Argyle U 23 v Exeter U23 Premier League Cup Match thread | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle U 23 v Exeter U23 Premier League Cup Match thread

Dec 30, 2020
I think I disagree with the consensus on Randell (who incidentally is also younger than most of those playing for Exeter today).

He and Law were the only players really able to compete physically, and he was constantly involved, finding space, making himself available and spreading nice passes about.

The issue he had was that the recipients of those passes were quickly closed down aggressively, or beaten to the ball, by faster, stronger opponents.

Reactions: ealinggreen
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Can't understand team selection no match for two weeks with 3 senior players allowed plus anyone u23 surely it would if made sense for senior players to play to ensure we got theough to the next round a d then give our junior players chance to play a against the Premier teams

I can't even begin to imagine the hysteria on here if important first team players featured in the youth cup and they picked up an injury. The only one that could've done with a run out is George Cooper to pick up some match fitness, but he's currently got a minor injury himself. First team has to be the priority.

May 8, 2011
If Argyle were taking the competition seriously why did we field such a young team. You can play 3 overage players so Wilson, Burton could have played to get some game time and Garrick could have also played.
It was important to win this game to get to the group stage when the youngsters could get 6 matches to play in.
Exeter who have a first team game tomorrow had a 33 year old playing. Perhaps they have a bigger squad then us to pick from.

Nov 2, 2004
I think I disagree with the consensus on Randell (who incidentally is also younger than most of those playing for Exeter today).

He and Law were the only players really able to compete physically, and he was constantly involved, finding space, making himself available and spreading nice passes about.

The issue he had was that the recipients of those passes were quickly closed down aggressively, or beaten to the ball, by faster, stronger opponents.
I agree with this I thought Randell was by some way our best player.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
Why did I forget my sun glasses! Enjoyable to watch.

Best two players on the pitch Law and Seymour. As noted by others Exeter much bigger than us (Except Seymour), the key issue was tactical we kept lobbing long high balls none of which we won. It was only in the second half when we kept the ball on the ground that we looked in it.
First half Exeter made very few errors, whereas we had a number of silly ball control and unforced passing errors.

It seemed that it was Exeter who tired first, and in the last twenty of so several were no where near as fast, strong or effective as they had been. Then we came into it. Not sure what the second was disallowed for, the only thing it could have been would have been a push in the back by law on the defender. But as these were allowed all game for both sides it was odd start to give one right at the end. Could not be anything on the goalie as he only came into the picture when the ball was in the back of the net.

Randell was mostly playing a defensive role, so it is harder to shine but for the first thirty minutes he looked out of the game. He did then come into the game more. You could see that Law and Randell looked more comfortable on the ball than all our other players, and had more options when under pressure.

I like the look of Angel Wariuh, quick, direct and tenacious - he did not give up. I also thought Rutherford looked very good in the second half, he was atomic in the last twenty. He is strong and stocky and one of the few of our players physically able to dish it back. I could see him making it.

Good for their development, just a shame the first team squad size is too small to have stiffened the under 23s with a few older more physical heads.

edited to note Pursall looked good especially his corners, though I think we should have tried some short corners to pull the, out of their comfort zone.

Reactions: GoGoGreen

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Can't understand team selection no match for two weeks with 3 senior players allowed plus anyone u23 surely it would if made sense for senior players to play to ensure we got theough to the next round a d then give our junior players chance to play a against the Premier teams

Agree with that, Wilson could have done with a game, Camara and Galloway would have been away on international duty but didn't go so they could have played as well, although we did play our third choice striker which was surprising.

Jan 4, 2016
Prior to the game I was hoping to see Garrick tried out as a striker.
Could have been worth experimenting with, considering he has been subbed on as up front cover previously?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Having watched the match today, who could possibly slot in if the two first team forwards got injured!?
We wouldn’t play 2 strikers.

Not rocket science

Aug 17, 2005
Okay firstly Cooper could of been in goal as under 23. As said Nelson could of been given a run out due to his suspension. Garrick I would of liked to see right side of midfield. Hardie upfront would of caused them problems. If not starting surely it would of been better on the subs bench instead of bringing on a 15 year old

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Read it again!! if two strikers that are fit at present got injured at the same time. Now answer the question!?
The same answer would apply.