Retained list (Confirmed) | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list (Confirmed)

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Again, some of the "released" players may have rejected offers. Maybe Dorel was offered a deal but wanted to play so decided to move on. Applies to many on the list. We just don't know.

A lot assumptions being made on this thread.

Nov 18, 2011
AlanMS":2qf71gsz said:
I really do feel for Ryan Brunt. Think that they should have given him a short term contract to prove himself. Also sorry for Spenser as I thought he got injured just as he was coming good. I do hope we can get a proven goal scorer to play off our front man whoever he may be.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Brunt still take part in pre season, if only to build his fitness back up before moving somewhere else.

Feb 28, 2016
cheshiregreen":2zqivaca said:
Just catching up with this. To be fair, the manager has probably shown his hand regarding most of the released players in January.

Donaldson and Smith didn't feature much after Christmas. The signing of Taylor was a bonus but reduced Spencer's shelf life. Slew after a good run in the side was displaced by Kennedy's arrival.

Intrigued by the Dorel v McCallum decision. Dorel always preferred to sit on the bench but McCallum stays. Just wondering whether the 3rd keeper spot will be given to a youngster as a cheaper option or we just gamble on the two. Other clubs were allowed to make "emergency" signings of keepers so perhaps we may go down that route.

Expecting 5 or 6 arrivals. Personally I prefer Threlkeld as a FB. So we need some competition for Sawyer, further wide player options and a "Goodwillie" (build and link play) fox in the box type of striker. Midfield choices will depend on the Carey decision but at least one there.

Its does seem a bit odd as Dorel was favoured over McCallum but after watching both in the reserves this season, I was always intrigued as to why Dorel was favoured over Marc. I thought he always looked much more assured, was a calming influence on the defence (which considering he would usually be playing with 2-4 apprentices in front of him was a pretty important skill.) I appreciate English is not Vincent's first language but McCallum was a much better communicator. I think his distribution is even better than McCormick's. I'm lead to believe, he has a good relationship with Mike Cooper and looks to help him out whenever he can. I think we have a really promising keeper on our hands.

Dorel on the other hand, in my opinion put the defence on edge a lot, flapped about a lot and just screamed a load of mumbo jumbo. That said seemed a nice bloke of the pitch.

I don't think we really need 3 keepers at the moment and I think Marc can push Luke and would more than hold his own in League One so I would be pretty happy if we didn't sign another keeper, Even if it came down to one being out injured or suspended for any length from what I've seen I would be happy with Mike Cooper being cover to the cover instead of going down the emergency keeper loan. That said the fact Adams took McCallum to every away game just in case Vincent was injured in the warm up, would suggest he will sign another one.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Watching the warm ups I see that McCallum takes a great corner and strikes the ball really well. Looks good but haven't seen him in the game scenario. But does look uber confident :thumbs:

Mar 23, 2008
Wish all the released players well and thank you for your contributions. Like many feel for Brunt and hope he can rebuild his career elsewhere, I guess the thinking with the likes of Slew and Smith is that they have done ok but we should hopefully do a bit better. With that in mind am amazed Miller is being retained, solid enough defender but not up to league 2 standard on the ball, let alone league 1.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Evening all. Been a while since i've posted.

I am VERY happy Fox has signed. For me player of the season with his calm, economic approach in midfield. Will need a ball winner next to him in L1 with S'ongo as an able back up giving everything for the cause. Threlkeld for that role? If so then we will need a more mobile right back and left back. Both Miller and Sawyer are great when the midfielders are covering. Sawyer has better football nous but both are most definitely capable in a L1 squad.
Rooney needs to find a club which has a traditional 4-4-2 set up with wingers and a big lump of a CF. In that environment he will flourish IMO. I wish him all the best along with all the other players released.
Jervis seems a player who blows hot and cold and in a squad of players is more than useful for our first season in L1. Carey obviously would be great to stay but if not then thanks for the memories. I have a sneaky feeling he might stay as all his best days as a player have come under DA and that goes a long way.
I'm quite excited at the prospect of new players coming in and I fully expect the DA has got quite a list of prospective candidates for interview. I wonder what gems he will unearth this close season.
COYG

Aug 15, 2015
Shame about Rooney who I'm sure will do an Isaac Vassell. Also so about Brunt and slightly surprised about Spencer - with the right support and connectivity around him he is a decent footballer (as shown by the quality of his finishing if you look at his few goals for us). Clearly we are going to bring some strikers in, perhaps in the fast and nippy mould to complement what we have.

No real surprised or disappointments about the rest. The likes of Donaldson, Smith and Slew are all standard basement League 2 footballers. Ordinary is very much the word I'd use to describe then.

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
Metal_Green_Mickey":1azoyno4 said:
The most crucial area to sort out l felt was the defensive wide areas because of our lack of pace.

Now maybe Miller and Sawyer are staying because they played in a promotion defensive unit for the large part of the season but l'm concerned they will get roasted in league 1.

