Who Would You Have To Replace Derek Adams? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who Would You Have To Replace Derek Adams?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I can remember extraordinary vitriol being aimed at Paul Sturrock in the Championship relegation season, before Mariner took over. It's funny how people forget.

'If' Derek Adams leaves us this season, I'd bet my house on him being touted in 5-10 years when another Argyle managerial vacancy comes up.

'He got us out of League 2 and was let down by the budget and indiscipline in League 1, let's give him another chance'

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Biggs":2avv4q8n said:
I can remember extraordinary vitriol being aimed at Paul Sturrock in the Championship relegation season, before Mariner took over. It's funny how people forget.

'If' Derek Adams leaves us this season, I'd bet my house on him being touted in 5-10 years when another Argyle managerial vacancy comes up.

'He got us out of League 2 and was let down by the budget and indiscipline in League 1, let's give him another chance'

Probably, but starting from scratch he did ok. Dealing with carnage in full flow is the problem now.

I don't think Adams is a bad manager in general, he is just a bad manager for the current situation and he might learn from the nativity in recruitment that spawned this carnage in his next job.

Please dear board can he be in the next job soon for me to see.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":37l8r3ul said:
The more I think about it, the more I think Gareth Ainsworth would be a good fit for the job.

I can see why he'd be unpopular. Nonetheless, we don't need pretty right now. We need to get whatever points we can, however we can and there's no doubt that his teams are hard to beat. What's more, for years now Argyle have been naive when it comes to gamesmanship. No one in this league is going to do us any favours, so if we need to toughen up and smarten up to stay in this league, then so be it. Wycombe are Trust run, so I imagine he hasn't had a great deal to spend either and to date he has a win record of 40%.

With all that being said, I don't imagine the fans would take to him greatly, we'd have to put together a compensation package and admittedly his CV isn't as impressive as Adams'.

I have to say promotion or not Adams has been one of the most boring tacticians I could care to watch. Two years we spent chasing promotion under him and in that time I can only recall a handful of dominant and entertaining performances to watch. Don't get me wrong I took great pleasure in grinding out results if nothing else because it wound up opposition fans, players and managers so much, we became a club resented for making a success of defensive yet hard to watch football.

I think that's part of the reason why it's hard to defend Adams right now; if you're playing well and creating good chances or nice bits of play but just not getting the results there is an element of forgiveness. However when you're watching your team sat back encouraging opponents to keep attacking you in the hope of snatching a lucky or brilliant goal on the break, unless you get that goal and the result that comes with it, it's a hard hard watch.

It would therefore be so Argyle to replace a horrible to watch results man with possibly an even more cynical results driven tactician. Ainsworth does a cracking job of competing with so little, as long as we're not the ones playing against him I have a great deal of respect for his ability to grind out results. Would I be happy with watching it every week though? I'm not so sure, I suppose it comes down to how desperate our situation gets this season, the longer we sit at the bottom the more we need results from the next man. If he did keep us up playing that way I would worry for the longer term though, it hardly inspires fans to want to watch us play.

Sep 27, 2017
GreenJake":3cn3r7hx said:
Just throwing some names out there:
Chris Powell
Steve Clarke
Martin Allen
Nigel Adkins
Brian McDermott

Chris Powell is a good shout, not sure whether he would come to us or wait for something higher though.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Nigel Adkins all day long for me - knows this division well and achieved a lot with Scunthorpe. We could do a lot, LOT worse than give him the job.

Mar 5, 2012
Abbotts Ann Green":1x0amnzw said:
My vote goes to Ron Manager, certainly the equal of anyone else suggested here.

Jumpers for goalposts - that should even things up!

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
considering how poor our results have been, the manager would normally be gone but a part of says give Adams and his coaching team another 3 league games.
I am surprised at the opinion of some posters towards Wotton, yes maybe not the best man manager yet, but has fight and passion in abundance. He is not ready to succeed Adams at the moment, he is one of our own and one day I want to see him as our manager.
If we replace Adams we need a solid league one manager who has kept teams in this division, Nigel Adkins is a great shout (how long had been away from management?)

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
BHS":btrc3f88 said:
considering how poor our results have been, the manager would normally be gone but a part of me says give Adams and his coaching team another 3 league games.
I am surprised at the opinion of some posters towards Wotton, yes maybe not the best man manager yet, but has fight and passion in abundance. He is not ready to succeed Adams at the moment, he is one of our own and one day I want to see him as our manager.
If we replace Adams we need a solid league one manager who has kept teams in this division, Nigel Adkins is a great shout (how long had been away from management?)

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Who Would You Have To Replace Derek Adams?

I'd give Tooma ..... Toumani Diggeri.... Tom Daggeroo .. TooMany Dogger ... ....... ...... ... ... .. I'd give DAVE a chance!! :scarf:

Oct 31, 2015
PilgrimZ1R":3eopl8sg said:
This won't be popular but I have spoken with him and he was so complimentary about Argyle and the fans he had nothing but respect spent about an hour with him,

He has played at a high level,

Knows how to win, ugly I mean very ugly,

He is connected ,

And would get us out of this situation,

GARETH AINSWORTH for me all the way.

This for me. This man can win ugly and does have a soft spot for the greens. After todays signing I dont think Adams will be going anywhere mind

Apr 29, 2016
Ollieargyle9":1wgd22z1 said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":1wgd22z1 said:
The more I think about it, the more I think Gareth Ainsworth would be a good fit for the job.

I can see why he'd be unpopular. Nonetheless, we don't need pretty right now. We need to get whatever points we can, however we can and there's no doubt that his teams are hard to beat. What's more, for years now Argyle have been naive when it comes to gamesmanship. No one in this league is going to do us any favours, so if we need to toughen up and smarten up to stay in this league, then so be it. Wycombe are Trust run, so I imagine he hasn't had a great deal to spend either and to date he has a win record of 40%.

With all that being said, I don't imagine the fans would take to him greatly, we'd have to put together a compensation package and admittedly his CV isn't as impressive as Adams'.

I have to say promotion or not Adams has been one of the most boring tacticians I could care to watch. Two years we spent chasing promotion under him and in that time I can only recall a handful of dominant and entertaining performances to watch. Don't get me wrong I took great pleasure in grinding out results if nothing else because it wound up opposition fans, players and managers so much, we became a club resented for making a success of defensive yet hard to watch football.

I think that's part of the reason why it's hard to defend Adams right now; if you're playing well and creating good chances or nice bits of play but just not getting the results there is an element of forgiveness. However when you're watching your team sat back encouraging opponents to keep attacking you in the hope of snatching a lucky or brilliant goal on the break, unless you get that goal and the result that comes with it, it's a hard hard watch.

It would therefore be so Argyle to replace a horrible to watch results man with possibly an even more cynical results driven tactician. Ainsworth does a cracking job of competing with so little, as long as we're not the ones playing against him I have a great deal of respect for his ability to grind out results. Would I be happy with watching it every week though? I'm not so sure, I suppose it comes down to how desperate our situation gets this season, the longer we sit at the bottom the more we need results from the next man. If he did keep us up playing that way I would worry for the longer term though, it hardly inspires fans to want to watch us play.

Can’t disagree with that, we ought to have the total football Pulis back!