Exeter City Match Thread | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exeter City Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2006
Ponty":2ejyf85s said:
Ham Green":2ejyf85s said:
To all those thinking they can upset Reuben on Saturday - don't kid yourself. He's a black footballer (one of the more notorious ones at that) plying his trade in lower-league football. You'd have to be some kind of wordsmith to say something he won't have heard before.
Don't see why you had to mention the colour of his skin? It really doesn't make any difference does it? Liked him when he was with us but hope he fails on Saturday.

I brought his colour into it because there are still plenty of knuckle-dragging morons in the stands who will use anything they can to get a reaction from him - yes, including his race.

The point is there are a couple of people on this thread and elsewhere claiming they're going to give him dog's abuse on saturday. My point was that he's probably heard it all before and it won't bother him in the slightest.

Jan 31, 2017
Ponty":3h7312fl said:
Ham Green":3h7312fl said:
To all those thinking they can upset Reuben on Saturday - don't kid yourself. He's a black footballer (one of the more notorious ones at that) plying his trade in lower-league football. You'd have to be some kind of wordsmith to say something he won't have heard before.
Don't see why you had to mention the colour of his skin? It really doesn't make any difference does it? Liked him when he was with us but hope he fails on Saturday.

The comment was not made in a racist way at all, you'd have to be blind to not realise that black footballers get more abuse than white footballers. I agree, being a black footballer must be so much harder than being a white footballer, he must have heard a lot of more personal insults, as opposed to if he was white, and that was what the post was pointing out!

Mar 8, 2016
I've not heard anything racsist at argyle for quite some time, the abuse he will get on Saturday will Be because he's wearing a Exeter city shirt, nothing more, nothing less. Somehow Tisdale has missed out on manager of the month award, they win every match wining by 3 to 4 goals and he's over looked haha.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Army green":3kayllwz said:
I've not heard anything racsist at argyle for quite some time, the abuse he will get on Saturday will Be because he's wearing a Exeter city shirt, nothing more, nothing less. Somehow Tisdale has missed out on manager of the month award, they win every match wining by 3 to 4 goals and he's over looked haha.

I guess the curse isnt there to be struck then. More nervous now!!!!.

Anyway, it's Argyle V Exeter Eve, who's excited :scarf:

Feb 2, 2007
Monster Green":1vyr28hj said:
Army green":1vyr28hj said:

Curse didn't work on Derek this season when he won it anyway!

Mar 8, 2016
Yes looking forward to it, just hope the players put a shift in, little personal stat of mine for this fixture, I've attended 15 matches between argyle and Exeter home and away since following argyle, I've never seen us lose.

Mar 8, 2016
Army green":94p6a5g5 said:
Yes looking forward to it, just hope the players put a shift in, little personal stat of mine for this fixture, I've attended 12 matches between argyle and Exeter home and away since following argyle, I've never seen us lose.

Apr 4, 2015
like many others have said, he joined us when we were struggling badly and did a great job. He had no choice in reality but to join exeter due to no other contracts being offered. He gave me and my boy some great memories like his unbelievable performance against pompey on services day a couple of years ago, sending their fans to the exits in their droves at half time. i will be applauding him before and after the game but not during obviously. I cant wait for the game now its gonna be a cracker.

Jun 11, 2012
Knibbsworth":axa09d05 said:
No grudges with Reuben for me. He's a stroppy egotistical character that needs an arm round the shoulder. He's high maintenance. He needs constant praise like he's Eric Cantona - all the talent in the world but hates authority and thinks the world is out to get him. Sheridan was prepared to put an arm around Reubs, prepared to pamper his special player, and had to motivate him just to chase down balls and stop feeling sorry for himself.
I agree with this almost entirely. He definitely doesn't have "all the talent in the world", but when he's up for it he's a real handful, quick, and a relatively good finisher. Unfortunately we only saw that RR 1 game in 5.

I'm happy he's gone, but booing would be very unfair.

May 1, 2011
RocketGreen":3a4fkiro said:
Ponty":3a4fkiro said:
Ham Green":3a4fkiro said:

The comment was not made in a racist way at all, you'd have to be blind to not realise that black footballers get more abuse than white footballers. I agree, being a black footballer must be so much harder than being a white footballer, he must have heard a lot of more personal insults, as opposed to if he was white, and that was what the post was pointing out!

I cannot remember the last time I heard racist chanting at Argyle or abuse due a player's skin colour, the race issues doesn't have to be mentioned in every debate about a player. It seems a bit Dianne Abbott esk.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Ham Green":2yme0ewl said:
why notorious?

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
X Isle":3eesffq7 said:
All a bit 'village' some of these comments, they make us seem very small minded.

To me it came over like he had pretty much hobsons choice ending up where he did, no 'disloyalty' or 'insult', just a crocked ex player desperate for work. I am grateful for what he did for us and if I ever met him would shake his hand, Exeter tracksuit or not. But on the day, on the pitch, i'll save my applause and appreciation for the players in green and won't waste any energy on booing him.

If he kisses their badge then I stand corrected, but he won't.

Very well said

Jul 29, 2010
nick_PASTIE":3bycdqnk said:
Monster Green":3bycdqnk said:
Army green":3bycdqnk said:

Curse didn't work on Derek this season when he won it anyway!
The curse which never fails is the curse of typical Argyle. Fortunately, some bombadtic head buried in sand green tints aside, most of us are thoroughly respecting a worthy rival and their fantastic form.

So, by rights, even despite the big crowd, there isn't a widespread expectation of imperious victory so the curse works in our favour for once. If we're expecting it to be tough and a victory less likely than normal it doesn't towel flick the gods of fate the way it usually does, and that bodes well :scarf:

So i'm happily predicting a comfortable Exeter win :wink:

Jul 3, 2006
Reid is only at Exeter, rather than earning more money in a higher league, because of his injury record, which was exacerbated while playing when injured to try and get Argyle promoted. Would be extremely harsh to boo him

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I'll be giving him appropriate abuse required to put him off his game and make him feel as comfortable as legally possible from the first whistle to the last.

There's very little compassion during a derby match with such importance I'm afraid

Status
Not open for further replies.