Brent criticised for not starting different building project | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brent criticised for not starting different building project

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
spowell92":28dtuj3i said:
Fair enough Ian, it may be the case that an absolutely fantastic and sure thing Plan B has been worked up. If that's the case, why the hush hush? So much for honesty, openness and transparency... Blindly following based purely on faith in my opinion is burying your head in the sand, especially after the last time. So much for never again.

Sam, when I have large projects at work, I don't speak about them to anyone but those who a) NEED to know and b) Those that have experience and can help. Perhaps that's what's going on.

This need to be open and transparent doesn't sound like anything to do with any business I've ever been involved with.

Let's face it when Martyn Starnes said 'There IS no Plan B' (as an example) it's been the source of much angst ever since.

We're fans, not colleagues, we're fans not financial advisors. Some people seem to think they're experts, but most, if not all, are.

I always listen to Graham Clark (although he's peed me off at the moment) as he is in the industry of 'development', but even Graham cannot know what is happening regarding PAFC and Home Park. HHP to some extent, but not HP and PAFC, only the blokes who own and paid to run our club know that.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
IJN":2skeci2u said:
spowell92":2skeci2u said:
Fair enough Ian, it may be the case that an absolutely fantastic and sure thing Plan B has been worked up. If that's the case, why the hush hush? So much for honesty, openness and transparency... Blindly following based purely on faith in my opinion is burying your head in the sand, especially after the last time. So much for never again.

Sam, when I have large projects at work, I don't speak about them to anyone but those who a) NEED to know and b) Those that have experience and can help. Perhaps that's what's going on.

This need to be open and transparent doesn't sound like anything to do with any business I've ever been involved with.

Let's face it when Martyn Starnes said 'There IS no Plan B' (as an example) it's been the source of much angst ever since.

We're fans, not colleagues, we're fans not financial advisors. Some people seem to think they're experts, but most, if not all, are.

I always listen to Graham Clark (although he's pi$$ed me off at the moment) as he is in the industry of 'development', but even Graham cannot know what is happening regarding PAFC and Home Park. HHP to some extent, but not HP and PAFC, only the blokes who own and paid to run our club know that.

You mean like Stapleton knew what was going on at the club?

"I saw how much we lost in May 2010 but we were just told things were going to be ok once the development started," Mr Stapleton said. "We were being swept along in some respects.

"We could see that there was a problem coming, if you like, but we were told 'Don't worry – when we get to December 2010 and the World Cup announcement it'll be all sorted out.'"

Is it me or is there an echo in here?

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Pointblank":31vu6t71 said:
Dont P**s me off people....BALLOON PAYMENT !!!
We've seen a few suggestions on here to raise money. What pi***s me off is people who criticise, point at a problem and shout but offer no practical help or even ideas!

IJN":31vu6t71 said:
Ain't that the truth!

Jul 6, 2011
up_the_line":namntc2e said:
IJN":namntc2e said:
up_the_line":namntc2e said:
Mike Greening":namntc2e said:
Everything else will fall into place in due course. :scarf:

And there it is. The dictionary definition of the Plymouth attitude

Or of course, we could down the other route of shouting our vacuous gobs off, not allowing for what must inevitably going on in the background.

Perhaps it's pointing out that what was said at a Q&A might have changed since that time.

'There is no Plan B' might have been right then, it might not be now.

Just a thought.

The only vacuum is the vacuum of information coming out of the club.
The only inevitability is that people will assume we're no closer a solution if the club don't actually say they're actively working on an alternative strategy.
Sorry, but your hint that there is a highly secretive Plan B being hashed out deep in the corridors of Home Park is at odds with the last statements from the club on the matter, which is that HHP is the be all and end all so until Brent or Starnes come out and say they're working on Plan B I'll be referring to their latest stated position as opposed to some vaguely hypothetical Plan B that may or may not exist.
Please remind me what happened the last time we blithely 'allowed for what was inevitably happening in the background'.

That undoubtedly is the major problem, Argyle should be more forthcoming with the facts.
It's also possible that the fans may be able to help, if not financially we definitely come up with some money-making ideas as in the GT's and we may need to mobilise now if the situation is as out of control as some believe.
Not all, but some of the contributors on here seem almost gleeful of the possibility of a Brent failure, let's remember that if he fails and despite what some say there are very few sugar daddies around who will write off a 2-3 million debt just to get their hands on a league 2 club on the verge of financial disaster. Sorry folks, but to me Brent is last chance saloon and we need to support this man.

I think there is a world of difference between the characters of James Brent and Todd, Gardener and the rest I don't want to mention. I would say that despite earlier Brent statements of lack of any football knowledge or kinship, he (and his kids) are now well indoctrinated into Argyle fanhood. I back that statement up personally after seeing him punch the air and practically jump up and down after Argyle scored. A real fan unlike the cold blooded businessman Roy Gardener, who couldn't give a toss.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Would you/we have accepted that from the previous regime, the last time the club was against the wall? You know Brent far better than I do and so you probably have a great deal more trust and belief in the guy, but I and others don't and the club aren't doing anything to assure any fan concerns. Brent was the one that promised openness and transparency, I'm just asking where that promise has gone?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm not for one moment saying 'follow blindly' what I am saying is that this club is now run more fiscally prudent than the old bucket or worms, the year on year figures prove how prudent it has become.

