Brent criticised for not starting different building project | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brent criticised for not starting different building project

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
DBDave":1drbvade said:
.. on the tenuous possibility that some allegedly corrupt gentlemen in Europe might give England the nod for a major tournament and as a result Plymouth as a city even more tenuously might get a big cash bonus.

It wasn't that tenuous, given how the Olympics was procured last minute from the French.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That was sport, the WC is football. Or are you suggesting that Blatter is not bent?

Aug 15, 2008
England have no chance of a crumb off the FIFA table whilst Blatter and his cohorts are in power. I think Dyke has even said this publically too. They are a disgrace - they make our FA look enlightened......

There are always alternatives to HHP and the dreaded balloon payment.

They have been mentioned above - naming rights, Pitch Holders Share Issue, adding Directors, Grants and Bursaries from Sport England, Lottery etc etc.

What worries me is the loud silence from within Home Park - seeing as we were promised greater engagement and transparency.

JB does not have the cash to do it all on his own. He is a middle man - he joins investors to projects. What worries me is the lack of people jumping into HHP. If it was such a good thing why is it not off and running?

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
I know that Pompey were selling square metres of their pitch (I think it was £50 per square metre) to raise money for their training ground.

The minimum pitch size you can have is 90m x 45 metres. So going for the minimum pitch size (I don't know what the actually size of Home Park pitch is) so that would mean 4,050 square metres. This would mean if we were able to sell each square metre for £50 it would raise the club £202,500 (or £405,000 at £100 per square metre).

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Verte":37d9m0dj said:
......What worries me is the lack of people jumping into HHP. If it was such a good thing why is it not off and running?

You've answered your own question there really. The whole plan is so half-arsed, it amazes me that there's been any take up at all.

Someone made a good point earlier on though. The official line was that a big part of why this ministand was needed was to raise the necessary extra revenue for the balloon payment. I've yet to meet or speak to anyone whose opinion I trust, that is happy or content with Brents vision of a new Grandstand, and it is obviously nailed on that there'll be no extra funds coming from any new stand any time soon. So as far as I can see the only feasible option Brent has, is surely to be moving heaven and earth to broker some kind of exit strategy for himself?

Alternatively, everyone could just keep their collective heads buried in the sand and hope for the best.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don't think anyone is attempting to bury their heads in the sand Oxy, it's a real worry and no mistake.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

IJN":rphtgdu8 said:
I don't think anyone is attempting to bury their heads in the sand Oxy, it's a real worry and no mistake.

I disagree I'm afraid. What's more, I'd say that the CEO continually stating that there is no Plan B is a classic demonstration of burying his head in the sand.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
The Grumpy Loyal":3ul6x3ik said:
IJN":3ul6x3ik said:

I disagree I'm afraid. What's more, I'd say that the CEO continually stating that there is no Plan B is a classic demonstration of burying his head in the sand.

Or maybe there is no Plan B because those closest to the 'problem' believe that negotiations/variations on/about a Plan A will succeed? :think:

Dec 15, 2012
I have to say living in Bristol looking in...the lack of progress in any Akkeron development is a worry...

Any chance Bastille can do a gig at HP with profits to Argyle for the balloon payment??

Just a thought, we need to come up with something, i fear we will be needed...and soon.

I hope I'm wrong.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
IJN":n5r3ayv7 said:
That was sport, the WC is football. Or are you suggesting that Blatter is not bent?

All just the sports business, isn’t it.
I shouldn’t wish to opine on Blatter’s integrity. But perhaps a dog will find it in a bush.

Just a bit of a coincidence that any bidding competition Britain wins is a fist in the air for merit and hard work, any bid process lost must stink to high heaven. Though any despot would struggle to run a propaganda machine more full of it than BBC News, alas.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I have no idea of James Brents` means of financing the HHP development, no more than other posters on this thread, what I cant do is get over-excited about something I can neither influence nor change. Perhaps this lack of apparent transparency on this issue has a lot to do with confidentiality, just maybe investors and potential investors insist on their business being kept "in confidence" at this time. Perhaps with other projects also in the pipeline from other developers, transparency would weaken James Brents` negotiating strength with investors and those who will be running various aspects of the developments. I still have confidence in the Chairman, if my confidence should be proved to be misplaced, well, I`ll live with it. I have hope for the future.