Best player to put on a Argyle shirt - In your life time | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best player to put on a Argyle shirt - In your life time

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
:nworthy: :nworthy:King Tommy :nworthy: :nworthy: :nworthy: :nworthy: :nworthy: (I've built in length of service and consistency - could he have made it in the 1st Div (Prem) in those days ??)

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Only one way to follow that DF ... Billy Rafferty!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Scott Sinclair.

But ignoring him as he was a loanee, undoubtedly David Norris for me. Skilfull, hard working, goalscoring, influential etc.. this list of his qualities is endless.

G

Greenskin

Paul Mariner was the best player ever to play for Argyle,not just in my time but all time.My grandfather was a supporter since Argyle joined the league in 1920 and saw Black,Leslie,Bowden,Tadman,Carter,Tynan etc-he said that Mariner was the best of them all and 35 England caps would suggest he wasn't wrong.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Greenskin":3uji8tom said:
Paul Mariner was the best player ever to play for Argyle,not just in my time but all time.My grandfather was a supporter since Argyle joined the league in 1920 and saw Black,Leslie,Bowden,Tadman,Carter,Tynan etc-he said that Mariner was the best of them all and 35 England caps would suggest he wasn't wrong.

It all depends on whether we're talking about how good they were when they were here - or what they went on to achieve after leaving Argyle.

It's a funny one this. I'm guessing but I'd reckon 35 England Caps would put Mariner in the same sort of bracket as strikers like Jermain Defoe/Peter Crouch.

We're talking about decent strikers here, but I'd have to say I don't think Defoe/Crouch/Mariner are/would be good enough to play for Man City.

So for me it would be Sinclair. Being in or around the Man City first 11 tells you all you need to know really. His best will come as far as England's concerned I reckon.

Dalton was/is my all-time favourite, mind.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Paul Mariner

as for him 'not being good enough to play for Man City'?? :shock:

I can only assume you never saw him play

Dzeko good enough - Mariner not?

btw Mariner was a great player whilst with us, the best I've ever seen.
King Tommy as a great goalscorer,
Steve McCall My Lord Steve McCall as a great midfield playmaker and a true lesson in how simple a game football can be,
Mariner was a great player. :nworthy:

A

Alderney Green

Steve McCall
Paul Dalton
Steve Castle

Have only seen Argyle a handful of times since i left UK, if i hadn't i'm sure David Norris, Peter Halmosi would be on the list too.