Exeter City Match Thread | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exeter City Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2010
Green Neil":1rjvszyj said:
demportdave":1rjvszyj said:
It's all about being realistic and taking one game at a time.

I want Argyle to win on Saturday and to ultimately gain promotion as much as anyone else.

It's just that I don't wear green glasses like some appear to.

There is a LOT of sensible middle ground between wearing "green glasses" and slagging off the way a manager sets up a team who are second in the league after another excellent result away from home yesterday.
And that's the nub of the issue Neil, the absolute nail on the head of the whole green tint v brown tint thing. On any given game I'd wager the vast majority of posters and readers are in that middle ground somewhere, there's a big fat bell curve of a graph that represents green v brown.

The vast majority are sufficiently positive to see the good in Argyle's prospects but sufficiently pragmatic as to accept the risks to our prospects.

Where it gets silly however is at the margins. To the more extreme posters, the ones on the thin end of both ends of the bell curve, (there's an obvious gag there that i'll pass on :wink:), anything but their view is the work of the devil. If you're not sabre rattlingly jingoistic to an ultra green tint then you're only a 'so called fan', and if you're not navel gazingly critical and pessimistic then to an ultra brown tint you're burying your head in the sand.

It has always been thus, the extremes at either end are the shouty and finger pointy ones. But in all honesty they only make up a tiny proportion of the whole. Most of us sit somewhere in the middle, understanding all the potential positives whilst accepting all the risks and potential negatives.

To those in the less shouty majority I say ignore the slings and arrows of the tints and be proud of your broad and open mindedness, it'll serve you well over time. A bit of cynicism and suspicion is fine, a bit of hope and positivity is equally fine, embrace the blend of both.

When all you can see however is positivity or negativity, that's when you are lost to (ahem) the end of the bell curve :whistle:

Feb 2, 2007
Marino, oh woahh, Marino, oh woahh,
He scores his goals for fun
Against the City Scum

Sarcevic would fit well to this song.

A

andyr1963

Greenskin":11v6k9zf said:
demportdave":11v6k9zf said:
Qoo3939L":11v6k9zf said:
Can't believe so called fans on here are predicting we will lose and it's no problem
We won't lose, we won't draw we will dick them
Remember you so called fans
There's only ONE team in Devon!!!
Green Army!!
It's one thing being positive but it's another to be silly, not to mention wilfully blind. We haven't "dicked" anyone this season and we won't this week either.

The heart says Argyle will win but unfortunately, the head says that if we employ our usual tactics of sitting back and allowing plenty of possession of the ball and plenty of room in the middle of the park to a team who have won 7 on the trot whilst scoring 3 or 4 goals in each game, then there is only going to be one winner and it won't be us.

Exeter are in unbelievable form with 10 wins and 2 draws in their last 12 games, including their seventh straight win yesterday. They expect to win every time they step on the pitch, their confidence and team spirit must be sky high. They will coming to HP with only one thing on their mind, to take the game to Argyle and to win. You can also bet that Tisdale will be looking to exploit our weakness in defending set plays.

If ever there was a game where it is vital for Argyle to score first, this is it. But with the way that Adams sets us up to start games slowly and allow our opponents to take the initiative, that is not very likely.

Right now, I'd probably settle for another Argyle anti-climax in front of a big crowd and settle for an uneventful draw.

Bet you're a barrel of flipping laughs down the pub. Never thought i'd say this about anyone but you make Freathy seem optimistic.

Please do not take the "Sainted Antagonistic" ones name in vain. Some of us still miss his antagonistic sharp points.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Yes they are in great form, and they will come here expecting to win. But we had a run like theirs once, it ended with three straight heavy loses remember?

They have capitulation in them as much as we do, just look at the start of the season.

I'm not saying we'll win, but I don't think we'll get stuffed either.

It'll be a tough game as they all are. But remember Doncaster ARE better than Exeter, and look what happened there.

Let's enjoy it and see what happens.

Oct 16, 2016
No concerns about this match at all

Little bit more width, the forecast is good so I expect Carey to turn up

3-1

Jul 3, 2013
You cant blame them up the road for creaming their pants over this recent run. After all, we are talking about a club whos biggest achievement was having Micheal Jackson parade around the pitch!

