Alex Battle re-signs for Argyle | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Alex Battle re-signs for Argyle

Aug 5, 2015
No I don’t underestimate him. If he makes it at Bolton great, but as he’s nowhere near our first team what makes you think he’ll get into the Bolton first team. Surely the competition is fiercer and the level of expectation higher there than here?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
He's nowhere near our first team because we don't play a formation where he fits. Bolton may suit him. Good luck to the lad!

Aug 5, 2016
Kentishgreen":2q970uyg said:
No I don’t underestimate him. If he makes it at Bolton great, but as he’s nowhere near our first team what makes you think he’ll get into the Bolton first team. Surely the competition is fiercer and the level of expectation higher there than here?

Adams could have a 5' 7" forward who finishes like Antoine Griezmann, but if he can't control long balls, bring others into play and play intelligently then DA won't play him up front.

How is Battle or Fletcher going to conceivably kick Taylor out of this team? They either need to learn to be outstanding on the wing or look at finding clubs who are looking for pacey finishers. The trouble is, are they really pacey finishers at League One/professional level, or is it only SWPL defenders they can make chances against?

Jul 6, 2011
Knibbsworth":2kyqxy9t said:
Kentishgreen":2kyqxy9t said:

Adams could have a 5' 7" forward who finishes like Antoine Griezmann, but if he can't control long balls, bring others into play and play intelligently then DA won't play him up front.

How is Battle or Fletcher going to conceivably kick Taylor out of this team? They either need to learn to be outstanding on the wing or look at finding clubs who are looking for pacey finishers. The trouble is, are they really pacey finishers at League One/professional level, or is it only SWPL defenders they can make chances against?

I never saw Battle as an out and out striker, more in the Lameiras/Carey role. He can strike a ball from a good 20 yards out and find the net.

Jun 10, 2017
Kentishgreen":2bg9clqu said:
I don’t think it’s a case of their level of expectations being higher than Ours, it’s more a case of they are better equipt to help him reach a first team by playing regular quality opponents in a professional U23 set up

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Knibbsworth":mpi8scwh said:
Kentishgreen":mpi8scwh said:

You have asked a good question there. Such are the demands for success in professional soccer these days, that it is not easy to throw a young player into the thick of competitive league games, when the manager just hopes that they will contribute positively. A young player must have that additional star quality in order to stand in for an injured player when required.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
If tied to a relatively rigid detailed system, like Adams chooses, asking a youngster to imitate a seasoned forward is doomed to failure, cart before horse isn’t it.

I like that Adams typical invests less of limited resource in the least influential positions like goalie full backs and defensive midfield. Only there do any young options stand any chance of a “career” at HP at present.

Aug 5, 2015
Alex is good but he ain’t no Antoine Griezman. He isn’t even the Antoine Griezman of League one or League two. Let’s hope he stays with us and becomes that player

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
If he is off to Bolton for 3x what we offered, I am surprised that it hasn’t been announced yet. Maybe Bolton are shirking on the youth compensation fee.

Still hoping he stays here.

Jul 6, 2011
Have looked on the under 18s and 23s Bolton website and there's nothing, what has happened to this young man?

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Unfortunately all the Argyle teams listed have not been updated if you look on the first team page we still have Mathews and Bradley etc...

Oct 24, 2010
Knibbsworth":rrauol5q said:
Kentishgreen":rrauol5q said:

If they are good enough they will force their way into the team. Not sure how tall Messi is but I'm sure Derek would find a place for him if he was available

I remember reading somewhere that DA saw alex battle as a number 10 not a lone striker.
Never seen the boy tbh so cannot comment on him.
If he does stay, there could be an opportunity for him here sometime in the future as we are playing
with 2 no 10s at the moment. Hopefully long into the future too as i love the stylish footie that
comes with it.
The other alex (fletch)i have seen a few times at home and i think he did ok as the lone ranger.
Just needs to baulk up a bit which should happen naturally as he is still developing physically.
Dont have to be tall to play the role. Just strong on the ball with a good first touch and plenty
of movement into space. Dalglish for example wasnt big but was incredibly strong on the ball.
Dont need to win headers just do enough to put off his opponent so we have a better chance to win the
second balls. We all know he can finish and get on the end of crosses so he is half way there now.
Maybe a loan at some point might help though he really needs to play a lone striker role which is
probably going to be hard to accomodate elsewhere.
All of these young uns need to work incredibly hard though if any are to make it.
Kev keegan said he didnt become european footballer of the year by possessing natural talent.
He did it by just working and working at it for hours and hours on the training ground.
Anything is possible if you want it enough being the motto.