Alex Battle re-signs for Argyle | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Alex Battle re-signs for Argyle

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
The issue here is we offered a contract and so because we have developed him and his age we are entitled to compensation from another club.

If AB is in limbo it is because the other club don't want to pay adequate compensation or risk a tribunal which I assume will be the situation if the clubs are deadlocked over his value.

AB entirely within his right to reject our offer....PAFC entirely within their rights to insist on compensation

If the other club ( or clubs) don't want to pay compensation they are entirely within their right to not proceed with an offer.

From the club perspective if we don't insist on what we believe we are due what message does it send to other players/clubs....

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
IJN":3oi1nive said:
Where does that leave Alex though?

Either hold out in the hope that Bolton change their mind or another club come in and give him a contract and are willing to pay agreed fee or risk tribunal.

OR

Return to Adams and except contract.

I guess if Adams withdraws the contract offer then AB can then go for free?

May 8, 2011
IJN":3n36upbb said:
Where does that leave Alex though?

Not in a good place because the Club who wants to sign him can’t value him very highly and he is probably not in Derek Adams good books which is definitely not a good place to be.

The Club got criticised for letting players like Bradley and Threlkeld leave for free, just think of the criticism of Argyle if they didn’t seek compensation or a fee or add ons for Battle and he got a move like Isaac Vassell did.

Oct 31, 2015
Pele10":39q87s7p said:
rsp4":39q87s7p said:
Probably agent or family advising which could leave the lad without a decent pre season.

Money can be the route of evil.

Hope it gets sorted soon for his sake because the club just wont let him go and he would have known that when he signed his pro contract.

Sad state of affairs

DA told him not part of plans...so goes Bolton....does well 3 year deal...Argyle whack it into reverse, then say not part of DA plans but club will want him (so as to get compensation).

Boy was guilty of not getting it in writing so as to be able to leave on a free.

3 year professional contract with Bolton playing in Professional Development League or 1 year professional contract, but with minimal time spent training with 1st team, mainly playing SWPL opposition on park pitches, ok 12 games in new reserve league....hmmmmmmm
Money is the route of all evil, but you cant point the finger at the player and not the club.
rsp4, if Alex was your son, what would you advise him to do?

Wow Pete that is ugly if true.

If being offered a contract by current employer he probably has 3 x options

1. Agree to new contract with current employer
2. With no offer from another employer dont return and be out of work in the football world
3. Get the employers talking to see if a deal can be struck. Maybe he takes a lesser wage at new employer and the clubs negotiate something.

I think option 1 may be his only option and then work his socks off to get something in the future. I suspect option 3 would be best for all parties but lets hope option 2 does not happen for the lads sake.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
If above is true, his only option if no agreement reached is to take the deal on the table from Argyle.

The length/value of the contract offered is taken in to consideration with any compensation deal so I'm sure the club would have set it at a level that it's not completely insulting in order to maximise the potential compensation they thought they were about to receive.

It may be harsh for Battle, but he'll have to get on with it unfortunately.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Does the lad not have an agent? He is paid to sort out situations like this for the maximum benefit of his client. If the agent is not performing young Battle should sack him an appoint another who perhaps is more experienced and can provide a better service.

Aug 26, 2011
You can not blame the club for wanting compensation, or indeed undertaking whatever is necessary to ensure they get compensation.

Perhaps it is a lesson for others, when told no part of DA's plans then he should have severed all ties with the club and been officially released, and then gone for trials. It is a harsh place to form a career and at times can seem brutal the way some lads are dropped by the club, but that is what it is and part and parcel of the industry in which these lads are trying to pursue a career.

He is in a horrible position and all that seems available to him is committing to another year playing in SWPL and not even training with the first team. That is limited chance for progression and improving his game.

Somehow, I really hope it works out for the lad.

Aug 5, 2016
Quintrell_Green":29ubtgqe said:
Does the lad not have an agent? He is paid to sort out situations like this for the maximum benefit of his client. If the agent is not performing young Battle should sack him an appoint another who perhaps is more experienced and can provide a better service.

Battle is likely earning around £100 a week and was told he's surplus to requirements if rumours are to be believed.

I doubt he could afford an experienced football agent nor has them queuing at his door.

Aug 5, 2015
Yes rumours again! One day the truth may come out instead of someone’s version of it. In the meantime I hope he and Argyle can get something sorted out

Aug 26, 2011
Think that rumour must be wrong - the 16 year old apprentices are on £104 per week

Personally I think the club should pay the lad a decent wage and have him training regularly with the first team, a commitment to developing him, or they should release him and let him try elsewhere

Feb 28, 2016
The club should let him go, for free. If Adams has said he is not part of his plans then who wins from trying to hold out for money? Not the player who will inevitably end up being held back playing in the SWPL and training with the U18s when the other club decides the gamble isn’t worth the financial price. Nor will Argyle gain any money when he inevitably ends up being released and signing for a Parkway after having his career strangled by the club.

The attitude (admittedly, it won’t be unique to Argyle.) Seems to be, that if we’re not going to use them, then neither can anyone else. I find that really disillusioning.

I don’t believe for a minute that it’s about money for him, nor do I believe the advice from agents and family is inherently bad advice. Frankly I find the arrogance, that the only right choice is staying here to be staggering. Like all things in life he will (hopefully be able to make a choice, rather than the Hobsons choice of Argyle or Unemployment.) He and those he trusts will have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide what to do for the best.

However when the chips are down, he can’t look back and have any regrets, or think what if.

Aug 2, 2011
And so it goes on. No one on here knows the full facts of the situation and yet many are happy to make all sorts of comments without regard to the factual position. But it does become a lovely issue for the negatives to kick the club regardless of the facts.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
If Bolton have offered him a three year contract to play in their development team that hardly screams "first team football".
It means in three years time he will still be in a development contract.

If Argyle offered that there would be outrage by few.
A one year development contract at Argyle could see him on a "proper" professional contract in 12 months time.

The "battle" here is in the head of young Alex. Does he think he is good enough?
If the answer is yes, he should be on the training ground proving it.

Patience and hard work required, he's still starting out. If he's good enough and applies himself he can make a name for himself here and move on to better things.

If a club want to offer the money for him so be it, but Argyle are entitled to it.
That's football and that's life - it ain't easy and Alex will learn that.

Either way, he ought to make his decision sharpish..

Feb 8, 2005
Whatever happens, the lad has cost Argyle money to get him up to the standard that he is, and if he signs for another professional club then Argyle are entitled to compensation.

He has been offered a contract with us, although allegedly he is not in Adams plans.

He therefore has to make a decision as to what his future is and where he wants to be playing.

Whatever he decides, he has already left it late, but for his sake I hope he makes the right decision.