Brief Synopsis!!! (Barnsley) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Barnsley)

Feb 2, 2007
This will be one of the most unjustifiable relegations in the history of the club.

1. Off-field supposed stability- no admin, turmoil, hated Chairman (McCauley) etc
2. Managerial stability and a supposedly calibre manager
3. United and supportive fanbase generally travel well in numbers and not toxic at home.
4. Mid-table calibre squad and wage budget.
5. At least 8 very poor calibre sides in L1 this season

So one can only demise that it's the recruitment, tactics, team spirit that is the problem.

And that comes down 2. being the main source of the problem.

May 5th, Adams Out, whatever the outcome. :banghead:

May 30, 2008
Camberley, Surrey
nick_PASTIE":2j6geor8 said:
This will be one of the most unjustifiable relegations in the history of the club.

1. Off-field supposed stability- no admin, turmoil, hated Chairman (McCauley) etc
2. Managerial stability and a supposedly calibre manager
3. United and supportive fanbase generally travel well in numbers and not toxic at home.
4. Mid-table calibre squad and wage budget.
5. At least 8 very poor calibre sides in L1 this season

So one can only demise that it's the recruitment, tactics, team spirit that is the problem.

And that comes down 2. being the main source of the problem.

May 5th, Adams Out, whatever the outcome. :banghead:

Problem is if by some miracle we manage to stay up with this awful side, it will be seen as an achievement and they will give him another season

Come to think of it they will give him another season if we do get relegated

I for one won't be putting any more money in to the club until this fool is removed

Oct 20, 2015
I wasn't expecting a win. In fact I was hoping for a masterclass in dour Scottish parking the bus tactics. But we didn't get that. We got the same old porridge we've been served all season, except with Taylor falling over up front.

We've got to beat Accy and at least get a point v Sarfend, otherwise we're going down. Wimbledon got a point today and are proving hard to beat. We are not hard to beat. We're s__t.

Sep 2, 2008
We were completely dominated in all areas today. I don't think the Barnsley centre backs even broke sweat. Barnsley were stronger, quicker, confident, composed and nine times out of ten made the right decision. We need to forget this game really quickly. We huffed and puffed but have to accept that we didn't have a cat in hells chance of getting anything out of that game so we need to move on. I'm not saying that we have to bury our heads in the sand just saying that to dwell on todays display will only serve to damage already fragile confidence levels. The plus side for us is that I'm pretty sure that Accrington and Scunthorpe will not present us the same problems or dominate us as Barnsley have done, so we have a decent chance of surviving in this league. It really is still in our hands....at least thats something to be thankful for.

Mar 14, 2009
Two teams. Played like two divisions apart. Argyle (league a league two side) and Barnsley (championship).

One team played with five or six players ahead of the ball with passing options. The other team lumped it to a player that was asked to win lumped balls 50:50 balls but didn’t have the team mates around him for support.

In essence, once Barnsley scored we just threw in the towel. By half time it was over. Turned into a training ground match. Letheren saved us from a real hammering with some very good saves.

Adams continued to do nothing second half. Same system. Same players. Until 10 mins from the end when he made pointless substitutions. Why leave it so late? Argyle weren’t making an impact earlier so why not change things at half time?

Barnsley were a very good side. Played some decent football but it’s against a side who are putting in the effort but lack any organisation, cutting edge and movement. We are looking like a side resigned to be relegated.

We need a miracle because simply put the confidence in this side has evaporated.

Sep 2, 2008
slingsby_pobble":2azismie said:
I wasn't expecting a win. In fact I was hoping for a masterclass in dour Scottish parking the bus tactics. But we didn't get that. We got the same old porridge we've been served all season, except with Taylor falling over up front.

We've got to beat Accy and at least get a point v Sarfend, otherwise we're going down. Wimbledon got a point today and are proving hard to beat. We are not hard to beat. We're s__t.

...and you've had a bit too much of the loopy juice.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
slingsby_pobble":123pmfcn said:

When do we play Sarfend again?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
On paper it’s not THAT bad. We lost to a team with a Bundesliga manager and Championship players, and we now have two teams against much, much worse opposition that we should get something from to stay up.

In reality, the team is completely shot of confidence and you can smell relegation in the air.

I’m now expecting the worst.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The fans didn't deserve a performance like that and the fans certainly don't deserve a relegation.

It comes down to a two game shoot-out and the way the players heads dropped today after the first Barnsley goal I doubt if this lot would have the bottle for grind out a draw let alone a much needed win.

The players were not helped by a poor set of officials - the second goal was offside and the third was from a dubious free-kick decision, however too many players just went through the motions - notably Sarcevic, Carey and Taylor, only Letheren, Songo'o and Jones can emerge with any credit.
The starting line-up had seven players who have enjoyed promotion at Argyle which shows that Adams relies on these players too much and the squad has stagnated. Barnsley showed that pace and runners from midfield and looked a class above our pedestrian team. Whatever happens for next season the team needs pace.

