Argyle Fans' Trust Open Meeting for all fans | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle Fans' Trust Open Meeting for all fans

Feb 8, 2005
What I don't understand is if this 'Never Never' group were a group of individuals with a similar view of the freehold matter, who came together to form the group to try and persuade the board to their way of thinking, then how and why did the AFT suddenly withdraw from having contact with the board? How did they get involved? Did they take over the 'Never Never' group? Or were they being used by the group to give more importance to their way of thinking?

The AFT, in my opinion, should have kept well away from all this. They had no mandate to get involved, and it seems that individual decisions were made by members of the AFT, on behalf of the AFT, without having any authority to do so.

The AFT are now left in the invidious position of not having any contact with the Club (THEIR decision, it seems, although a decision taken by some individuals in the AFT, and not the AFT as a whole) with no way back from this position unless they backtrack and start again (and the board are willing to have dealings with them).

Not a good start for the AFT, and who would want to be involved with them now when all this has occurred and there is nothing to suggest that it wouldn't happen again in the future.

The individuals of the AFT who were in the Never Never group who made decisions on behalf of the AFT have to take a long hard look at themselves and decide whether they are made of the right stuff to again represent the PAFC supporter on the terraces, and whether the supporter on the terraces has the confidence to allow them to do so.

In order for this to happen the supporter will need to know what happened and why, and can then make an informed decision as to whether they want to support such a group in the future.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Jim, it's 'Never Again' not 'Never Never'. Known as NAG not NNG.

Feb 8, 2005
Thanks Ian, it's Monday morning, I'm not at my best.

NAG does seem more appropriate!

B

BallboyEGS1958

If what Graham Clark says is correct,that James Brent has appointed his own supporters representative to represent the fans, I would ask why he did not use a bit of common sense to stop any bitching about who he has appointed.
Ask the whole fan base who they want and have a democratic vote on it and that should keep everybody happy.
I was also at the AFT meeting and would confirm that it was not The AFT who broke off relations with the board, that decision was made by James Brent, just to put the record straight

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It was good to know from Graham Clark that the 'Never Again' group campaign has now been formally ended.
It was a campaign, no more than that, and now the decision has been taken to buy the freehold that is the end of the campaign.
It would be interesting to know who has been appointed as a supporters' representative on Plymouth City Council's Safety Advisory Group.
The club have since decided that they did not see anyone from the AFT fulfilling this role and have chosen a representative from elsewhere.
As Graham has said : -
It is for the Club to say which group the representative is from.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Graham Clark":3sa68v1k said:
The critical glare of those behind a keyboard cannot help the willingness of anyone to put their head above the parapet.

:clap:

Now I'll say it 'Never Again'.

C

Ceebs

jimsing":30svj263 said:
The AFT are now left in the invidious position of not having any contact with the Club (THEIR decision, it seems, although a decision taken by some individuals in the AFT, and not the AFT as a whole) with no way back from this position unless they backtrack and start again (and the board are willing to have dealings with them).

I'm not convinced this tells the whole story. The AFT recalled things slightly differently in a statement from their website:

On behalf of our one thousand paid up members the elected Board of the Argyle Fans’ Trust were disappointed, when at the end of last season, James Brent refused any further meetings at board level with our Chairman. We were informed that this was as a result of the AFT securing Asset of Community Value status for Home Park and Higher Home Park.

Either way it'd be beneficial if bridges could be rebuilt and hopefully steps are already being taken towards that from both sides.

Feb 8, 2005
Ceebs":65e93opz said:
jimsing":65e93opz said:

I'm not convinced this tells the whole story. The AFT recalled things slightly differently in a statement from their website:

On behalf of our one thousand paid up members the elected Board of the Argyle Fans’ Trust were disappointed, when at the end of last season, James Brent refused any further meetings at board level with our Chairman. We were informed that this was as a result of the AFT securing Asset of Community Value status for Home Park and Higher Home Park.

Either way it'd be beneficial if bridges could be rebuilt and hopefully steps are already being taken towards that from both sides.

I read that as James Brent not willing to take part in discussions himself, but that the board would still take part.

There was a statement from the AFT to the effect that THEY had called off future discussions in reaction to this action, an unnecessary and OTT reaction, in my opinion.

This now takes the AFT out of the equation, and leaves them without any way of discussing matters with the Club, on behalf of the supporters they are supposed to be representing.

We will now have to rely on the three open meetings arranged by the Club during the season, (which is actually one more than is officially required), with the Club deciding (in their interests) when & where these should be taken.

Apr 1, 2009
BallboyEGS1958":1j53kr2x said:
If what Graham Clark says is correct,that James Brent has appointed his own supporters representative to represent the fans, I would ask why he did not use a bit of common sense to stop any bitching about who he has appointed.
Ask the whole fan base who they want and have a democratic vote on it and that should keep everybody happy.
I was also at the AFT meeting and would confirm that it was not The AFT who broke off relations with the board, that decision was made by James Brent, just to put the record straight

Ask the whole fanbase,and that will keep everyone happy? I don't think so. It has become very evident over the last few weeks that certain sections of the fanbase will never agree with other factions on anything at all. Any sort of vote would only stir up further acrimony.

As I understand it, the appointed "fans representative" represents the fans views on safety issues. I trust that the individual concerned has both knowledge (of safety issues) and impartiality.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
xmastree":7uf40qw2 said:
BallboyEGS1958":7uf40qw2 said:

Ask the whole fanbase,and that will keep everyone happy? I don't think so. It has become very evident over the last few weeks that certain sections of the fanbase will never agree with other factions on anything at all. Any sort of vote would only stir up further acrimony.

As I understand it, the appointed "fans representative" represents the fans views on safety issues. I trust that the individual concerned has both knowledge (of safety issues) and impartiality.

Good post xmastree.

First paragraph explains the past

Second paragraph sets the minimum required.

Spot on.

Good evening Tony

Hope all good with you, my friend ?

I believe, and Zee Zee will support me from our long conversation 6 years ago in The Brit, that NOTHING will work at Home Park.

Call it ANY fancy name you like.

Have Superman as Chair or even Soperman as Chair [apologies Andy], nothing will change from the time ZZ and I spoke !

And why should it ?

Simply think about it.

But NOBODY seems to..........................

Keep the Faith :scarf:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
xmastree":1h0evrrm said:
BallboyEGS1958":1h0evrrm said:

Good post. Unfortunately, I have held the view for a very long time that there is only one real and credible way ahead - to trust the owner and his board to do the right thing. First the GAS Board crashed and burned and this AFT business is classic "you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" with a bit of "damned if he does and damned if he doesn't" mixed in. I have always found our current AFT Chairman to be a very decent and honourable man and I hate to see the way it has gone in the past few weeks and months. Hindsight has once again proved to be an exact science.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
TinTin":1h0ojs80 said:
Good evening Tony

Hope all good with you, my friend ?

I believe, and Zee Zee will support me from our long conversation 6 years ago in The Brit, that NOTHING will work at Home Park.

Call it ANY fancy name you like.

Have Superman as Chair or even Soperman as Chair [apologies Andy], nothing will change from the time ZZ and I spoke !

And why should it ?

Simply think about it.

But NOBODY seems to..........................

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Ah the wondrous days in the Bay Window, the UN would have been proud how the worlds, even Argyles, were solved:)