Exeter City Match Thread | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exeter City Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2010
Kentishgreen":efml6bim said:
Any " lucky " result will do- just like all the other "lucky" results we've had this season!
It calls to mind the 'lucky' win against Donny. DA hailed it as a tactical masterclass but unless the desired tactic was to give possession straight back to them at each and every opportunity then in my book we were very fortunate to keep a very good side from scoring.

Luck or tactical genius, more of the same will do very nicely :lol:

Mind you we had Slew as the 'one up' that day :facepalm:, I would hope for much much more 'stickability' with Taylor or Blissett this time. Talking of which, did any more come out about Taylor's injury, Sonny's too for that matter?

A

andyr1963

Metal_Green_Mickey":3a21q7cv said:
People build this game up but it's only worth 3pts.

I know it's bragging rights but come on, the budget they have and them on such low gates l don't really think it's hard to care what they do. The city isn't a footballing city. I feel the same for them as Torquay. When we play them l want to win. Yet having sides do well in our region is good for football in this part of the world.

I would be more gutted to lose a few days later to Leyton Orient at home because those are the games where teams are really struggling and you must win if you want promotion.

I think rivalry is built up over inter-city rivalries or teams that have memorable games. I hate Burley more than l do Exeter. That Burnley loss at home hurt and the relegation to them in league one at turf moor. The way they fans reacted showed no class. For me rivalry happens bevcause of passionate incidents over time. With Exeter they are a community club, and developing youngsters for the future of our game. Something to admire about that as more clubs of that statue in the lower leagues should be producing youth for the benefit of the game as a whole.

To really ignite the rivalry for me it would take a playoff finals win / defeat, at Wembley. You need stand out games, not league two fixtures, to really build this fixture up.

If l am being unfair tell me what sticks in your memory the most. A 96/97 relegation fixture at turf moor for a 2-1 loss or a 3-2 win at SJP in 2001 in our promotion season?

Being a part time "proper janner" i.e. proper footballing misery guts, THAT away game in the No.1 Grim Northern One is right up there with the all time dreadful away games. It would take a handful of Sid James Park results to start to ease the pain.

Sep 15, 2012
X Isle":je9bzkc1 said:
Qoo3939L":je9bzkc1 said:
Can't believe so called fans on here are predicting we will lose and it's no problem
We won't lose, we won't draw we will dick them
Remember you so called fans
There's only ONE team in Devon!!!
Green Army!!
What a silly post, I guess you'd call that 'so called' blind faith.

In no game this season have we been in such imperious form to justify a god given right to "dick" anyone. So such bombastic sabre rattling ahead of meeting wirh a side on a run of form we'd kill for is just about as stupid as King Canute believing he can stop the tide.

It doesn't matter a jot who the opposition is, you respect form like that. I know Derek Adams will, the chances of his team talk including "we're the only team in Devon so just go out and dick them" is pretty slim :funny:

They are the favorites, on form alone, any 'so called' rational and pragmatic fan can see that. If anyone is likely to get 'dicked' on current form, it's us.

I'm clinging to the desperate hope that everyone else sees it too. Expect nothing and the positive side of 'typical Argo' kicks in, we win where we're expected not to :wink:

Too much of your tub thumping and bleedin' obvious common sense defying clap trap though and it's guaranteed to end in tears.

What a load of tosh

Jul 29, 2010
If by 'tosh' you read an unbiased, sober and honest assessment of the relative form of both teams and the logical conclusion drawn from it, then yes...complete and utter tosh :lol:

You need to wipe the 'gentlemen juice' from your green tinted spectacles if you think we are incapable of losing or drawing this game. That sort of blind optimism is right up there with Captain Thumbs :thumbs:

Mar 14, 2009
Even if Argyle lose this game, this season the Devon derbies at best will finish 1 a piece so Exeter fans can't have the bragging rights this season no matter what happens. (Unless we meet each other in the playoffs).

Despite there great run they are now having, the season is over 46 games and not just the past 12 games they have played well in. They have to show this isn't a flash in the pan.

Now Argyle have to do the same. They put theselves in a great position with just over one third of the season to go. They have to put aside their last 28 games because they will be for nothing if we can't finish the job.

Jul 29, 2010
Qoo3939L":j23gtjfm said:
How about a little bet then?
Absolutely not. Not because the assessment of our chances by we pragmatists is flawed but because a) I don't bet on Argyle and b) nothing would please me more than us 'dicking' them anyway.

We all want the same result but l'll gnaw my own leg off before I take any result for granted, in any game, LEAST OF ALL against a team on their current form.

The first time I tentatively dipped a toe into that most stupid of thought process in years was at home to already relegated Dagenham and Redbridge last season. Never, never, never again :facepalm:

They are favourites, and i'm more than happy with that situation, as i'm sure DA will be. It helps us.

