Best player to put on a Argyle shirt - In your life time | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best player to put on a Argyle shirt - In your life time

Nov 2, 2004
Greenskin":2v13rwwk said:
Paul Mariner was the best player ever to play for Argyle,not just in my time but all time.My grandfather was a supporter since Argyle joined the league in 1920 and saw Black,Leslie,Bowden,Tadman,Carter,Tynan etc-he said that Mariner was the best of them all and 35 England caps would suggest he wasn't wrong.

Correct,he was so much better than anyone else who has played for Argyle.He left Argyle and the following year became Englands centre forward.He did not improve much after leaving us,at Argyle he was a brilliant footballer.

Honourable mentions for King tommy and Johnny Williams.

greeneagle

✅ Evergreen
Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
ealinggreen":3qojlolj said:
Greenskin":3qojlolj said:
Paul Mariner was the best player ever to play for Argyle,not just in my time but all time.My grandfather was a supporter since Argyle joined the league in 1920 and saw Black,Leslie,Bowden,Tadman,Carter,Tynan etc-he said that Mariner was the best of them all and 35 England caps would suggest he wasn't wrong.

Correct,he was so much better than anyone else who has played for Argyle.He left Argyle and the following year became Englands centre forward.He did not improve much after leaving us,at Argyle he was a brilliant footballer.

Honourable mentions for King tommy and Johnny Williams.

Tend to agree you EG.

I'd also give Tony Book a mention. Top class defender.

Feb 21, 2011
Paul Dalton, plenty of names on here who were good but Dalton was what every fan wants in their team an exciting tricky goalscoring midfielder.

M

marin(er)

Furnell
Brown
Heathcote
Coughlan
Cooper
Dalton
Friio
Castle
Halmosi
Mariner
Tynan
Subs
Rafferty
Mpenza
Norris
Bason
Hodge (gk)
McCall
Foster

Mgr... Warnock

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Clem":26pgug2n said:
Paul Mariner followed by Wilf Carter followed by Johnny Williams for me followed by Pat Jones, god that makes me old.
Quite a collection of famous names - and all deserved. I can never understand how Wilf Carter has never been inducted into the Hall of Fame. Quite the most exciting of my time watching. I never realised how good he was until he still scored goals in the struggling 1959-60 side.

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
It has to be Jimmy Gauld. Mr Fixer who went inside for fixing matches after he left Argyle.

There was a buzz as soon as he got the ball, his close control when he ran full speed had to be seen to be believed, and amounted to lots of free kicks, and penalties, which made Wilf Carter a top goalscorer.

The only other player who had a similar affect, was Charlie Twissell part time winger who was a amatuer International

Dec 19, 2008
Mariner left Argyle the year I was born.

The most gifted player I ever saw play for us was probably John Matthews and although Tommy Tynan scored many, many goals for us, Matthews was a player I loved to watch; he seemed to walk around the pitch. In terms of the best player, as an all round footballer, it has to be David Norris. When he arrived, he was raw but he improved every season and we sold him for £2m; he isn't the greatest footballer we've ever had play for us in recent times but he performed for us in every single game. It was a real pleasure to see him play for us.

Against us there's two that stick out - Gazza (although that was a friendly) and Charlie Adam when he single handedly won the game for Blackpool.

Y2J

Dec 28, 2004
Cornwall
Halmosi for me, then Norris and Gallagher.

Selling Mariner and Rafferty must have been such a bitter pill to swallow. It showed that we weren't serious about the First Division once again.

Jul 6, 2011
David_Fisher":2fxnhz1z said:
Paul Mariner.

He's the one and only out of those I've seen

equal 2nd:
Ernie Machin
Bill Rafferty (ahead of TT, because of the assists & he created many of his goals himself in the lead up)
Paul Dalton
Jim Furnell (easily our greatest goalie since Bill Short)