Argyle U 23 v Exeter U23 Premier League Cup Match thread | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle U 23 v Exeter U23 Premier League Cup Match thread

Sep 12, 2015
I think I disagree with the consensus on Randell (who incidentally is also younger than most of those playing for Exeter today).

He and Law were the only players really able to compete physically, and he was constantly involved, finding space, making himself available and spreading nice passes about.

The issue he had was that the recipients of those passes were quickly closed down aggressively, or beaten to the ball, by faster, stronger opponents.
We all have different opinions, but personally what I have seen in the last two cup matches Newport and Exeter , he’s not had particular stand out games.

Mar 14, 2009
So last season we took Okopu, 22, and Watts, 21, from Fulham and Newcastle. It’s a decent level of youth team football. They had also had some first team experience but not much. More though than today’s players.

My point is they really struggled in a back 3 system. This 3-1-4-2 system is very open especially to counter attack. As we insist on playing out from the back then we will be vulnerable at whatever level of football we play.

Now if youngster like Okopu and Watts struggled then we have to expect our youngsters to struggle to get to grips with this system. It’s hard enough to ask seasoned pro’s to play this system never mind the youngsters.

I’m sure they will be disappointed about today but l feel you will be exposed in this system if you can’t keep the ball well.

We have to remember too some players won’t suit all systems. Whilst l feel Randell is a good player it maybe that the 3-1-4-2 doesn’t suit him. I very much doubt for Torquay he was playing in anything but organised 4ATB formation.

Mar 14, 2009
MGM - do you not like the 3-1-4-2 (or 3-5-2) formation then?
;)
Actually it’s not about whether l like the system, this time. :eek::eek: (Sorry only emoji l could find suitable)

It’s that even those who do love it must admit it’s a very difficult to play this system if your a defender, or a defensive midfielder. And a young one at that.

So l know it doesn’t look that way, but l was defending the kids that had to play that system today. It’s difficult not only asking youngsters to focus on defending but to play like a Beckenbauer too, from the back.

Remember these are not top academy premiership kids either. I just have some sympathy for them when a match like this gets analysed.

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Noooooo. You either win 2-1 or you lose 2-1. In normal speak that is, you don't say "we lost 1-2" Quote by Rodney Bewes in Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads, "No Hiding Place." :)
I agree, but no-one said we lost 2-1
The post was “FT 2-1”

By convention, 2 to the home team and 1 to the away.

if the post was “lost 2-1” then ok. There is a subtle difference.

Reactions: dunlop
Dec 30, 2020
One final observation on this game... Exeter seem to have been able to field a slightly older team as a result of keeping on more players as professionals after finishing their scholarships, often sending them out on loan to local non league clubs.

They currently have 4 players on loan around the Westcountry. Seymour, who scored their 2 goals, is 22 and has played on loan at 4 different clubs apparently without properly breaking into the Exeter first team.

Difficult to say whether this is the right approach for Argyle. Obviously even on low wages, it's going to cost Exeter a bit to offer more young players pro terms. Also means that fewer of their 16-18 year olds will get their chance in games like today's (though the better ones will now get to test themselves against Premier League clubs).

But given Exeter's recent successes with their youth development, it does make me wonder if Argyle are a bit too quick to make a judgement on whether or not our players are going to make it...

Last edited:
Reactions: Superguy

NLG

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Actually it’s not about whether l like the system, this time. :eek::eek: (Sorry only emoji l could find suitable)

It’s that even those who do love it must admit it’s a very difficult to play this system if your a defender, or a defensive midfielder. And a young one at that.

So l know it doesn’t look that way, but l was defending the kids that had to play that system today. It’s difficult not only asking youngsters to focus on defending but to play like a Beckenbauer too, from the back.

Remember these are not top academy premiership kids either. I just have some sympathy for them when a match like this gets analysed.
The more you play the system, the better you become at it. Surely its better to have the youngsters playing the same system as the first team, so you are more able to fit into the system when called upon, than something expedient to win a game ?

FWIW, I really like this system, it may not suit all our players (yet), but what it does do is allow spectators to watch football, see players at the limit of their technical ability trying to play football on the ground and provides some real excitement when it works. I agree we can sometimes do with changing the system, sometimes bring on substitutes earlier and loads of other things we could criticise the manager for, but actually rather than continually go on about this and the flaws in the system, I would rather encourage the more positive aspects of what we are seeing, namely football played on the ground, players that you can actually see developing and excitement at both ends of the pitch.