Brent criticised for not starting different building project | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brent criticised for not starting different building project

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
nikkk":7xx8x4pf said:
From my point of view it is so frustrating to see posts that latch on to every possible negative when we don't even know that there is one ! And it is true that some posters almost revel in what is perceived as bad news.

I don't see that there is any link whatsoever between Oldway Mansions, and the Argyle plans. They are entirely separate. Whatever commercial decisions are being made over that project do not affect the plans here. It is ridiculous to assume that an issue there somehow means that our project will not see the light of day.

Is anyone suggesting there is a direct link between the two sets of plans? I don't read things that way.

BUT, there is obviously an indirect link between the schemes, namely that they both belong to the same company.

Actually, more importantly, I think, is that they appear to me to share the same, so far unsuccessful, funding model. A cynic might suggest that the way that Akkeron tries to go about setting up these development projects doesn't work. Let's hope that, for the Argyle plans at least, the finances do fall into place eventually and the plans can go forward. However, it is hard to see how they can possibly go forward quickly enough to provide the required financial input to the club on the necessary timescale. Hopefully there are not tough times ahead.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Or Tim, there's a Plan B being developed.

Let's all hope there is.

Feb 8, 2005
Wasn't there a clause in the plan that said that if the grandstand was NOT built by a certain time, that the Club would benefit by an amount of money?

I cannot remember the exact amount or timing, but I'm sure we can find it somewhere.

Perhaps that's the plan 'B'.

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
The Doctor":2vn1nou5 said:
nikkk":2vn1nou5 said:
From my point of view it is so frustrating to see posts that latch on to every possible negative when we don't even know that there is one ! And it is true that some posters almost revel in what is perceived as bad news.

I don't see that there is any link whatsoever between Oldway Mansions, and the Argyle plans. They are entirely separate. Whatever commercial decisions are being made over that project do not affect the plans here. It is ridiculous to assume that an issue there somehow means that our project will not see the light of day.

Is anyone suggesting there is a direct link between the two sets of plans? I don't read things that way.

BUT, there is obviously an indirect link between the schemes, namely that they both belong to the same company.

Actually, more importantly, I think, is that they appear to me to share the same, so far unsuccessful, funding model. A cynic might suggest that the way that Akkeron tries to go about setting up these development projects doesn't work. Let's hope that, for the Argyle plans at least, the finances do fall into place eventually and the plans can go forward. However, it is hard to see how they can possibly go forward quickly enough to provide the required financial input to the club on the necessary timescale. Hopefully there are not tough times ahead.

Mate, and here is the real point.... How on earth do you know what the funding model is for the other models you refer to ?? How can you, we , even begin to compare it to the proposed Argyle scheme. This is the point. Forget the other "stuff" it has fudge all to do with Argyle !

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
IJN":sy0vryzq said:
spowell92":sy0vryzq said:
IJN":sy0vryzq said:
am I happy he seems to be struggling with HHP at the moment, of course I am. Who wouldn't be?

Freudian Ian? ;)

In all honesty, I don't know Brent personally and won't make a character judgment on him. What I will say is he seems as good a bloke as any to lead this club back up, but unfortunately it's not working out. For whatever reason his intentions to save the club appear to be on the brink of collapse. I do believe it was naive that a plan B wasn't in order in case HHP didn't come to fruition for him. I have to say, I lack the answers on where we go. But I would suggest turning back to the throwaway comments he made a few months ago that he'd been approached by people seeking to take ownership of the club. I feel that it's possibly the last avenue to be investigated now.

I don't think the owner of the club is that important Sam, it's the club itself is all that matters.

If JB does fail, and I hope he doesn't, and he sells on to someone else, then so be it, as long as we have a club, that's the crucial thing for most Argyle fans.

Of course Ownership is important Ian. As fans we put a great deal of trust in the custodians of the club to run it to the best of their ability. My point is that I don't feel that the best Brent can deliver is good enough for Argyle (for the needs of the club and it's fanbase). That's not a dig at James Brent, I hoped it would work, but like I said his intentions so far have been far from coming to fruition. I hope that they (the board) can come up with a plan B, but it will be scrutinised accordingly. If there are alternatives out there that can do more for the club than Brent, then if he has the club's interests at hearts then he would walk away. Again, I'm not stating as fact that there are greater alternatives, but I feel it's an avenue to explore perhaps.

Jan 27, 2012
I would be enthusiastic about the development if the proposed grandstand looked like it was capable of meeting all the club's ambitions over the next 30-40 years. But it looks small-fry to me.

We might be a small-fry club in the overall scheme of things, but Plymouth is well capable of supporting a strong Championship club if run well and it's not an impossible dream for us to dabble in the Premier league for the odd season. Things would need to improve dramatically and the club needs to be well run to achieve these things, but it is realistic for a city of this size in the longer term.. The new grandstand is OK for current ambitions but we will be stuck with it for the rest of our lifetimes. The city deserve something a little bigger and better in my opinion, especially as the Council are allowing a big chunk of central park to be developed all over to help pay for the thing.

So if the development falls through, I'm not that bothered. And I would sleep easier if the planning permission lapsed (which presumably will happen in 2 years time if there is no start made ?)

Guess I'm in the minority again, but there you go, its a public forum.

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
Cornish Chris":1mpurmni said:
Given that you've told us earlier in this thread that you're close to him - any chance of finding out? Or are we just going to have to hope for the best?

Transparency and a bit of honesty would be a fine thing. One day.

Chris, you know how much I am close to your opinions on many things, but please.. what are you looking for? James has made it perfectly clear where we are over the development. And confirmed by Martyn S . Can't we please let them crack on and we look forward to the start of the season in a little over a week :scarf:

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I'd rather it didn't happen at all than it being complete in 5-10 years time. As others have said, that balloon payment is looking and if HHP isn't going to contribute to an increase in revenue and reducing our debt then what is the point? Everybody know the proposed Grandstand is too small but if it benefits the club then great...but it doesn't look very promising at the moment.

B

Baby Face Johnson

nikkk":34bov91k said:
Cornish Chris":34bov91k said:
Given that you've told us earlier in this thread that you're close to him - any chance of finding out? Or are we just going to have to hope for the best?

Transparency and a bit of honesty would be a fine thing. One day.

Chris, you know how much I am close to your opinions on many things, but please.. what are you looking for? James has made it perfectly clear where we are over the development. And confirmed by Martyn S . Can't we please let them crack on and we look forward to the start of the season in a little over a week :scarf:

He is looking for a possible alternative to how on earth we are going to raise the balloon payment now that the HHP development will not be completed in time, if at all. In my opinion, the additional revenue/profit anticipated was fanciful at best, in any event. Why is it unreasonable to want to know of a Plan B, or are you content to muddle on and just hope for the best?

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
up_the_line":3qtpkc6l said:
When I was 10 I drew an Incredible Spaceship.
It had an onboard zoo, an ice cream factory and a 4 storey waterslide running round the outside.
It never got built either.

You know those guys who you see in films who ride into small hick towns in the deep south of America, dressed in pristine white suits and selling 'miracle cures'..................

Damn Health & Safety laws they stop everything.

B

Baby Face Johnson

I believe we have to pay a lump sum of £2 million? to Creditors in the next couple of years. The increased revenue/profit from the stand was going to fund this, although the figures mentioned are debatable at best. We now need to know how we are going to fund this payment or else we could face another admin. Martin Starnes is already on record stating there is no Plan B. Whether this has altered since is what we all want to know.