Graham Carey signs new contract! | Page 19 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey signs new contract!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You have to be very clever to move to London Merv!

Us born and bred Janners that stay in our locale are often mocked for having a 'village attitude'.

I like to think we are the clever ones! :lol:

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
mervyn":2gl8558a said:
GC's decision and this topic gives me the chance to get something off my chest that's been annoying me for years. When I read some months ago that GC was particularly settled and enjoying the region with his family I felt this might be a clincher. We all too easily forget that outside the day job footballers are like the rest of us and want the best for their families.

As someone who migrated here in the eighties to obtain a better family life-style than that offered by London, I can appreciate this. Which is why I've got increasingly annoyed with argyle managers who have complained about the apparent difficulty in persuading players to move to what they considered a soccer outpost. Ken Brown was the worst for this, moaning every week that he couldn't get the players he wanted, probably mainly Londoners, because of our location.
Yet our three most successful managers, Smith, Sturrock and Adams, all moved here from the greatest distance and had/have no difficulty selling the region to new signings.

If Bournemouth, Hull and Norwich can make the top flight, then one day so can we.

It might be that years ago this was more true than today. In the past, 20 year old footballers might have considered Plymouth to be too far from the bright lights of the capital whereas today players in general take care of themselves better. The only element now of geography is how long it takes for away games compared to others which means more days in hotels etc rather than being at home with the family.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
mervyn":28fg3c7j said:
As someone who migrated here in the eighties to obtain a better family life-style than that offered by London, I can appreciate this. Which is why I've got increasingly annoyed with argyle managers who have complained about the apparent difficulty in persuading players to move to what they considered a soccer outpost. Ken Brown was the worst for this, moaning every week that he couldn't get the players he wanted, probably mainly Londoners, because of our location.
Yet our three most successful managers, Smith, Sturrock and Adams, all moved here from the greatest distance and had/have no difficulty selling the region to new signings.

Added to this very good point, how many Argyle players and managers end up basing themselves in the city/region the rest of their lives?

Rory Fallon, Barry Hayles, Geoff Crudgington, Neil Warnock, Luggy off the top of my head.... there must be countless others. Perhaps Graham and his family will be here 20 years from now as well :thumbs:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Ade the green":3cnf573r said:
mervyn":3cnf573r said:
GC's decision and this topic gives me the chance to get something off my chest that's been annoying me for years. When I read some months ago that GC was particularly settled and enjoying the region with his family I felt this might be a clincher. We all too easily forget that outside the day job footballers are like the rest of us and want the best for their families.

If Bournemouth, Hull and Norwich can make the top flight, then one day so can we.

It might be that years ago this was more true than today. In the past, 20 year old footballers might have considered Plymouth to be too far from the bright lights of the capital whereas today players in general take care of themselves better. The only element now of geography is how long it takes for away games compared to others which means more days in hotels etc rather than being at home with the family.

There are some good points here. I would also throw forward another reason why the antipathy towards continuing a footballing career in Plymouth has eased. With the greater number of quality overseas players in the Premiership and Championship, the lesser homegrown players are recognising they need to be a lot more open to transfer approaches away from the more central urban conurbation teams, otherwise they will find themselves outside the FL and earning even less than Division One and Two wages, or, unemployed out of professional soccer completely..

Jul 24, 2009
Biggs":1i20oz37 said:
mervyn":1i20oz37 said:

Added to this very good point, how many Argyle players and managers end up basing themselves in the city/region the rest of their lives?

