Anyone else see this on TV the other night? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Anyone else see this on TV the other night?

GreenTom

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Dec 20, 2022
I wonder why they don't just say it's Looe? Very strange that.
I'd not seen this but the only thing that jumps to mind is that much wasn't filmed in Looe. A few years back there was a Detective Serial called Broadchurch which was ostensibly set in West Bay, Dorset but much of the town centre filimg was done in Clevedon.

It doesn't bug me as much the generic west country accent that gets put on but sounds more like they are from Norwich!

Mar 22, 2020
I'd not seen this but the only thing that jumps to mind is that much wasn't filmed in Looe. A few years back there was a Detective Serial called Broadchurch which was ostensibly set in West Bay, Dorset but much of the town centre filimg was done in Clevedon.

It doesn't bug me as much the generic west country accent that gets put on but sounds more like they are from Norwich!
I said Norwich too as soon as I heard the first attempt. Then realised it was Lynne from I'm Alan Partridge playing the part.

May 16, 2016
I wonder if anyone who hears the accent associated with their area in a TV series has the same cringe as we might when hearing the portrayal of any accent west of Bristol.

The use and perception of accent is interesting as even in this day and age it will influence the perception of someone hearing it. You could be the most intelligent person on earth but if you sounded like a North Cornish farmer, people would write off whatever you said as you said it !

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Indeed - that's why this series is called Beyond Paradise. He and Sally Bretton play the same characters.
I didn't watch Death in Paradise but I quite like Beyond Paradise in an "it's absolutely rubbish but also a bit of harmless escapism" kind of way. However, I have to say that the Sally Bretton character really gets on my nerves. She's such a whiney drip of a person.

May 22, 2006
When there was a thread about the first series (surprised a new thread on same subject is allowed), it was mentioned that Zahra Ahmadi, who plays the DS is from Plymouth, so her accent should be pretty good.

Seems to be less Argyle references in Series 2, which makes it even less watchable.

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
I didn't watch Death in Paradise but I quite like Beyond Paradise in an "it's absolutely rubbish but also a bit of harmless escapism" kind of way. However, I have to say that the Sally Bretton character really gets on my nerves. She's such a whiney drip of a person.
Same woman who was in the first series of The Office staying with Brent

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
On the location point, all aged former trainspotters will have noted that while the town and sea shots were Looe all the railway scenes were on the South Devon line from Paignton to Kingswear, and the steam engine changed during one short journey. Sad of me even to spot such points.

Reactions: L G
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
That description also pretty much sums up Death in Paradise! Well, maybe that's too harsh, although it's definitely got crappier over the years.

Humphrey's foible in DiP (what's a TV detective without a foible?) was clumsiness and general gaucheness, and I gave up on the first episode of BP when I saw that those aspects were being exaggerated further for 'comic' effect. Maybe that settled down after a while; I'd like to think so.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
No his clumsiness is still there.
Managed to get the Trains whistle caught on his sleeve, and then take off the brake with his leg so the train started rolling.
And all the bits of paper (small post it notes, receipts etc) that he jots down from his different interviews with suspects.
Only a couple of Argyle references in that first episode, the one that Ian shared in the OP about "an Argyle fan coming from Hastings", don't they know that Argyle are MASSIVE!!