Adam's Post Match Excuses | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Adam's Post Match Excuses

Aug 5, 2016
Willis88":1lsqh8j7 said:
The team will be told the honest truth rather than the "we was robbed" rhetoric he gives the press.

I would hope the team are getting the rollocking they need to get themselves into gear, rather than making them feel hard done by the ref.

Forget what he tells the media, just be concerned what he's telling the team.

Exactly. I find it bizarre that grown men need to hear the managers reaction after a match, to then dissect every word and make sure it tallies with their opinion.

Managers use press conferences for all kinds of reasons.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I don't see what's wrong with his comments. He's right in saying that the penalty shout was a big moment, and he's right to criticise the defending for the goals.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Justin":1i8rcp14 said:
Argy1e":1i8rcp14 said:
I haven't seen the 'penalty' to this point so I can't say. But I hadn't seen anyone mention it before Adams' interview.

Maybe because those that didn’t even watch the match are making their opinion heard louder than anyone else.

But hey, let’s trust them over Adams.
Given Adams' track record of making outlandish comments in interviews, I'll take what he says with a pinch of salt until I've seen it. Normally, if we get denied a stonewall penalty those that did attend would have started about four threads moaning about officials and you'd be seeing comments about it all over the place. There weren't any. Even so, if the squad mentality is that weak that being denied a penalty has that big an effect then there is a serious problem.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
I wasn’t thrilled to see that Adams was awarded a new 5 year contract at the start of the season and am obviously even less convinced now.

Our players are generally offered 1 or 2 year deals to keep them ‘on their toes’ and performing well, yet he gets the security of a 5 year contract? How does that work?

The manager of a football club (or ‘Head of Football’, if you are inclined to call it that) is the single most powerful individual when it comes to the footballing side.

I think that to offer a person who has done pretty well but has shown his limitations such a long deal is something of a gamble as we surely cannot afford to buy out a £500k contract.

How many years did he have remaining at the start of this season? Three years? Would it not have made more sense to see how we started this season and then open contract negotiations?

With regards to the opening post, I personally found his comments about Portsmouth highly embarrassing.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Phil Sloggett":khzx9ayo said:
I wasn’t thrilled to see that Adams was awarded a new 5 year contract at the start of the season and am obviously even less convinced now.

Our players are generally offered 1 or 2 year deals to keep them ‘on their toes’ and performing well, yet he gets the security of a 5 year contract? How does that work?

The manager of a football club (or ‘Head of Football’, if you are inclined to call it that) is the single most powerful individual when it comes to the footballing side.

I think that to offer a person who has done pretty well but has shown his limitations such a long deal is something of a gamble as we surely cannot afford to buy out a £500k contract.

How many years did he have remaining at the start of this season? Three years? Would it not have made more sense to see how we started this season and then open contract negotiations?

With regards to the opening post, I personally found his comments about Portsmouth highly embarrassing.
if derek left tomorrow who would you appoint of the managers available please?

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Steve Evans":1kx6tz1c said:
Phil Sloggett":1kx6tz1c said:

If Derek Adams were to leave then I would first advertise the post and then go through the list of candidates, I would then compile a shortlist and interview a set of candidates (probably between 3 to 5 people, depending on the shortlist).

I don’t know who would succeed Derek Adams if he were to leave, as I don’t know who would be interested in replacing him, but I know that he would almost certainky not resign and it would be incredibly costly to sack him.

May 8, 2011
Phil Sloggett":1i746fbx said:

Why did you find it embarrassing?

He had 2 years 3 months remaining of his 4 year contract when it was extended in May.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
HC Green":zicgn4vw said:
Phil Sloggett":zicgn4vw said:

Why did you find it embarrassing?

He had 2 years 3 months remaining of his 4 year contract when it was extended in May.

“They can have their day today & rightly so they have won 3-0, but just have got to remember we have finished above them twice out of three seasons.”

These comments just sounded bitter and childish, that is why I found them embarrassing. It sounds like we were played off the park again yesterday (something the stats back up also) and our manager focuses on an early penalty shout and then says “Well Portsmouth need to remember we were better than them last year”.