Rory Fallon, Barry Hayles, Geoff Crudgington, Neil Warnock, Luggy off the top of my head.... there must be countless others. Perhaps Graham and his family will be here 20 years from now as well :thumbs:
I think there's a lot of truth in that. I think also we do better targeting players from further afield - Scotland, France, Hungary etc if they are prepared to move to another country then we compete very well - why not come to Plymouth the same as everywhere else. If we're competing for players born and raised in London or the North West I can see that it can be tricky up against teams from that area.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Biggs":1ah7fqvf said:
mervyn":1ah7fqvf said:

Just realised I forgot Tommy Tynan :doh:

P

Piran-Pilgrim

I heard from a reliable source close to GC that only one club were in for him, apart from us and the decision wasn't his entirely where he went, heard all the family had taken a shine to this part of Britain and didn't want upheaval also GC never failed medical, you have to have one first, Argyle was always his choice.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Piran-Pilgrim":2empaday said:
I heard from a reliable source close to GC that only one club were in for him, apart from us and the decision wasn't his entirely where he went, heard all the family had taken a shine to this part of Britain and didn't want upheaval also GC never failed medical, you have to have one first, Argyle was always his choice.

I must admit that I was surprised that his wife has chosen to give birth here in Plymouth instead of Scotland or Ireland (I don't know where she is from) where his wife may have a stronger support group of family.

That is of course an assumption on my part because I doubt GC would be here if his wife was due at the other end of the country.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Argylegames":1jl6afd2 said:
Cobi Budge‏ @cobibudge96 Jun 27
More
carey tattoo on my back if he signs, and considering some of the embarrassing cover ups I have I'm not joking #pafc
He's gone missing. :lol: :lol:

Aug 11, 2013
X Isle":19m8u0mt said:
buck197":19m8u0mt said:
Knibbsworth you are spot on, awful post and it won't be his last.
It was going to be Bucky old boy, i'd got it all off my chest... but if you (and your ilk) will insist in towel flicking a right to reply out of me, then you've only got yourselves to blame :wink:

I really think you need to re-calibrate your awful-o-meter.

An "awful" post is one that brands our now returned star player as being (quote) reprehensible (unquote) or (quote) unprofessional (unquote), especially on what turned out to be the eve of his signing. For all we know he could've been making his final decision at that very point in time, the Argyle contract in one hand, a Sheffield United one in the other. Brandishing someone as being reprehensible when he's done nothing more than simply maintaining a dignified silence?

THAT my friend is awful.

Preceding that there were umpty thrumpty posts, over weeks and weeks, that just meekly surrendered to him leaving. No fight, no 'come on GC10, think of what you'd be walking away from', just giving in, a casual 'meh' as if he wasn't worth the effort in trying to save. The green army's love for Graham Carey, in my mind, was set in stone, we wanted him to stay. Instead many seemed to just pathetically acquiesce to what THEY considered 'inevitable'.

THAT my friend is an awful attitude.

So forgive me, in my jubilation at his re-signing I could not let the battles that I and many others had fought against these awful posts and awful pi$$ poor attitudes pass, as if nothing ever happened. Everyone is falling over themselves today to welcome our Carey back, and rightly so. But to just sweep away all the silliness and plain old surrender-monkeying that went before his return? Not I.

I said what needed to be said and was content to let it rest there, folk just needed to take a good hard look at themselves and take their medicine because this sort of situation will inevitably occur again one day and they need to perform better. If that upsets anyone then good, because the folk it upsets are most probably the target audience I was looking to reach, and it shows I hit the target. And remember, just because you don't like hearing something, it doesn't make what is said wrong.

We've got Carey,
Graham Carey,
I just don't think you understand,
You shrugged and waved him off :wave:,
"reprehensible" you scoffed :thumbdown:,
But WE'VE STILL GOT GRAHAM CAREY :scarf:

(drops the mike.....)

Spot on. Bang on. On the money. etc etc (Clap emoticon)

Jan 3, 2013
Biggs":2i2vejrz said:
Biggs":2i2vejrz said:
mervyn":2i2vejrz said:

neil Hague, Neil dougall, Alex govan, ian Stonebridge, Ellis stuttard, Rhys wilmot, ......

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Knarf Reprah":rlvv79mn said:
Biggs":rlvv79mn said:
Biggs":rlvv79mn said:
mervyn":rlvv79mn said:

neil Hague, Neil dougall, Alex govan, ian Stonebridge, Ellis stuttard, Rhys wilmot, ......

John Leiper, Dave Smith

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Biggs":24kw77c6 said:
mervyn":24kw77c6 said:

gordon nisbet