Graham Carey signs new contract! | Page 18 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey signs new contract!

Jun 27, 2017
Good news. Now happier with my annual £20 punt on promotion. Betting on L1 champions though seems a leap of fajth too far

Aug 15, 2008
The thing is we have perennially lost our best players year after year since administration. Even. Before that we lost best players. People are entitled to be thinking "here we go again".
It does show the club has acquired ambition and a can do attitude in retaining our best players.
I thought he would go but always added a caveat.that I hoped he wouldn't. As for the sycophantic ravings on the threadnaught - drop me out

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
davie nine":emppzxnm said:
X isle contributed about 85 of the 1046 posts on the 2 month long thread and was consistent throughout so he was entitled to congratulate himself. Well done!!!

Hang on a minute! I didn't make many posts, but I also said the same as X isle - so where's my well done ha ha :funny: :funny:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Doyley43":2f5nakpy said:
davie nine":2f5nakpy said:
X isle contributed about 85 of the 1046 posts on the 2 month long thread and was consistent throughout so he was entitled to congratulate himself. Well done!!!

Hang on a minute! I didn't make many posts, but I also said the same as X isle - so where's my well done ha ha :funny: :funny:
Only 6 (a comparative novice) but you were optimistic so, well done!!

Apr 30, 2011
Great news, don't know how we have pulled this off. GC10 has shown loyalty, of course but there must be some carrot dangled which justified his loyalty. Guaranteed football obviously was an attraction but I auspect that the length of contract offered was the real pull. I wouldn't be suprised to see a 3 or even 4 year contract having been agreed. From a footballing perspective, I think Carey will still have a lot to offer in to his 30's aa he doesn't rely on pace which is usually the first physical characteristic to decline. His football brain, set peice and trchnical ability should not decline and these are his most significant of his abilities.

Now a pacey 'play on the shoulder' number 9 and an loan centre midfielder and I think the squad is complete.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Maybe "a significantly better offer" was the reason for his resigning rather than his love of Plymouth as a city or Football club.

The only thing that could top yesterday's news would be Joe Mason returning, now that would be special.

Here's to a really good effort in League One this season that could even see the dream continue.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Doyley43":3g1bumt1 said:
davie nine":3g1bumt1 said:

Hang on two minutes!! On the GC10 'Poll', 528 voted that he would be 'elsewhere' but 509 voted that he would stay at Argyle.

509!! So nobody gets first dibs on 'I was bestest, I was right' in my book.

Who cares?? GC10 signs.

There was a young player called Carey
of signing for us he seemed wary
I was losing my mind
cos he still hadn't signed
But he's signed now and answered my ..... quary ? :oops:

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Doyley43":3j3smx4j said:
davie nine":3j3smx4j said:

Quite. There were many of us on here who DID think there was at least a chance he’d stay & who certainly hoped he would stay but accepted there was also a good chance he would leave. We could well understand why both he and the club were taking their time, and the longer it ‘dragged on’ the more our hopes rose.

The only difference was that X went to war in his typical style with those who disagreed – and TBF even now there are some saying the only reason he’s staying is because he failed a medical or it “proves” no bigger club actually wanted him or it’s only because DA didn’t get the Aberdeen job :facepalm: It does seem that some can’t quite get their heads around the idea that being happy & settled in a good working and living environment counts for a lot. We always had that advantage on our side (with our own much improved financial package) which tipped the finely balanced scales our way even with the offer of more cash from a bigger club (at the moment) on the other. That shows just how far we’ve come since the dark days.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Ave_IT":doqqhx5r said:
Doyley43":doqqhx5r said:
davie nine":doqqhx5r said:

Quite. There were many of us on here who DID think there was at least a chance he’d stay & who certainly hoped he would stay but accepted there was also a good chance he would leave. We could well understand why both he and the club were taking their time, and the longer it ‘dragged on’ the more our hopes rose.

The only difference was that X went to war in his typical style with those who disagreed – and TBF even now there are some saying the only reason he’s staying is because he failed a medical or it “proves” no bigger club actually wanted him or it’s only because DA didn’t get the Aberdeen job :facepalm: It does seem that some can’t quite get their heads around the idea that being happy & settled in a good working and living environment counts for a lot. We always had that advantage on our side (with our own much improved financial package) which tipped the finely balanced scales our way even with the offer of more cash from a bigger club (at the moment) on the other. That shows just how far we’ve come since the dark days.

Yeah, which in my case was attacking the poster not the post.

I'll still maintain that GC did not re-sign for Argyle because of his love of the club. Definitely, he has a great degree of respect for DA and if the rumours about Aberdeen were true we might have stood a chance of losing both.

Let's be absolutely sure about this. Throughout the summer we've had rumours of where GC might go including Skynet, who is regarded as one of our most trusted pundits stating he was gone. Whether we liked the posting about GC's daughters instagram posts it again lead most to believe he was gone. All very well in hindsight declaring yourself the winner of the highest peeing competition but very few of the little information being leaked would make anyone believe he was staying. It was only blind faith and stubbornness that encouraged anyone to continue to attack others because they shared a different view.

So well done whoever, you've not actually won because all those who thought GC was leaving are still ecstatic about his signing a new contract and those who contributed to the thread did so with a sense of loss.

There is the clapping emoji...how do you get the clapping to slow right down!

GC's decision and this topic gives me the chance to get something off my chest that's been annoying me for years. When I read some months ago that GC was particularly settled and enjoying the region with his family I felt this might be a clincher. We all too easily forget that outside the day job footballers are like the rest of us and want the best for their families.

As someone who migrated here in the eighties to obtain a better family life-style than that offered by London, I can appreciate this. Which is why I've got increasingly annoyed with argyle managers who have complained about the apparent difficulty in persuading players to move to what they considered a soccer outpost. Ken Brown was the worst for this, moaning every week that he couldn't get the players he wanted, probably mainly Londoners, because of our location.
Yet our three most successful managers, Smith, Sturrock and Adams, all moved here from the greatest distance and had/have no difficulty selling the region to new signings.

If Bournemouth, Hull and Norwich can make the top flight, then one day so can we.

Sep 6, 2006
IJN":1g4nqtd5 said:
Yep he sure did.

I wa certain he'd go, and said so several times.

Unlike some, I'm very, very happy to say I was wrong.

'unlike some'. Never one to take every opportunity to try to take the high ground are you?