Bobby Reid recalled | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bobby Reid recalled

Jan 2, 2010
'spose, but look on the bright side, it's identified a 'need' in January.

If we look at the players that aren't playing, and have a couple in the same position - then we've also identified a 'don't need'

Jun 7, 2006
He filled a hole in our midfield that we've been struggling with for a long time. Can't see anyone in the squad stepping into that role so we'll need to recruit. Was hoping to keep him at least to the end of the loan

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
It's disappointing news but it's not the end of the world. It's not as if we've sold Nelson, McHugh, Hartley or McCormick which really would be a cause for serious concern. But it is, however we dress it up, a disappointing blow. He's been key to our attacking play and whilst our success is mostly built on our defence, he has certainly been of great use to our attack and all round performance. He's the attacking player I'd least want to lose after Reuben so it's gutting that he's gone.

The discussion about who to replace him however, seems to be based around the premise that Bobby's role is the attacking central midfield role between midfield and the strikers. The 'in the hole' role. I personally think that premise is false as it simply isn't where Bobby's been playing for us in October. The guy who mainly played in that role as far as I saw was Dom Blizzard. He wasn't in that role as an out and out between the lines old school number 10 like Harvey was in the Swindon game but he still spent most of his time between the midfield and the strikers. People often talk about Bobby's surging runs forward and that's because he started from a deeper position- roughly parallel to where the defensive minded Cox/O'Connor were positioned. If we talk about Harvey, Banton or Alessandra fulfilling the 'Bobby role' then we'd have to talk about someone who starts from deep and ends up playing almost box to box. The Bobby role is not the number 10 role that Harvey, Alessandra or Banton have all played in- it's Blizzard imo who has played in a role most similar (although not identical) to that one.

That's why I don't think that the way we line up post-Bobby is a simple matter of 'plug and place'. His role was such a unique one (by league two standards) that it would be difficult to find someone to slot in and easily replicate it. The way I see it is we can do one of two things. We can replace the Blizzard and Bobby set up of 'bursting forward CM and half-number 10' with a different set up. A different set up which includes a secondary deep lying CM (such as perhaps Cox/Norburn just next to AOC) and a real out and out number 10 (such as Harvey, Banton, or Lewi) to replace Blizzard.

The alternative option is we could at least TRY 'plug and place' by throwing in at the deep end the only player on our books whose attributes are even remotely suitable to replicating the Bobby role of bursting forward from an initial deep position. That player is River Allen. I don't think Harvey, Banton or Lewi could start from deep the same way as Bobby can. I don't think Norburn or Cox could burst forward from deep the same way that Bobby can. I think that whilst River Allen is young and raw, he's our only other player who has that same mix of athletic legs and attacking intent who could at least put up a sporting chance of replicating that role. I like what I've seen from him so far this season too. It would certainly be a leap of faith to see him in Saturday's starting line-up.

The third option of course is we could ditch the 3-5-2 altogether- but I wouldn't like to see that one. And that's today's tactics truck over for now...

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
pafclee":3tw02x7z said:
Just home from work and seen Reid has been recalled by Bristol city.first thought that's a shame second thought pasoti doom and gloomers here we go..fact he's a good player but we were doing absolutely fine before he arrived.its not like since he's been in the team we've been scoring for fun etc..its because we've got a good defence solid midfield and a good front line were doing well and will continue to do well!!!!!
You are completely overlooking the fact that we have nobody in the current squad who can replace him, a box to box midfielder who can win the ball and then run 50 yards with it to get us up the pitch.

And before you mention them, please don't tell me about:
Tyler Harvey - not good enough yet
Banton - no way
Thomas - ditto

We are now left with 3 holding midfielders in Cox, Blizzard and Norburn who are all very similar.

They all basically sit in midfield, always behind the ball and never getting into the box, mostly passing sideways and backwards and never play a telling ball that hurts the opposition. They have neither the pace or the energy of Reid.

He has been an important part of our good form over the last 6 weeks or so and we will miss him big time.

Jul 6, 2011
The only box to box player I can think of in the squad is River Allen, maybe it's time to take a chance and give the lad an opportunity. I really don't want to see any more loans coming in unless we are absolutely desperate and I don't think we've reached that point quite yet.

Nov 20, 2011
Have Bristol City given any reason why Reid has been recalled at this particular time , ie just before an important game against a club with whom their manager has strong links ? I will be furious if Reid does not feature for City this weekend .

G

Greenskin

Richard Lester":2emjhekm said:
Have Bristol City given any reason why Reid has been recalled at this particular time , ie just before an important game against a club with whom their manager has strong links ? I will be furious if Reid does not feature for City this weekend .

Wouldn't have thought so, seeing as Cotterill had much stronger links with Cheltenham than Pompey.

Jul 3, 2013
Cobi Budge.":8g1qupd4 said:
However people want to sugar coat this, it's pretty awful news.

Without Bobby there's no movement up top whatsoever, and there's no creativity from the midfield, I worry we'll revert to hoof ball or sideways and backwards passing.

I think a lot depends on whether Reuben steps up his game or not, we need him to be the hard working beast he was at the start of the season, not the passenger he's been lately.

So Reuben scoring a goal in each of the last two league games is carrying a passenger? just saying like!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
A bitter blow to lose such a talent at such short notice for Saturday as well. I think there have been a few debates on who would replace Bobby when he eventually left so as fans we've always been gearing ourselves up for this test of our form, that said none of us expected this news to come so soon I'm sure.

Personally I can't see Tyler or Thomas stepping into the role to much effect, I'd like to think Banton could do a job in the middle, it's certainly been his best position since retuning, I can't say I've seen many positives from him on the wing, through the middle however he's shown signs of the Banton we had on loan, those performances at the tail end of last year were his best competitive performances since coming back, all of which with him sat in the hole.

Beyond Banton I'm struggling, as Brian says maybe it's worth giving River Allen a chance there, he looked pretty good earlier in the season, I've not seen enough of him to judge his technical ability but if nothing else he seems like a real trier and with very few other options maybe it's worth giving him a chance.

That said, Bobby Reid's role has been vital to the success of our team of late, it's the sort of position we can't afford to be weak in so I won't be surprised if JS goes with a proven first teamer even if they aren't exactly a natural attacking midfielder.

Big blow for us, it really is :sad:

Apr 1, 2009
Richard Lester":1zhaw0gs said:

Why should they give a reason? He's contracted to them and there was the recall option. We should be grateful to them rather than demanding reasons for BR's recall.

Oct 24, 2010
I would love to see River Allen get a run in the team now and see what he can do but, doubtless, the manager will go into the loan market again.

C

Cobi Budge.

Stiffler":2112i6nt said:
Cobi Budge.":2112i6nt said:
However people want to sugar coat this, it's pretty awful news.

Without Bobby there's no movement up top whatsoever, and there's no creativity from the midfield, I worry we'll revert to hoof ball or sideways and backwards passing.

I think a lot depends on whether Reuben steps up his game or not, we need him to be the hard working beast he was at the start of the season, not the passenger he's been lately.

So Reuben scoring a goal in each of the last two league games is carrying a passenger? just saying like!

Anyone who watched the opening games this season and the last 4 or 5 can surely see a noticeable difference.

RR needs to get back on form if we are to continue this play off push.

L

lewjam14

perfect opportunity for Louis Rooney or ryan lane why not give them a chance

C

Cobi Budge.

Just an idea:

1148318_Plymouth_Argyle.jpg