Retained list (Confirmed) | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list (Confirmed)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
davegreenarmy":1v7z8i8s said:
Adams obviously knows best, but another vote here from an untrained couch-manager for Threkeld being 100% better as RB over Miller (who I personally feel is a liability). I'd genuinely be interested to know the rationale from Adams for his selection.

You make it sound like we've released Threlkeld and kept Miller instead.

I fully expect Oscar to be the first choice RB next season.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
By the amount of games that Miller played last season, he triggered the extension clause, regardless to whether DA wanted to keep him on or not.

I can only assume that he will be back up to either Threlkeld or a new right back coming in.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Mildly disappointed about Rooney, it never felt like he got much a crack of the whip but I suppose you have to trust Adams and his judgement. Hopefully he'll get picked up at a decent level and go on to have a decent career.

Surprised Spencer is off - perhaps he rejected our offer. Decent player, but certainly one we can improve on in League 1.

Looks like we're going to be in for a particularly busy summer transfers-wise - it's going to be interesting to see the level and calibre of player Adams pitches at.

Jun 2, 2016
Emu":3g17y1ut said:
By the amount of games that Miller played last season, he triggered the extension clause, regardless to whether DA wanted to keep him on or not.

I can only assume that he will be back up to either Threlkeld or a new right back coming in.

That's the flip side of contract trigger. Having played half a season, DA probably didn't fancy Miller for a second season and hoped to keep him below the automatic number of games that would trigger a renewal of his contract. Injuries to other defenders meant that couldn't happen. So Miller got his 2nd year and good luck to him. The up side is that highly rated players like Bradley and Threlkeld would probably have been looking for a higher wage offer on the transfer market this Summer... And may get an offer from another club.. But we will be asking for a high fee if so.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Andy Holland":3154qkfw said:
Looks like we're going to be in for a particularly busy summer transfers-wise - it's going to be interesting to see the level and calibre of player Adams pitches at.

I'd be looking at the SPL club's retained lists with great interest.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
With regards to Miller, it appears most posters feel he has activated the contract clause, I don't, as I don't think DA would allow a scenario like that to happen, I believe we will only have players here that DA wants , so for me the club have activated a clause in his contract because DA wants him here .

Mar 29, 2017
DartingtonPilgrim":1t57m7x3 said:
With regards to Miller, it appears most posters feel he has activated the contract clause, I don't, as I don't think DA would allow a scenario like that to happen, I believe we will only have players here that DA wants , so for me the club have activated a clause in his contract because DA wants him here .

Pretty much thats how I read it, its a clause for the club to activate if they want to, nothing to do with the player.

Jun 2, 2016
PAFCMatt84":3a7vi91f said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3a7vi91f said:

Pretty much thats how I read it, its a clause for the club to activate if they want to, nothing to do with the player.

In that case why do we hear reports like 'Jake Jervis has triggered an extension to his contract' or reports that player X has played enough games to trigger a contract extension. All suggests that players can trigger an extra year, especially when they reach a minimum number of appearances.

Dec 2, 2005
London
PAFCMatt84":2365hwni said:
DartingtonPilgrim":2365hwni said:

I'm sure it's been said it works both ways. Can't remember if that was from a Herald article early in Adams' reign or a meet the manager.

Logically it makes sense as a fair contract for either party to be able to trigger the clause. Also, the Chadwick situation a few seasons ago shows we have given players that option.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
the_corkscrew":1gozuiys said:
PAFCMatt84":1gozuiys said:
DartingtonPilgrim":1gozuiys said:

In that case why do we hear reports like 'Jake Jervis has triggered an extension to his contract' or reports that player X has played enough games to trigger a contract extension. All suggests that players can trigger an extra year, especially when they reach a minimum number of appearances.

Not sure about reports like 'JJ' triggering a contract extension clause ,but where it reports a player has played enough games to trigger a contract extension , i would guess that the club can decide not to offer a contract at the terms agreed previously as it is an optional contract extension by the club . I believe this may have happened with Gregg Wylde , i seem to remember he was offered a new contract but turned it down even though he almost certainly played enough games that season . I think that if the club have an optional contract extension clause with a player and they exercise that , then they would be due a fee for said player who would naturally still be under contract . So to my mind , if DA didn't want to keep Gary Miller , Gary would have been released .

Feb 28, 2016
I'm not so sure that the trigger clause is massively stacked in the clubs favour as some like to suggest. Even if Derek Adams is against it. What you need to remember is the PFA enjoys (rightly or wrongly depending on your POV,) what is effectively one of the last "closed shops" in the country. Even one of the biggest Union hating bosses in the land, [Mike Ashley] has to recognise it!) I imagine from what I've read from these contracts, they allow both sides the option equally.

Jul 12, 2016
Surely if has to be mutually agreed.Pointless trying to keep a player who wants to leave and DA may not think that, regardless of the number of games played, a player is worth retaining.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
oldage":3tunu5n5 said:
Surely if has to be mutually agreed.Pointless trying to keep a player who wants to leave and DA may not think that, regardless of the number of games played, a player is worth retaining.
Not always. When Nile Ranger was at Blackpool and wanted to leave, Blackpool triggered his clause meaning he had to stay. It's probably different on a case by case basis, but normally from what I've seen the decision is completely with the club.

Apr 22, 2013
Most (not all) contracts with an extension clause have an automatic trigger. i.e if a player makes a predetermined number of starts, then the extension will be triggered for a predetermined period of time and for a predetermined salary. This is regardless of the wishes of the player or the club. Once triggered, the player is contracted to the club and normal transfer rules apply.