Oct 16, 2016
I love and loathe derbies with equal measure

The enmity is a prerequisite that should be embraced, the euphoria without feeling that (love/ loathe) is nonsense without it

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
X Isle":211r6a7u said:
Qoo3939L":211r6a7u said:
How about a little bet then?
Absolutely not. Not because the assessment of our chances by we pragmatists is flawed but because a) I don't bet on Argyle and b) nothing would please me more than us 'dicking' them anyway.

We all want the same result but l'll gnaw my own leg off before I take any result for granted, in any game, LEAST OF ALL against a team on their current form.

The first time I tentatively dipped a toe into that most stupid of thought process in years was at home to already relegated Dagenham and Redbridge last season. Never, never, never again :facepalm:

They are favourites, and i'm more than happy with that situation, as i'm sure DA will be. It helps us.
I would be happy if Exeter were favourites but I don't know what bookmaker you are looking at.

Skybet goes 13/10 against Argyle, 19/10 against Exeter and 23/10 against the draw and I'm sure that others will be offering similar odds.

Feb 2, 2007
X Isle":stsfvwbl said:
Larry David":stsfvwbl said:
Franks copped a one match ban! Means he's out for the City game!
Thankfully we've got cover in that position, plenty of us can fill in :thumbs:

How about polls for ban or not? The offending post(s) are put up and then we can vote as to no ban, 1 match, or 3 matches. Bit like the medieval stocks but virtual...

Jul 29, 2010
nick_PASTIE":3w29cjg6 said:
X Isle":3w29cjg6 said:
Larry David":3w29cjg6 said:
Franks copped a one match ban! Means he's out for the City game!
Thankfully we've got cover in that position, plenty of us can fill in :thumbs:

How about polls for ban or not? The offending post(s) are put up and then we can vote as to no ban, 1 match, or 3 matches. Bit like the medieval stocks but virtual...
Nah. It'd get like reality TV, popular but talentless individuals would survive and Marmite posters would spend as much time in the stocks as not. It's imperfect but moderators are the best, most consistent way.

I do kinda wish though sometimes that as much proactive effort was put into addressing the trolls and wind up merchants as it is into those who 'react' to them by crossing the line.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Qoo3939L":27qzohhq said:
Can't believe so called fans on here are predicting we will lose and it's no problem
Green Army!!
It's one thing being positive but it's another to be silly, not to mention wilfully blind. We haven't "dicked" anyone this season and we won't this week either.

The heart says Argyle will win but unfortunately, the head says that if we employ our usual tactics of sitting back and allowing plenty of possession of the ball and plenty of room in the middle of the park to a team who have won 7 on the trot whilst scoring 3 or 4 goals in each game, then there is only going to be one winner and it won't be us.

Exeter are in unbelievable form with 10 wins and 2 draws in their last 12 games, including their seventh straight win yesterday. They expect to win every time they step on the pitch, their confidence and team spirit must be sky high. They will coming to HP with only one thing on their mind, to take the game to Argyle and to win. You can also bet that Tisdale will be looking to exploit our weakness in defending set plays.

If ever there was a game where it is vital for Argyle to score first, this is it. But with the way that Adams sets us up to start games slowly and allow our opponents to take the initiative, that is not very likely.

Right now, I'd probably settle for another Argyle anti-climax in front of a big crowd and settle for an uneventful draw.

G

Greenskin

demportdave":2ufklqyg said:
Qoo3939L":2ufklqyg said:
Green Army!!
It's one thing being positive but it's another to be silly, not to mention wilfully blind. We haven't "dicked" anyone this season and we won't this week either.

The heart says Argyle will win but unfortunately, the head says that if we employ our usual tactics of sitting back and allowing plenty of possession of the ball and plenty of room in the middle of the park to a team who have won 7 on the trot whilst scoring 3 or 4 goals in each game, then there is only going to be one winner and it won't be us.

Exeter are in unbelievable form with 10 wins and 2 draws in their last 12 games, including their seventh straight win yesterday. They expect to win every time they step on the pitch, their confidence and team spirit must be sky high. They will coming to HP with only one thing on their mind, to take the game to Argyle and to win. You can also bet that Tisdale will be looking to exploit our weakness in defending set plays.

If ever there was a game where it is vital for Argyle to score first, this is it. But with the way that Adams sets us up to start games slowly and allow our opponents to take the initiative, that is not very likely.

Right now, I'd probably settle for another Argyle anti-climax in front of a big crowd and settle for an uneventful draw.

Bet you're a barrel of fudgeing laughs down the pub. Never thought i'd say this about anyone but you make Freathy seem optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.