Craig Tanner (merged x 4) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Craig Tanner (merged x 4)

Mar 14, 2009
Has skill and talent but for me didn't influence a game enough to became a first team regular.

Not sure he got any better this year and this is surely where at his age he need regular first team football to develop.

Good luck to him though as he always put in 100% effort.

Aug 15, 2015
Shame about Tanner but he needs to change his mentality for me. He seems more interested in having fun than knuckling down and focusing. Whether it's attempting the crossbar challenge pre-match, taking selfies on the pitch or pulling pranks - the guy needs to wake up and get into 'the zone'. He's too much about being in his comfort zone and having fun. Shame as he definitely has got some ability but if he really wants to nail a place in a football league side and produce over 90 minutes across a whole season then he really needs to step up a bit. Otherwise he isn't much more than what he has been for us - a sporadic squad player to bring on for the last 20.

Despite them being close friends - I look at Threlkeld and see a man on the pitch who is driven to go places and demonstrate the right level of focus. Tanner's focus isn't the same.

Mar 21, 2006
Shoenice":2bpexl1n said:
Shame about Tanner but he needs to change his mentality for me. He seems more interested in having fun than knuckling down and focusing. Whether it's attempting the crossbar challenge pre-match, taking selfies on the pitch or pulling pranks - the guy needs to wake up and get into 'the zone'. He's too much about being in his comfort zone and having fun. Shame as he definitely has got some ability but if he really wants to nail a place in a football league side and produce over 90 minutes across a whole season then he really needs to step up a bit. Otherwise he isn't much more than what he has been for us - a sporadic squad player to bring on for the last 20.

Despite them being close friends - I look at Threlkeld and see a man on the pitch who is driven to go places and demonstrate the right level of focus. Tanner's focus isn't the same.

This.

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
Think Wotton mentioned in an interview that Oscar and Tanner were an annoying twosome, immature (but I suppose they are only young lads) Both seem like jokers but as you have said Oscar is far more focused and a more valued player for the team, possibly doing a more important role for the team and consistently.
To be a successful footballing clown aka Gazza you have to be very talented

Oct 14, 2015
Thought the writing was on the cards when, as sub at Crawley, he was subbed himself....no coming back despite what DA said about the reasons for doing so..

Apr 1, 2009
I think recent posts have hit the nail on the head. Tanner hasn't developed much in the two years he's been with us, in contrast to Threlkeld who is a different player from the one who came on loan early in the 15-16 season. I wish Tanner all the best, and hope he fulfils his potential, but football is littered with players who don't live up to their early promise.

Mar 23, 2008
Seems a good character but agree with other comments in that he hasn't grown and is no further forward this year than last. Seems odds his toe seasons with us have been mirror images, in the sense of drifting out of the picture completely for the final 10 or so games. Still think he has plenty of potential but can't see him staying.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Deacster":32t8znjv said:
Seems a good character but agree with other comments in that he hasn't grown and is no further forward this year than last. Seems odds his toe seasons with us have been mirror images, in the sense of drifting out of the picture completely for the final 10 or so games. Still think he has plenty of potential but can't see him staying.
He has gone back to Reading. See retained list.

Mar 23, 2008
davie nine":e9fjpd0e said:
Deacster":e9fjpd0e said:
He has gone back to Reading. See retained list.
He went back to Reading last summer but came back this season, am fully aware of the retained list but this thread is debating his merits and where he may end up plying his trade next season.

Aug 17, 2005
A few weeks ago it was being debated on here about the possibility of Joe Mason returning. I tend to think that Joe next season will have to drop down a league to get his career back on track and that Wolves whilst not playing him will be keen for him to get him game time whilst not in opposition to themselves if only to get some of their outlay of him back the following close season. So whilst I like Craig Tanner and consider he could do a job for us if their was the possibility between the two as they are similar I would have to say a loan of Joe Mason

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Argy1e":1ina47oe said:
Released by Reading. Not surprised. Would be surprised to see him return though.

That was expected although Reading did give contracts to 11 under-23 players or young players who had been out on loan.

It will be interesting to see where Tanner ends up for next season.

Jan 11, 2017
Tanner hasn't been given enough game time this season at argyle, I can guarantee he wont be coming back. He deserves and needs weekly first team game time and should be a regular starter and will not get that at Argyle. However he is league 1 quality and can see us playing against him next season