Any team will suffer when losing its top scorer and it showed today when Freddie Ladapo was ruled out, Ryan Taylor came in and struggled.
The formation was the usual 4-2-3-1 and we started the game really well, forcing Barnsley back, the fans responded by really getting behind the team.

We had a couple of spells of early pressure but had to be wary of Barnsley's tactic of sweeping a long diagonal ball from their right to our right which Threlkeld dealt with in the early stages. However, one diagonal ball found its way between Edwards and Threlkeld and from a difficult angle Woodrow fired across Letheren and into the far corner.
All that good early work was undone by a lapse of concentration in defence.

The heads dropped, the tackles were weak, Carey swapped his boots for flip-flops and Sarcevic was checking his passport.

Barnsley were now forcing us back and we couldn't cope, the second goal was offside but in truth we left Brown unmarked and got punished.
How many would Barnsley score?

Taylor was outmuscled, outbattled and outfought for every high ball and when he was fouled he received no protection from the referee, the result was that every high ball came right back at us.

Lameiras was adjudged to have handled the ball 20 yards out from goal, it was a very harsh decision and Mowatt fired the free-kick over the wall and into the top corner. 3-0, game and possible the season now over.

The players, devoid of any leader on the pitch, shrunk even further into themselves, we were now all praying for half time, realising there would be no Easter resurrection.

There were no changes for the second half, although Sarcevic dropped a little deeper, it seemed damage limitation was the buzzword for the second half.
We huffed and puffed and still the long balls to Taylor didn't work, Letheren made a couple of great saves to keep the scoreline down.

With 10 minutes left Adams made a triple substitution with one of those going off being Lameiras which was met with chants of "You don't know what you're doing."
Fletcher was one of the subs and did win a couple of headers which is more than Taylor did.

Job done for the second half in which we settled for a 0-0 but we lost the first half by 3-0 and it could have been more.

The game always looked like Barnsley had an extra player so was their dominance, although at times they did have the ref and the Lyndhurst linesman on their side.

I's be very surprised if this group of players can score another goal in the remaining two games, especially if Ladapo is missing, let alone win a game.

Carey's performance was shocking, he's always been praised for his workrate but today he showed little effort, passion or spirit.
The same for Sarcevic who just ambled through the game.

Despite the three goals Letheren and Jones played well and sad that a loan player showed more commitment than players under contract.
Songo'o showed how it should be done with crunching tackles and good passing - he's one player who won't give up, if only we had 11 Songo'o's.

Apart from the first 10 minutes we were just too slow, too disorganised and the only gameplan was to hit it to Taylor's head which clearly wasn't working.

Poor.

Well played Barnsley.

Man of the Match - Songo'o.

Letheren 7, Threlkeld 5, Edwards 4, Jones 7, Sawyer 5, Fox 5, Songo'o 7, Sarcevic 4, Carey 3, Lameiras 6, Taylor 4.
Subs - Ness 5, Anderson 5, Fletcher 6.

Mar 20, 2008
Wasn’t expecting anything from t(e game, and unhappily I was right

Playing okay until we ent 1-0 down and then it never looked like we would get back

Thought Ryan Taylor was poor and if Freddie is fit he has got to come back in. For all the grief Adams has got for taking of Lameiras - in my view he has contributed little to the last two games and taking him off was a logical decision.

Fingers crossed Accrington and Scunthorpe are worse than us and we get some luck (I think we are gong to need it )

Sep 2, 2008
I know its still in our own hands but I wouldn't mind getting a bit of help from Rochdale when they play Southend. Otherwise, I can potentially see us and Scunny going down especially when I look at the last two games for the Wombles....

Oct 20, 2015
AdelaideGreen":3rnoc9of said:
slingsby_pobble":3rnoc9of said:

When do we play Sarfend again?

Scunny :doh: in my defence they both begin with the same letter...

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
We can’t let it go down to the last game needing a win.

This team just don’t have the bottle or ability to pull anything off.

Mar 18, 2006
Left as soon as the third goal went in today so cannot comment on the second half as I didn’t see any of it .

We were well beaten by a far better team and anyone who says over wise is deluded .
Why people talk about Accrington is beyond me, when they beat us next Saturday (and they will ) they will be safe. We will need to beat Scunthorpe and hope results go our way , but I simply can’t see this shower of poo doing That. Simply can’t defend and need to score 2 every game to get a point . Adams, Wotton all need to go , I know we don’t have the best budget in the league but some of the Players signed ( early in pre season) have been shocking and not good enough for this division . As I see it, we are going down and deservedly so.