Aug 15, 2008
Tisdale is a clever manager. he has done well now and then against us. that being said we should win, if you throw all the stats into a computer it would say home win.

however football does not function like that, but i expect a rip roaring Argyle to eviscerate them and to see tisdales pork pie hat blown down to trelawney road.

theyve been on a good run. all runs end. they beat up most of the lesser lights in the division. they aint beat a top 5 side have they.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
It's the three points on offer that matters.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Stiffler":2k7uy88m said:
You cant blame them up the road for creaming their pants over this recent run. After all, we are talking about a club whos biggest achievement was having Micheal Jackson parade around the pitch!

You forget the International Spoon Bender being invited into their Director's Box!

Aug 5, 2016
up_the_line":hvom81tr said:
demportdave":hvom81tr said:
I never mentioned yesterday's game.

I don't have a problem if you don't share my view of Adams and his tactics, this is supposed to be a discussion board. But why do you use phrases as "slagging off the Manager"?

I have a lot of respect for Adams because I think he is working very hard to get us promoted, but there are a number of things with which I don't agree.

Literally thousands of Argyle fans would like to see Adams change to playing 2 forwards in every game (for the record, not me) and it has been the cause of much debate and criticism over the last 18 months or so.

Does that also constitute "slagging off the Manager"?

Come on dd, you should know by now that any analysis of tactics ist verboten and constitutes having your 'claws out for Adams'

I did notice you didn't start any threads regarding DA's tactics on Saturday evening, or make 20-30 posts like you did after Yeovil and every time Argyle lose.

Not that you are anti-Adams or anything! :lol: You just happen to post five times more when Argyle drop points than when they win (mostly insulting the manager).

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Verte":1i654s65 said:
Tisdale is a clever manager. he has done well now and then against us. that being said we should win, if you throw all the stats into a computer it would say home win.

however football does not function like that, but i expect a rip roaring Argyle to eviscerate them and to see tisdales pork pie hat blown down to trelawney road.

theyve been on a good run. all runs end. they beat up most of the lesser lights in the division. they aint beat a top 5 side have they.
Blimey - get you! Dictionary Corner awaits. :lol:

Jul 6, 2005
Knibbsworth":qf7drqx9 said:
up_the_line":qf7drqx9 said:
demportdave":qf7drqx9 said:
I never mentioned yesterday's game.

I don't have a problem if you don't share my view of Adams and his tactics, this is supposed to be a discussion board. But why do you use phrases as "slagging off the Manager"?

I have a lot of respect for Adams because I think he is working very hard to get us promoted, but there are a number of things with which I don't agree.

Literally thousands of Argyle fans would like to see Adams change to playing 2 forwards in every game (for the record, not me) and it has been the cause of much debate and criticism over the last 18 months or so.

Does that also constitute "slagging off the Manager"?

Come on dd, you should know by now that any analysis of tactics ist verboten and constitutes having your 'claws out for Adams'

I did notice you didn't start any threads regarding DA's tactics on Saturday evening, or make 20-30 posts like you did after Yeovil and every time Argyle lose.

Not that you are anti-Adams or anything! :lol: You just happen to post five times more when Argyle drop points than when they win (mostly insulting the manager).
Not sure what the relevance is of starting threads, especially when you weren't actually at the game.

For the record, I am not "anti-Adams". Some people think he is the best thing since sliced bread; I don't. To date, he has achieved no more than his uninspiring predecessor and he was only a part-time Manager because of his domestic situation.

But if he gets us back to the Championship, I will re-consider.

Jan 9, 2006
X Isle":38gcyhz5 said:
Qoo3939L":38gcyhz5 said:
How about a little bet then?
Absolutely not. Not because the assessment of our chances by we pragmatists is flawed but because a) I don't bet on Argyle and b) nothing would please me more than us 'dicking' them anyway.

We all want the same result but l'll gnaw my own leg off before I take any result for granted, in any game, LEAST OF ALL against a team on their current form.

The first time I tentatively dipped a toe into that most stupid of thought process in years was at home to already relegated Dagenham and Redbridge last season. Never, never, never again :facepalm:

They are favourites, and i'm more than happy with that situation, as i'm sure DA will be. It helps us.

By that logic, given Exeter are a bigger price with the bookies, you should back them,it's the value bet according to your analyses.

Me, I'd go with your previous typical Argo thoughts, Argyle (Plymouth:)) to win, both teams to score, 4/1 with BWIN or hills.

T9i.

Status
Not open for further replies.