In fact, the irony from some quarters is that PAFC is being 'too prudent' at the moment.

Me, I'd love JB to sell up, to a rich Arab, and then we can all concentrate on which of the four tiers we want to sit in.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Hmm, so fiscally prudent that Tony Wrathall was required to come in to aid the finances? I'm sorry Ian, as much as I'd love to relax and fully trust Brent I just don't see the evidence to do so.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
spowell92":1as4obdp said:
Would you/we have accepted that from the previous regime, the last time the club was against the wall? You know Brent far better than I do and so you probably have a great deal more trust and belief in the guy, but I and others don't and the club aren't doing anything to assure any fan concerns. Brent was the one that promised openness and transparency, I'm just asking where that promise has gone?

I trusted Stapleton right up to end if I'm honest, why, because I'm a loyal fan that likes to believe the best in people, but once the truth was out, what had to be done was done in my mind. There were a lot of fans who rallied around and stood up for what they believed in, and that was the future of the club.

As for 'openness and transparency', I personally think JB was naïve in promising that, as they young birds in a nest, the more worms you bring back, the more they want. But that's only my opinion.

What I do know is JB is a decent chap, a family man, and a Chairman who cares a lot about PAFC. He missed only 3 games last season, not bad for someone who is only interested in the HHP development.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
spowell92":7gn0fne8 said:
Hmm, so fiscally prudent that Tony Wrathall was required to come in to aid the finances? I'm sorry Ian, as much as I'd love to relax and fully trust Brent I just don't see the evidence to do so.

I would say that was a fiscally prudent move.

Also, when you are the ONLY one dipping into your pocket, it might make you feel a bit better if someone else is on board to do the same.

Just a thought.

Must go, I have work to do. :greensmile:

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
spowell92":bwob7z33 said:

The last line sums it up for me. The never again mantra rang out load when we were finally rescued, mainly through the willingness of staff to defer payments and the creditors to write off virtually their entire debt.

Now it seems people are being discouraged from asking questions. I dislike the blind "trust in Brent and he will come through" approach. Since taking over the club he has done nothing at all to earn this level of trust that he will get it right - other Akkeron projects are falling apart while Argyle seems to also stagnate, suggesting that the ability to fulfil promises just isn't there. The main worry is that he has bitten off more than he can chew, making promises he cant keep.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
The Grumpy Loyal":rz34wqgy said:
Mike Greening":rz34wqgy said:
I'm just happy that we have a club to support........ :scarf:

:facepalm:

I'd like a club to be PROUD of. Not a sad little backwater village amateur side with no hopes and no ambitions. An ambitious, exciting club focussed on achieving playing success.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Womble":av798ls1 said:
...... while Argyle seems to also stagnate, suggesting that the ability to fulfil promises just isn't there. The main worry is that he has bitten off more than he can chew, making promises he cant keep.
:facepalm: How are we stagnating? It was always going to be a long haul to get back to the Championship - no quick fix. Last season we brushed with the play-offs so if JS can improve results just a bit then BOOM !! Unless Crown Prince Graiser rides in on his white stallion clutching millions then JB it is! Can't we just start the season on a really positive note, put the possible problems to one side and let the +ve vibes flow down to the players. The greens are going up !! :scarf:

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
tigertony":45iut5cl said:
Womble":45iut5cl said:
...... while Argyle seems to also stagnate, suggesting that the ability to fulfil promises just isn't there. The main worry is that he has bitten off more than he can chew, making promises he cant keep.
:facepalm: How are we stagnating? It was always going to be a long haul to get back to the Championship - no quick fix. Last season we brushed with the play-offs so if JS can improve results just a bit then BOOM !! Unless Crown Prince Graiser rides in on his white stallion clutching millions then JB it is! Can't we just start the season on a really positive note, put the possible problems to one side and let the +ve vibes flow down to the players. The greens are going up !! :scarf:

I could have worded it better Tony - off field we have stagnated. The stand has gone nowhere and looks unlikely, and even if it does happen it's crap. The promises of openness and transparency have gone nowhere.

On field is a bit better (despite being in this dog-*** league). I have tipped us for automatic promotion on numerous threads and have a lot of faith in Sheridan, and was one of his supporters when he was copping flak on here last season.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Womble":16fajlsx said:
The Grumpy Loyal":16fajlsx said:
Mike Greening":16fajlsx said:
I'm just happy that we have a club to support........ :scarf:

:facepalm:

I'd like a club to be PROUD of. Not a sad little backwater village amateur side with no hopes and no ambitions. An ambitious, exciting club focussed on achieving playing success.
If that's what you think of our club I'm surprised you're still here.