Retained list (Confirmed) | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list (Confirmed)

jerryatricjanner

🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I don't think the board will be too bothered about challenging for promotion and will be happy with a mid to top 8 finish while the stand is being worked on and capacity reduced. Probably the wisest approach.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I wonder if we'll sign a goalkeeper to be second choice or whether McCallum will now take up that role.

Mar 8, 2016
Cobi Budge":209rtb9d said:
I wonder if we'll sign a goalkeeper to be second choice or whether McCallum will now take up that role.

I think McCallum will take up the role of 2nd choice. Having 3 goal keepers at this level is surely a bit of a luxury? If one gets injured then give the youth keeper a bit of experience, if both get injured then get a emergency loan in.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":173o5uc2 said:
I reckon McCallum will become the No.2 but I'm sure Adams will bring in another as under the loan system you can only bring in a loan keeper for just 7 days. That rule came in last season hence Adams having 3 keepers.

Feb 28, 2016
Lobster":1nznnrtq said:
Again, some of the "released" players may have rejected offers. Maybe Dorel was offered a deal but wanted to play so decided to move on. Applies to many on the list. We just don't know.

A lot assumptions being made on this thread.

Doubt it, they are usually very honest if that was the case he would be under "Offered New contract with (declined) next to his name like we knew last season how Reid and Harvey had turned down theirs.

They just aren't good enough standard and unless any of them aren't in L1 next season then these will be the right decisions and it is very rare management get these things wrong.

Aug 5, 2016
HarlHM":1cyaev2e said:
Threlkeld will be our starting RB - I have no doubt about that.

The only decision on this retained list that I'm not particularly keen on is the extension of Gary Miller's contract, but providing Threlkeld stays fit we've got an OK back-up in Gary.

Threlkeld didn't start the season there, he didn't even start the last match over Miller - both times Threlkeld was on the bench. So what can you confidently base that on?

Oscar only really got a run there when Miller was injured.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
MarkMatthews":2foghgqy said:
Lobster":2foghgqy said:
Again, some of the "released" players may have rejected offers. Maybe Dorel was offered a deal but wanted to play so decided to move on. Applies to many on the list. We just don't know.

Doubt it, they are usually very honest if that was the case he would be under "Offered New contract with (declined) next to his name like we knew last season how Reid and Harvey had turned down theirs.

They just aren't good enough standard and unless any of them aren't in L1 next season then these will be the right decisions and it is very rare management get these things wrong.

Good point, although doesn't necessarily prove anything. Either way, if they've been let go, or if they have rejected what DA thought was good value, then goodbye and good luck.

Feb 28, 2016
Lobster":x9tlfo7o said:
MarkMatthews":x9tlfo7o said:
Lobster":x9tlfo7o said:

Good point, although doesn't necessarily prove anything. Either way, if they've been let go, or if they have rejected what DA thought was good value, then goodbye and good luck.

I don't know if you follow, or are aware of my posting history. But that was said somewhat tongue in cheek. I would agree it doesn't necessarily prove a point, however the context of this point should now be added to a wider debate.

Jun 11, 2012
Knibbsworth":2hrf8ejf said:
HarlHM":2hrf8ejf said:

The only decision on this retained list that I'm not particularly keen on is the extension of Gary Miller's contract, but providing Threlkeld stays fit we've got an OK back-up in Gary.

Threlkeld didn't start the season there, he didn't even start the last match over Miller - both times Threlkeld was on the bench. So what can you confidently base that on?

At the start of the season it was clear that Derek saw Threlkeld as a utility player. I think I recall that at the start of the season, whenever he played, it was as a midfielder. He's also had to cover at left back for Sawyer a lot.

Didn't he get a knock towards the end of the season too? He wasn't in the squad at all against Crewe and probably wasn't ready to start at Grimsby either. That would explain Miller starting.

Threlkeld definitely edged ahead of Miller in Adams' thinking ever since he replaced him in the Liverpool game at Anfield. He needs to hold down that position now for his own development IMO.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
HarlHM":21783y7o said:
Knibbsworth":21783y7o said:
HarlHM":21783y7o said:

At the start of the season it was clear that Derek saw Threlkeld as a utility player. I think I recall that at the start of the season, whenever he played, it was as a midfielder. He's also had to cover at left back for Sawyer a lot.

Didn't he get a knock towards the end of the season too? He wasn't in the squad at all against Crewe and probably wasn't ready to start at Grimsby either. That would explain Miller starting.

Threlkeld definitely edged ahead of Miller in Adams' thinking ever since he replaced him in the Liverpool game at Anfield. He needs to hold down that position now for his own development IMO.

Him and Tanner gave each other food poisoning pre-Crewe apparently. Not sure what the reason was for final day.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
HarlHM":stnetn2n said:
Knibbsworth":stnetn2n said:
HarlHM":stnetn2n said:

The Miller/Threlkeld debate is very interesting. I think that Threlkeld is far more effective than Miller in the wing back role and that he is more influential there than in a midfield role. For me, Threlkeld has all the qualities needed for a 'must win' game like the Grimsby one and yet Miller was selected.

It would appear that DA prefers Miller as a right back and that, more often than not, he will select him ahead of Threlkeld if both are available.

I do find this rather baffling and would like to understand DA's thinking on this conundrum because, results suggest that he does not often get his selections wrong, otherwise we would not have a 54% win and only 26% loss rate (61% of points available) in League 2 since he became our manager.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Nobby":3jolc300 said:
HarlHM":3jolc300 said:
Knibbsworth":3jolc300 said:
HarlHM":3jolc300 said:

Him and Tanner gave each other food poisoning pre-Crewe apparently. Not sure what the reason was for final day.

I can confidently say that Threlkeld is better than Miller at RB based on what I have seen!

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Does that mean Connor Smith has been promoted and released two seasons in a row...threes the charm...someone in L2 should sign him!

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
Adams obviously knows best, but another vote here from an untrained couch-manager for Threkeld being 100% better as RB over Miller (who I personally feel is a liability). I'd genuinely be interested to know the rationale from Adams for his selection.