Next season's squad (merged x 9) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next season's squad (merged x 9)

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Somerset_Pilgrim":wq88v7mm said:
Hopefully we can keep a lot of the squad together. Think we have the makings of a decent League One team already. Strong potential starters in McCormick, Threlkeld, Bradley, Jervis, Fox, Sarcevic, Carey, Taylor. Decent squad fillers in Sonogo, Sawyer, Smith, Brunt (if fit).

Agree with the starters, but of the others just sawyer for me.

Add to that the centre back (Sokolic or however) and maybe blisset

Goodbye Miller, Donaldson, bully, ijaha, spencer, slew (however I liked him more than I thought I would)

Dare I say it...maybe a new goalkeeper

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
It will be very interesting to see how DA views his current squad. While we were all disappointed at last season's Wembley defeat, I don't think any of us (well, not me anyway) expected him to dismantle the side in the way he did. We could be surprised.

With us actually promoted, it might give the club the chance to dish out longer contracts to some, rather than the 1-year deals with options that we have currently been offering over recent seasons. The likes of Carey, Threlkeld and Bradley for example, I'd like to see tied down to 2/3 year deals. Of course, much depends on the salaries on offer... many clubs offer much more!

I genuinely believe the current squad would be comfortable in L1, so releasing the players who are not likely to make an impact, and bringing in some better quality could make it an interesting season.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Former Argyle youngster Ryan Leonard , currently at Southend , contract expires at the end of this season although he or Southend may have an option to extend his contract for another year . Has decent League 1 experience , could he be a potential target this summer ?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Paul H":2gdn8b06 said:
Have never quite seen the fuss about Sarcevic. He doesn't really seem to create much and doesn't exactly go into challenges with everything he's got. Let me guess, he's on a 2 year deal.

Sarcevic was absolutely brilliant on Saturday.

Underappreciated player.

Mar 14, 2009
If we are just talking about survival then most of this squad, with a around 3-4 signings should be enough.

However, we are talking about how we get promoted out of this league I think the following is needed.

Sawyer and Miller have to go. The reasons being both are too slow either defending or getting forward.

The system we play has proven how it suits a more mobile full backs. That's why Portsmouth play the 4-2-3-1 system much better than we do (in terms of holding onto the ball and keeping possession) Threkeld has done such a good job, but would be interesting if he could develop in a midfield berth.

We need someone to push Luke at GK. We need a CB as good, if not better than Bradley. I'm unconvinced Sokolik, Bulvitus or Songo are the answer.

We need someone at CDM/CM. Whilst Fox is a loverly passer of the ball, he doesn't quite have the engine to cover over the pitch the way we need him to in that position. Sarvevic I would imagine will play in a more forward position as would Carey. We need wide men who can cross the ball. Number of times we fail to put the ball in the right place. This is in open play and dead ball situations.

Basically more pace and more "engine" type players.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Agree. And i think the SPL will be a fertile recruitment ground for DA for those positions.

Aside from Celtic, Rangers and probably Aberdeen, Argyle are now a more attractive prospect than any of the clubs in there. I'm excited to see who he can attract now if relatively highly thought of players like Carey and Wylde were lured in League Two.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Luke should be our first choice keeper going into next season, he deserves to be he's played a huge part in helping getting us promoted.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I agree that he should be our first choice goalkeeper but I think we should have an outfield player as team captain. If he decides to change, DA will know who to select.

Luke could still be club captain as he was when Curtis Nelson was team captain.

H

Helston_Green

Metal_Green_Mickey":2u5bv7fc said:
If we are just talking about survival then most of this squad, with a around 3-4 signings should be enough.

However, we are talking about how we get promoted out of this league I think the following is needed.

Sawyer and Miller have to go. The reasons being both are too slow either defending or getting forward.

The system we play has proven how it suits a more mobile full backs. That's why Portsmouth play the 4-2-3-1 system much better than we do (in terms of holding onto the ball and keeping possession) Threkeld has done such a good job, but would be interesting if he could develop in a midfield berth.

We need someone to push Luke at GK. We need a CB as good, if not better than Bradley. I'm unconvinced Sokolik, Bulvitus or Songo are the answer.

We need someone at CDM/CM. Whilst Fox is a loverly passer of the ball, he doesn't quite have the engine to cover over the pitch the way we need him to in that position. Sarvevic I would imagine will play in a more forward position as would Carey. We need wide men who can cross the ball. Number of times we fail to put the ball in the right place. This is in open play and dead ball situations.

Basically more pace and more "engine" type players.

Bit harsh on Sawyer, especially after he's weighed in with a couple of assists lately including that lovely cross against Portsmouth.

Also unfair to criticise Fox for not covering more ground, if he bombed forward at every opportunity then we'd have a gaping whole in the centre of the park. His discipline lets the likes of Carey and Sarcevic get forward. For what it's worth I think Fox has a good engine for a 33-year-old.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":3gnjzkxq said:
Paul H":3gnjzkxq said:
Have never quite seen the fuss about Sarcevic. He doesn't really seem to create much and doesn't exactly go into challenges with everything he's got. Let me guess, he's on a 2 year deal.

Sarcevic was absolutely brilliant on Saturday.

Underappreciated player.

They all looked good V Newport.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I'm staggered the Herald has an article out today about which players should be released. With the team about to battle for the title it's poor timing and should have waited a week.

It's up there for crassness with the attack on Kelvin Mellor a few years ago.

May 8, 2011
PL2 3DQ":3al3ck0n said:
I'm staggered the Herald has an article out today about which players should be released. With the team about to battle for the title it's poor timing and should have waited a week.

Certainly is pathetic as they have included the likes of Bentley and Fletcher who were only offered pro contracts last week.

Feb 28, 2016
HC Green":1nvhpppp said:
PL2 3DQ":1nvhpppp said:

Certainly is pathetic as they have included the likes of Bentley and Fletcher who were only offered pro contracts last week.

I filled out that survey just to see if they had included them as I had a sneaky feeling they would. What I did find disappointing was the number of people that had voted to release them. I do wonder just what they were judging them on. Bentley has even been mentioned in this thread. I can only conclude that people didn't release Jordan was still an apprentice and thought two appearances in a dead rubber and a Football League trophy game weren't a great record for a full professional and that he hasn't been serious contention for a first team place yet.

I did post on the heralds facebook post it seemed ridiculous to include them.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Disgusted by the Herald to be honest. Imagine how the players who have been earmarked for "RELEASE" must be feeling about the fans right now. I don't understand who those articles are aimed at, nor who they benefit. I would much rather we didn't even discuss that article as it's just promoting and sending clicks to the moron who wrote it.