Last year is finished. Derek Adams needs to put his ego to one side, stop winding others up and focus on improving our league position.

I stand corrected regarding his contract, I find it hard to believe clubs would be running to take him off our hands right now if he had just under two years left.

Sep 6, 2006
Phil Sloggett":1jvgahfp said:
Steve Evans":1jvgahfp said:
Phil Sloggett":1jvgahfp said:

If Derek Adams were to leave then I would first advertise the post and then go through the list of candidates, I would then compile a shortlist and interview a set of candidates (probably between 3 to 5 people, depending on the shortlist).

I don’t know who would succeed Derek Adams if he were to leave, as I don’t know who would be interested in replacing him, but I know that he would almost certainky not resign and it would be incredibly costly to sack him.

It would also be a much sought after job.

Dec 3, 2005
IJN":293k4mwl said:
The biggest stonewall penalty for years.

I had the perfect view and I was sitting next to Pompey fans and they agreed it was 100% a pen.

ONLY one persons decison matters, and on this occasion it wasn't given by the Ref - end of story.

Or shall we have a referendum?

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Unsure about the pen potential. Certain that it required significant bravery from the striker if anything was to come of the chance. Tell a striker he’s billie big bollox that week and he probably doesn’t fancy getting himself knocked out or about too much in the L1 shop window. But no great blame to Adams for that.

I think we’ve variety enough in midfield to keep us up, little more. Two tricksters knocking it up and back off a front man wouldn’t seem to work so well with Fred Lad though, he hasn’t the deftness of touch yet for that I suspect.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Since I Was 33":37amiwef said:
Justin":37amiwef said:
Argy1e":37amiwef said:
HC Green":37amiwef said:
oldage":37amiwef said:
Surprisingly ,I also agree with BG. Wish DA would stop making excuses for the teams inadequacies. He signed these players and the buck stops with him.

I can’t remember Adams ever using excuses, he always gives reasons normally quite detailed and specific as he did yesterday.
Yesterday he focused a lot on a penalty not being given. He was blaming the referee and looking for an excuse.

He was right about the penalty though wasn’t he?
It should have been given. Is he not allowed to mention it when it’s a pivotal moment of the game?
He also said we gave the ball away for the first 2 goals.
Again, not an excuse. I imagine he’d have been furious about how softly we gave them possession both times.
Thing is that although some of criticisms of DA and the team's peformance have some vailidity there are a lot of posters on here that have just simply got it in for him. Even if we went on a superb run from now the next time we lost a couple of games the knives would be out for him (suspect the knives would be continually sharpened all through the run so they can be used straight away when needed)
Fair shout, I’m one of them I suppose. To me Adams continually hangs himself, with his tactics, comments, all it needs is poor form for for his detractors to voice there opinion. Adams is a divisive character. There’s a reason for that!

May 8, 2011
Mork":33tdki51 said:
Since I Was 33":33tdki51 said:
Justin":33tdki51 said:
Argy1e":33tdki51 said:
HC Green":33tdki51 said:
oldage":33tdki51 said:
Surprisingly ,I also agree with BG. Wish DA would stop making excuses for the teams inadequacies. He signed these players and the buck stops with him.

I can’t remember Adams ever using excuses, he always gives reasons normally quite detailed and specific as he did yesterday.
Yesterday he focused a lot on a penalty not being given. He was blaming the referee and looking for an excuse.

He was right about the penalty though wasn’t he?
It should have been given. Is he not allowed to mention it when it’s a pivotal moment of the game?
He also said we gave the ball away for the first 2 goals.
Again, not an excuse. I imagine he’d have been furious about how softly we gave them possession both times.
Thing is that although some of criticisms of DA and the team's peformance have some vailidity there are a lot of posters on here that have just simply got it in for him. Even if we went on a superb run from now the next time we lost a couple of games the knives would be out for him (suspect the knives would be continually sharpened all through the run so they can be used straight away when needed)
Fair shout, I’m one of them I suppose. To me Adams continually hangs himself, with his tactics, comments, all it needs is poor form for for his detractors to voice there opinion. Adams is a divisive character. There’s a reason for that!

And the reason is?