even when we were winning last month, l felt like we are short of pace and quality in key areas. Which is why about 3 weeks ago l cashed out on my top 6 bet l placed months ago.

I think we done remarkably well to be where we are. Proud of the team. Yet to get to be a side getting promoted to league 1 l feel we just don't defensive issues and lack of pace throughout the side will be our endoing.

Was your last long critical post on the 20th January or 25th November? :smile:

Oct 14, 2015
PAFC Norfolk":38paht0m said:
Okay today was a disappointment. Their first so soon after kickoff knocked the team bandy.

The rest of the as far as Argyle faired,was a lot of triangle passing which came to nothing. A lack of cover for the full backs when under pressure and their unwillingness to attack the opposition and the space on the wings when given the chance meant no threat to the CAFC goal.

Saying that, two upright hits, the ref bottling a second card for one of their centre backs and it could have different.

And possibly bottling sending off Remi??? Can't have it both ways, on another day he could've walked so amazed he wasn't even carded ....we would've be livid if their keeper had done it and got away with it..

Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":1ii6h1o4 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1ii6h1o4 said:

I think we done remarkably well to be where we are. Proud of the team. Yet to get to be a side getting promoted to league 1 l feel we just don't defensive issues and lack of pace throughout the side will be our endoing.

I think it wss about as long as it takes for network rail to fix the lines to the south west it seems ;)

It's a long journey home.....and it's critical but again...same comments can be found in positive posts I've made. It just stands out more because lve said it again, but this time after a defeat.

You seem to find I'm critical after a defeat but here is four separate times I have mentioned Argyles lack of pace over the current season because it is a factor

13th Jul - Ryan Edwards confirmed thread

"Sokolik, looks like he has a mistake in him. However, with a pre-season (Adams style) under his belt l am hoping some of what we saw was rustyness due to lack of first team games at Southend.

So we really need more quality and competition in this area. What we maybe need at FB is more pace but strength and height down the middle is essential.
"

16th Dec - Defence, Midfield or Attack Thread

"I'd like to see more pace at full back and a mobile CDM who can tackle and cover the lack of pace Edwards and Bradley "

1st Jan - Brief Synopsis Walsall

" Yes we still lack some pace in the team but for me when l said l wanted to see better football it was about seeing Argyle play with more of an attacking intent

14th Jan - Jamie Ness Thread

"Whilst Toums isn’t the quickest my other concern was the lack of pace in central midfield. Including Ness in there meant we are abit one paced."

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":1y0tu62p said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1y0tu62p said:
Head is numb. Not sure if thats the cold or watching the football.

That was pretty awful. Against a side that were hit by injuries and calll ups.

Im trying to think of a postive but having watched that "kick n rush" style all second half then lm struggling.

Nobody really stood out. We lacked ideas & imagnation. Often being too slow to the ball.

If we are going to play narrow you need full backs with pace who can cross the ball. Our side is very immobile. We have craft & creativity with Carey and Lameiras but our lack of pace in our team leaves us exposed defensively, whilst going forward we are static.

When we can overload the middle of the park then we can get our system to work. Unfortunately today we ended up constantly hoofing the ball up to Taylor. It was "Robbie Turner" hoofball at its finest.

Charlton should have won by more goals. They had some decent chanced which narrowly missed. Argyle huffed and puffed but saying it was turgid is the nicest way of putting whatever the game plan was today.

Everyone will say its one bad result from a number of great results. It was just more the manner of how badly we looked today and knowing we dont have much in the squad to change it for Peterborough.

Argyle have some very good league one players. Yet half that team todaat least needs releasing and replaced. We are still a work in progress.
Change the squad for Peterborough? What about Southend and Scunthorpe, Mickey?

lol...been up sInce 5am so yeah my head jumbled. I know remaining fixtures but keep putting them in wrong order.....it's Portsmouth after Peterbrough too.

That should be a great game.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Looked like Argyle expected to just turn up and not have to battle too hard. Some weeks that’s worked, like last week, Rovers shooting themselves in the foot somewhat.

Why our keeper would even supposedly get a red for a handball from a non-scoring opportunity where there’s plenty cover down the channel, that is beyond me, even if deliberate handball if, which it wasn’t. Obvs Lee Bowyer would question that though, what with him being thicker than pig poop.

Oct 31, 2015
PL2 3DQ":32jy7fz8 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":32jy7fz8 said:

:) :) :) mgm is back. Been quiet since November

Dec 2, 2010
We lost to the better team today. Was I disappointed...YES! Am I downhearted....NO!

I was proud to be there today and cheer my team on, knowing the adversity of the start of the season, the brilliant run since December, and the problems of the last couple of weeks. Today proved a game too far, but we are far too game, and it could have been different with a bit of luck and we have everything to play for.

DEREK ADAM's GREEN & WHITE ARMY!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Metal_Green_Mickey":3c9okvoe said:

I think we done remarkably well to be where we are. Proud of the team. Yet to get to be a side getting promoted to league 1 l feel we have too many defensive issues, even with Bradley back, and lack of pace throughout the side will be our endoing. For example, today Charlton left sided player waltz into our own half in a couple of occasions and never got challenged until reaching our penalty box. That can't be right way for a top 6 side to defend like that. This kind of scenerio happens in games a few times and let think highlights our deficiencies.
Just when you think things couldn't get any worse today, along comes a second long post. I am confursed by the sentence containing "to get to be a side getting promoted to league 1 l feel we have too many defensive issues,". Isn't that something we have already achieved?