Alex Battle re-signs for Argyle | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Alex Battle re-signs for Argyle

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Kentishgreen":3pncksgy said:
So we should just let all our players go for nothing? Just like when we were in administration
No but at the same time we need to use them for what they are, young developing players.

They need to be in and around the first team players in training learning from there mentors and rewarded with places on the bench and minutes on the pitch where possible.

To have them just pottering around the place and just training won’t allow them to develop sharply that only league match days can do to players.

If they are good enough then they are old enough and I’d reward a few of them with places on the bench before some of the older first trainers we have.

They are after all our future and players we’ve put time and effort into.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Good news, even if he does not look all that happy about it.

The subject header needs amending though. I thought he had resigned before I saw he had re-signed! :D

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Some posters seem to think that the manager can snap his fingers and loads of lower league clubs will come running.

He was unfortunate to get injured when he went to Salisbury on loan last season but he may have to continue to show his goal scoring potential in the EFL reserve league and SWPL.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Good luck to the lad. He wanted away, did not get any better offers, so to keep himself in a job signed the contract offered. If you love what you do you do anything to follow your dream. I do feel a loan out with the promise of regular pitch time will benefit him greatly.

Aug 5, 2016
Cult Of Personality":200idmii said:
Won't get a chance. Is behind Taylor Freddie Dyson fletcher and Grant. Argyle just making sure to get some money off him if he does sign a deal somewhere

Battle has the platform to outperform them in training and impress. He also can knock on DA's door and discuss a loan move to a level he thinks is suitable for him.

Adams played Fletcher last season at various points when he had more experienced options available. Maybe he is willing to recognise when a player is busting a gut in training or has hit form and deserves a chance.

Aug 2, 2011
Tugboat":3cv6axcj said:
Kentishgreen":3cv6axcj said:
So we should just let all our players go for nothing? Just like when we were in administration
No but at the same time we need to use them for what they are, young developing players.

They need to be in and around the first team players in training learning from there mentors and rewarded with places on the bench and minutes on the pitch where possible.

To have them just pottering around the place and just training won’t allow them to develop sharply that only league match days can do to players.

If they are good enough then they are old enough and I’d reward a few of them with places on the bench before some of the older first trainers we have.

One would like to think that they are our future but looking back over the last 15 years that has not been the case. Most not all of the majority of regular 1st team players in that time have been acquired from other clubs either as free agents, modest fees or loanees.

Oct 31, 2015
Probably his only option if he wanted to stay in pro football. Now go and prove everyone wrong, work your socks off, go out on loan and start pushing for 1st team football.

Welcome back even if it was not your no 1 choice.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Presto":cv7aqmhb said:
Tugboat":cv7aqmhb said:
Kentishgreen":cv7aqmhb said:

One would like to think that they are our future but looking back over the last 15 years that has not been the case. Most not all of the majority of regular 1st team players in that time have been acquired from other clubs either as free agents, modest fees or loanees.

That’s why i think the club needs to invest and make youth development a real big deal at the club or cut it right back and all but do away with it.

We are somewhere in between at the moment and not really achieving much for club or players.

Jul 6, 2011
Kentishgreen":1d9hyfam said:
I wonder when this will die?

It will live on forever and ever and ever...... ;)
Really happy that Alex has signed back on, a talented youngster who now needs to buckle down and prove he's worth the effort put into this thread.
I can speak personally when I say the standard of the youngsters is well a visit when they're playing. I'm sure a few of them will grace home park in years to come.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
According to reports, another fine performance from our young reserves against one of the top teams in SWPL (St Austell).

What does Alex Battle need to do to convince 'the powers that be' that he should be given a chance in the first team squad?

Following his hattrick last night, he has now scored 12 goals in the SWPL, 1 in the St Luke's Cup and one in the U23 Premier Cup this season. He has shown over the last few seasons that he can shoot from outside the box (other than Carey and Lameiras who in our first team squad can do that?) as well as scoring individual goals and tap ins.
I watched him closely in the U23 game against Derby County. He worked very hard, was always in the area when we were attacking, tracked back when we were defending and could well have scored from a cross by Jephcott that Fletcher got a touch on and diverted it away from him.
I may be wrong and probably the management is right that he is not quite up to League 1 standard but I do believe that he has done enough to warrant a chance in the first team squad or regularly training with them.
I have watched his progress, mainly on reports but also attending matches that he has played in, since he first came to prominence when scoring goals in the Northern Ireland Super Cup 4 or 5 years ago.
Since then, he has scored regularly for whatever team he has played in. It would be interesting to know his goals record per season; perhaps, NickSS (Argyle Life) can provide it?
I am sure that someone will suggest that I am a 'keyboard scout' and it may be that he will eventually have a similar success level to Tyler Harvey and Louis Rooney but I would just like to see Alex given a chance.
I should add that I have never met Alex or any of his family. It's just my opinion.