Adams in demand? | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Adams in demand?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Quintrell_Green":1ks6fbcj said:
MarkMatthews":1ks6fbcj said:
HC Green":1ks6fbcj said:
MarkMatthews":1ks6fbcj said:
HC Green":1ks6fbcj said:
Green_Flash":1ks6fbcj said:
"I think you will find that Adams was alluding to the fact that many of the keyboard warriors fans on social media including Pasoti obviously don’t want him as manager of PAFC.

Four months ago there were calls for him to be sacked because he was out of his depth, tactically inept, lost the dressing room etc. Now after a few wins the same fans are saying he will be poached, off to somewhere better."

If that is the case he needs to grow up - he is a football manager - it is a well paid but precarious job which demands results. The first 2 months of the season were terrible in every way, we were rooted to the bottom and getting thrashed most weeks, Adams did look out of his depth and he was getting the tactics wrong. relegation back to League 2 would have set the club back years. He would have faced calls to be sacked on that basis from any club in the country. He turned it around, he changed his tactics, it is paying dividends. Now people are scared of losing him (although I don't think so - for reasons stated at the top of the thread). It is all natural and understandable.

There was one group of supporters who never doubted Adams and that was the Board.

Or they couldn’t afford it. If that was the case they are hardly likely to go telling all and sundry, that’s the case and they don’t actually have faith in him.

Mark, yes they would and they did, because all and sundry were asking them and sometimes telling them to sack Adams, the reply was always the same.

But that’s the point isn’t it. If (and I appreciate it’s speculating) but if they couldn’t afford to sack him, then they would publicly back him regardless of whether they wished they could sack him.

Just exactly is the point of raking over cool coals at this moment. DA has pulled us through a sticky patch with returning injured players and some shrewd loan inward transfers It is QED in my book. As for DA being poached away, well, I consider, he has not yet got the right level of entries in his record book to be a hot attraction for a managerless Championship Club. There is no panic situation. Let's look forward to the remaining games for the rest of the season

I hope that you are right but....

The commentator on the ifollow extended highlights referred to Derek Adams as "one of the hottest managerial prospects in the lower tiers of English football".

This is why I have already suggested that the Board should be looking to further extend his contract.

Apr 15, 2008
London
I'm sure Derek will want to see this season through... if we continue this form into March/April then a play-off place is a pretty good bet, then let's worry what comes next.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Remember Sturrock mk1 if DA is ambitious and a decent offer comes in from a club in the championship or higher I would think he would be off.

Oct 18, 2011
dunlop":n04x7r1v said:
Remember Sturrock mk1 if DA is ambitious and a decent offer comes in from a club in the championship or higher I would think he would be off.

And remember how well that worked out for Sturrock? He was out of a job within a few months. DA may be a bit more cautious of whatever offers might come his way

Jan 16, 2005
Who would want to have a manager who wasn't ambitious. Clubs can't stand in the way of career progression for players or managers. If they leave because they are successful then the club just needs to find someone else to build on their success.

May 8, 2011
Captains Log":2af74t49 said:
Who would want to have a manager who wasn't ambitious. Clubs can't stand in the way of career progression for players or managers. If they leave because they are successful then the club just needs to find someone else to build on their success.

If you mean by ambitious, managing a ‘bigger’ club then I don’t think Adams is ambitious, he just wants to be successful and he can be that at any Club, even Plymouth Argyle or little old Ross County!

Oct 31, 2015
Lost in Chelt":nzpew8sc said:
dunlop":nzpew8sc said:

And remember how well that worked out for Sturrock? He was out of a job within a few months. DA may be a bit more cautious of whatever offers might come his way

It worked out very well for mr Sturrock. He was paid off on a million pound contract

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I wouldn't have a huge problem in speculating that Derek Adams could be a good Premier League manager, perhaps even better than that...

Easy to laugh at that, but the idea that Yannick Bolasie could transfer for £25m, or that Ashley Barnes would be a first choice Premier League forward, would be more unbelievable at the time.

Football is a funny game, it's certainly not a stretch to see him attain a similar sort of status to Eddie Howe in the next few years (hopefully with Argyle, but maybe elsewhere), and from that point anything can happen. There are very few managers in the game who 1) haven't failed anywhere, and 2) have shown the constant progress that DA has.

He'd do a better job with West Brom than Alan Pardew has, put it that way.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Just seen a stat that no team has won more league games than us since Adams took over in 2015.

That's quite some achievement.

Oct 24, 2013
Watched the Norwich vs Ipswich game on Sunday and there is a lot of speculation as to the future of Mick McCarthy given that his contract is up at the end of the season. Given their financial limitations, DA would be an ideal replacement.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
League wins across the 92 league clubs since the start of 15/16 season (when DA took over):

1st with 65 wins: Man City, Plymouth Argyle
2nd with 63 wins: Sheffield United
3rd with 61 wins: Portsmouth

Crazy stat.

Nov 18, 2011
Lost in Chelt":2fwmqchn said:
dunlop":2fwmqchn said:

Adams would be mad to turn down the chance of proving himself in the Premier League and I think fans would understand that in the same way they understood Luggy leaving.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
MarkMatthews":31qtmp7k said:
Quizmike":31qtmp7k said:
MarkMatthews":31qtmp7k said:
HC Green":31qtmp7k said:
Green_Flash":31qtmp7k said:
"I think you will find that Adams was alluding to the fact that many of the keyboard warriors fans on social media including Pasoti obviously don’t want him as manager of PAFC.

Four months ago there were calls for him to be sacked because he was out of his depth, tactically inept, lost the dressing room etc. Now after a few wins the same fans are saying he will be poached, off to somewhere better."

If that is the case he needs to grow up - he is a football manager - it is a well paid but precarious job which demands results. The first 2 months of the season were terrible in every way, we were rooted to the bottom and getting thrashed most weeks, Adams did look out of his depth and he was getting the tactics wrong. relegation back to League 2 would have set the club back years. He would have faced calls to be sacked on that basis from any club in the country. He turned it around, he changed his tactics, it is paying dividends. Now people are scared of losing him (although I don't think so - for reasons stated at the top of the thread). It is all natural and understandable.

There was one group of supporters who never doubted Adams and that was the Board.

Or they couldn’t afford it. If that was the case they are hardly likely to go telling all and sundry, that’s the case and they don’t actually have faith in him.

Mark are you seriously now trying to tell us that the board don't have faith in Adams?

No, but I wouldn’t be surprised if privately, they regretted giving such a long contract at our lowest point in November. I bet it would have been discussed, whether they could afford and whether or not to sack him.

I’d be surprised if it seriously got discussed. You don’t give a bloke a new four year deal, see him easily meet his main objective in the first season of that contract and then think about sacking him after the first genuinely bad spell he’s had in his near three seasons with us.

The faith that gave him that contract in the first place wouldn’t have disappeared in two months, in fact it was still backing him right up to the end of the poor run when we signed Toums. Later that week we drew with 1st place Shrewsbury and the tide started to turn.

May 16, 2016
Cobi Budge":1sb4ity7 said:
League wins across the 92 league clubs since the start of 15/16 season (when DA took over):

Crazy stat.

Certainly is a crazy stat. Especially as we're apparently under performing budget wise and getting ripped off by all and sundry ;)

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":3eipyjs4 said:

Crazy stat.

Very impressive stat Cobi , however ,just checked Portsmouth and Wigans records under Paul Cook , which show that he has been in charge of 68 wins in the same period of time .