However, having seen the retained list it's quite brutal so if you got rid of those two as well then, with Carey possibly to go, there really wouldn't be much of a nucleus of the squad left. Factor in as well they might not take up significant wages then maybe you see why they were re-signed.

We know Threkeld can play on the right but is he ear-marked for a midfield berth? Let's hope we just get some quicker alternatives in for competition.

Surprised to see Smith go. Just as he had his best game against Stevenage he got injured. I thought Spencer was a player the manger liked but obviously DA feels he can get better.

Very much another exciting summer ahead....

Sawyer is vice captain has a lot of League One and above experience a senior member of the team, IMHO he is league one standard, did you see his cross for JJ's goal against Pompey?
Little concerned about Miller, he is also a strong character but does not look right in RB position he is built more as a CB, is there a different position which he can play in? (tin hat on)

Dec 2, 2005
London
HarlHM":2ufr608n said:
Threlkeld will be our starting RB - I have no doubt about that.

The only decision on this retained list that I'm not particularly keen on is the extension of Gary Miller's contract, but providing Threlkeld stays fit we've got an OK back-up in Gary.

Deacster":2ufr608n said:
With that in mind am amazed Miller is being retained, solid enough defender but not up to league 2 standard on the ball, let alone league 1.

I don't think there is too much of a decision in the Miller retention given we seem to have appearance related clauses in our contracts. He started 27 League Games (34 in all comps) so I imagine if he wanted to stay he'd be here next year.

The flip side of these deals is no fuss keeping players like Bradley or Fox (or Carey last year).

I personally like how the club is using these clauses; they give security to both the club and regular starters, while giving the manager flexibility on fringe players.

Tynan One Nil

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Good luck to all of them, all made a contribution to the Argyle.
But at same time, really pleased that there will now be budget available for new first team players. Spot on.

Mar 14, 2009
BHS":26lcabyn said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":26lcabyn said:
The most crucial area to sort out l felt was the defensive wide areas because of our lack of pace.

Now maybe Miller and Sawyer are staying because they played in a promotion defensive unit for the large part of the season but l'm concerned they will get roasted in league 1.

However, having seen the retained list it's quite brutal so if you got rid of those two as well then, with Carey possibly to go, there really wouldn't be much of a nucleus of the squad left. Factor in as well they might not take up significant wages then maybe you see why they were re-signed.

We know Threkeld can play on the right but is he ear-marked for a midfield berth? Let's hope we just get some quicker alternatives in for competition.

Surprised to see Smith go. Just as he had his best game against Stevenage he got injured. I thought Spencer was a player the manger liked but obviously DA feels he can get better.

Sawyer is vice captain has a lot of League One and above experience a senior member of the team, IMHO he is league one standard, did you see his cross for JJ's goal against Pompey?
Little concerned about Miller, he is also a strong character but does not look right in RB position he is built more as a CB, is there a different position which he can play in? (tin hat on)

I did, and it was a quality cross, but have many times did we see him raid down the left side like Purrington did. Purrington got skinned too but he was more mobile and gave Argyle better width as a result . The issue is his pace. He will get roasted in league 1. Yet l would be tempted to try him in the CDM role because he reads the game well. That's why he has done well at CB when lve seen him play there.

Bhasera was a quality left back. Someone of that standard would be terrific.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Sawyer ventured forward much more when Argyle were in The Championship and I felt he delivered a good cross from that wing position. Now that years have crept up on him I feel he is less mobile going forward as he does not have the confidence of speed in his legs to get back in defence, when a forward sortie breaks down.

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
Metal_Green_Mickey":2ko7x126 said:
BHS":2ko7x126 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2ko7x126 said:

I did, and it was a quality cross, but have many times did we see him raid down the left side like Purrington did. Purrington got skinned too but he was more mobile and gave Argyle better width as a result . The issue is his pace. He will get roasted in league 1. Yet l would be tempted to try him in the CDM role because he reads the game well. That's why he has done well at CB when lve seen him play there.

Bhasera was a quality left back. Someone of that standard would be terrific.

Yes Bhasera was decent played in the championship days (our last season in that league).

Where are the new players going to come from who would thrive in league one, can we realistically get released lower end championship players ( unlikely ), or can we get top 6 SPL players or poach current league one standard players. Personally I think we will challenge for promotion next season and I trust in DA to strengthen the squad

Apr 29, 2016
TinTin":lfmt27qt said:
Thinking out aloud....... could any of our former loan players [Garita, Tanner and Kennedy]...........

either be released now by their parent clubs ?

or be available for loan next season ?

or be available for transfer next season ?

IF so, would we take any of them on whatever basis ?

I think all 3 would be "gettable" but on what basis is the difficult one ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Tanner will be a free agent I reckon but think that if he's been on the edge of Div 2 that there will be better for Div 1. Garita's not good enough at the moment and Kennedy starred brilliantly but tailed off the more he played for us. I'm happy not to see any of them return.