Carey | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Carey

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
DA does not need to drop Carey. He simply needs to put an arm around his shoulder and tell him that he doesn't need to beat three men and score a wonder goal every time he has the ball.
Of course his goals have dried up since he's been posted on the wing - if that comes as a surprise to anyone then they really haven't watched a lot of football. Its the Banton scenario - when he's played in a central position, allowed to wander in that ambiguous area between the opposition's midfield and centre-halves then he's at his most destructive. Positioned on the wing he is far easier to police. However that doesn't mean he is a complete passenger in games - I seem to recall that it was his wonder-pass that unlocked the Chino's defence to get us off the mark.
Didn't he also provide the pin-point accurate cross for Sarcevic's winner at Cambridge? Oh yeah he did.
GC is having to get used to doing the percentage things that he doesn't normally have to worry about, that's all. But he's still one of the first names on the teamsheet for me and we are extremely fortunate to have, in him, a player who can turn a game in a split second.
As for Tanner, we've seen DA turn to Donaldson in two games where we really needed to attack the opposition and turn the screw so I really see no hope for poor CT.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Don't agree Patrick.

It was the lack of urgency that was missing yesterday.

As I say, my opinion (and that's all it is) is he needs a rest.

Nov 22, 2016
I can't believe that DA seems to be overlooking Tanner. He worked hard after the Liverpool circus acts to keep him on-loan at Home park. The fans love him, he plays out of his skin every minute he is on the pitch and he is a really dangerous attacking option. Why on earth is he not being utilised as a super sub? I truly think given 20 - 25 minutes at the end of yesterdays game and against the chinese bunch he would have turned the game. Lets start a Tanner chant on 60 minutes against Notts! :scarf: Tanner...Tanner...

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
I would think Carey is the first name DA puts on the team sheet, he his so important to this team nobody in the squad can do what he can, he has been a bit short of form lately although against Exeter he was back to some where near his best,he makes the team tick.
I would be very surprised if the manager was to leave him out of the team.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that most League 2 sides are wary of his reputation. This allows Kennedy more space which he has utilised. If they double up on Kennedy maybe the situation will be reversed.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Shows how much strength in depth we have this season, that I almost forgot about Tanner. Not bad to have someone like that up your sleeve is it?

With Spencer back in the fray to reinforce us as well, surely we have the tools to get over the line this time.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Biggs":p0anrnjn said:
Shows how much strength in depth we have this season, that I almost forgot about Tanner. Not bad to have someone like that up your sleeve is it?

With Spencer back in the fray to reinforce us as well, surely we have the tools to get over the line this time.
We have got a got strong squad with everyone fit and available and we have lots of options in midfield and up front, but we don't have a proven goal scorer who might be the difference between defeat and a draw or a draw and a win.

Jul 29, 2010
demportdave":3gwtvfkm said:
Biggs":3gwtvfkm said:

We have got a got strong squad with everyone fit and available and we have lots of options in midfield and up front, but we don't have a proven goal scorer who might be the difference between defeat and a draw or a draw and a win.
(In the style of Doc Brown at the end of Back to the Future)...

"Proven goalscorer?, the way we play, we don't NEED a proven goalscorer" :cool:

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
IJN":3eihiefh said:
I'd do something with Tanner and Sarcy, that may work.

GC is just not right at the moment.

Saying that, the firmer pitches will be here soon, and he seems to love that.

Not Often we agree but today we do ! Personally as an away fan I don't think hes really performed since Crewe and it was only 2nd half at that.
I also don't get the plaudits that Fox gets away from home either his passing isn't as good as he thinks and his work rate is poor. When away from home he is one of the reasons why we get overun in midfield. For Me McWho or O'Conner would strengthen this side

Dec 14, 2008
Plymouth
Just saw that Ladbrokes tweeted out that with 10 goals and 12 assists, Carey is the only player in all 4 divisions to have double figures in both of those categories. I know he's gone off the boil over the last few weeks/months but all in all over the season he has been our most important player. If he was consistent in every game all season and kept that sort of goals and assists pace up through the entire season hed be playing at a higher level than this and for a better team than us I'm sure. I'm not sure why certain people on here refuse to give him any credit and if we do badly its always his fault.

Dec 17, 2016
Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that Carey should be dropped in my opinion.

He is different to all the other players we have, in that he can magic something out of nothing and always means our team carries a real threat that must keep opposition teams worried and guessing.

I also think his free-kick taking ability is excellent. His brilliant effort on Saturday only denied by an equally excellent save by the Carlisle keeper.

NO!! Keep Carey in the team!! Although he has had a general drop in form lately, I think he is now coming good and I have faith that he will produce the goods in the coming weeks and see us through to automatic promotion.

With recent injuries having weakened Argyle in recent matches, I think the expectation that Carey will single-handedly compensate for this, is unrealistic! However, now that players are returning from injury, I think Carey will add that much needed zest to the solid Argyle performances that must now surely become the norm until the end of the season!! :cool:

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
green dreams":hpfh54eb said:
Just saw that Ladbrokes tweeted out that with 10 goals and 12 assists, Carey is the only player in all 4 divisions to have double figures in both of those categories. I know he's gone off the boil over the last few weeks/months but all in all over the season he has been our most important player. If he was consistent in every game all season and kept that sort of goals and assists pace up through the entire season hed be playing at a higher level than this and for a better team than us I'm sure. I'm not sure why certain people on here refuse to give him any credit and if we do badly its always his fault.

''Twas ever thus - our most talented players always get a slagging when they don't pull a rabbit out of the hat every week, especially if we hit a bad patch. Mackie was a headless chicken with no end product, Buzsacky a show-boater liability, Bolasie just ran around in circles, Noone was light weight who never tracked back, Ashley Barnes was lazy and just rolled around on the floor....... They all went on to excel at a high level but weren't allegedly good enough for us much of the time.

I guess it's natural to look to your best players when you're in need and then get disappointed and resentful when they don't deliver on cue. But they are all human and have good and bad days - but when Carey is on song he is a joy to watch. For sheer jaw dropping skill he's the best we've had since Buz and we have been fortunate to have had him for two whole seasons - hopefully much longer - I expected him to be snapped up in January of last year. Amazed and delighted we kept him.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think he struggles on the winter pitches when they are heavy, the same thing happened last season when he went off form after Christmas.

But even when he's off form he still does a job for the team and will provide dangerous set-pieces. Hopefully he's hitting form at just the right time.

He's been our best player since the heady days of the Championship.
We need to get promoted to have a chance of keeping him. At the moment as fans we take him for granted but his true worth to the team will only be realised when he's gone.

By my reckoning Carey has played in five different positions this season - wide left and right, just behind the striker, centre midfield and left-back!