Your matchday experience v Wigan | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your matchday experience v Wigan

Your matchday experience v Wigan

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 12 24.5%

Votes: 9 18.4%

Votes: 4 8.2%

Votes: 7 14.3%

Votes: 10 20.4%

Votes: 2 4.1%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
Sep 28, 2003
We will all soon need counselling because our matchday experience has been lessened by the searches and ticket checks!! Come on guys ,give the club a break ! ,they are only trying to protect our wellbeing ,have we all turned into moaning wimps!!!

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Ah right, so an aggro merchant could ask his granny to smuggle in an AK47? Makes complete sense?

Not picking on you bud, just hate this sort of 'jobsworth wokism' in this sort of case.

Common bleeding sense that's what's needed.
Back in the day, women, on both sides of the divide in NI, used to courier weapons because they knew they were less likely to be stopped and searched. Probably the same the world over wherever there is conflict. The answer is to treat everyone the same just in case granny is couriering in a weapon.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I was pulled out of line for having spare change in my pocket entering the Mayflower whilst Wigan fans were able to get a smoke bomb into the away end. That proves to me that the searches are completely pointless.

Reactions: Chip green

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I also think a winning football team will make fans more tolerate of the off the pitch issues, whereas a defeat (and 3 defeats in a row) will give license to fans to vent and have their say.

In truth the chaos at the turnstiles has been happening all season.

Also, the pandemic has left people and society in general a little bit edgy and anxious.

May 17, 2012
Back in the day, women, on both sides of the divide in NI, used to courier weapons because they knew they were less likely to be stopped and searched. Probably the same the world over wherever there is conflict. The answer is to treat everyone the same just in case granny is couriering in a weapon.
Really. . That’s your analogy ?.get a grip

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Before COVID there used to be an ‘old boy’ walking up and down managing the line on the Lyndie. He was obviously a fan who seemed to know everyone, and he managed things really well. Once one line got too long he advised people to another. He gave clear info to people, especially people who were not season ticket holders.

That said, the bigger issue as several posters have highlighted, is what happens with security once you get to the turnstile. The stewarding company have not got it right yet, which given how many home games we have had amazes me.
I think his name is Ray,and yes, he was good at organizing/advising the queues on a regular basis along the lyndy side,even joining in with good banter,i see he sits in the lyndy now,maybe retired or replaced with others that do not do their job as good as he did.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Really. . That’s your analogy ?.get a grip
Why? It’s obvious. If you are a wrong ‘un and you want to take contraband into a location but don’t fancy being caught yourself, you will try all sorts to do it including sticking it in Granny’s handbag, Junior’s backpack, or your mate’s pocket while they aren’t looking.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
I think the fact that Christian takes the time to post on here should give him some slack when he uses buzz phrases.

Let's face it 'whacking great square hole which allows people to ingress and exit' is a bit more of a mouthful than vomitory isn't it? ;)
Yes, these Tories make me sick! :giggle:

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
I think his name is Ray,and yes, he was good at organizing/advising the queues on a regular basis along the lyndy side,even joining in with good banter,i see he sits in the lyndy now,maybe retired or replaced with others that do not do their job as good as he did.
Get him back, or some other old boys or gals who sit in the lyndy, who know how to make people welcome and 'sheepdog' them to the right place.

Jan 6, 2004
We will all soon need counselling because our matchday experience has been lessened by the searches and ticket checks!! Come on guys ,give the club a break ! ,they are only trying to protect our wellbeing ,have we all turned into moaning wimps!!!
The club surely welcomes feedback like this. Yes hard core fans will put up with pretty much anything but marginal supporters will be influenced by the quality of the experience. Better experience, more paying customers.

The biggest disappointments to me though are that we had a “sell out” in a newly refurbished stadium with over 3,000 unsold seats and encouraging the rowdies to stand in zoo corner rather than the Devonport, which makes scuffles like Saturday far more likely

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Why? It’s obvious. If you are a wrong ‘un and you want to take contraband into a location but don’t fancy being caught yourself, you will try all sorts to do it including sticking it in Granny’s handbag, Junior’s backpack, or your mate’s pocket while they aren’t looking.
I think you're over thinking it mate, I really do.

Reactions: Chip green

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I was pulled out of line for having spare change in my pocket entering the Mayflower whilst Wigan fans were able to get a smoke bomb into the away end. That proves to me that the searches are completely pointless.
It doesn't. It proves that they were effective in checking what you and the many others who were searched carried into the stadium but ineffective in preventing at least one person from taking a smoke bomb in. The searches might have stopped all manner of weapons getting into the ground (I don't suppose they did but they could have done) so they were not pointless at all. Also, there is the deterrent factor. I people know that there are significant checks likely to be made prior to entry to the ground then they are much less likely to try to take weapons in at all. So the checks are not just protecting us all on the specific occasion they are made but they are also helping to make Home Park a safer venue to go to more generally (at all times).

As far as I can tell the checks cannot even be looking for smoke bombs which are very small so will not be picked up by pat-down searches and will have no (metal) signature that a wand scanner will pick up. It must surely be VERY easy to take a smoke bomb into a ground - anyone with an ounce of imagination could do that - and it is unreasonable to think that searches might pick them up.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I hate being 'wanded' but I particularly hate how inconsistent the process is.

I've been to all bar one home game so far this season and at gate 9, haven't been 'wanded' at every match, or a bloke has wafted it half heartedly in my general direction and not once has anything beeped for keys, money or mobile. A few weeks back, I walked in with my coat over my arm and had the magic wand waved over me, but not my coat!

I understand the reasons for enhanced security, and accept the inevitable extra entry time required, but if it's not being conducted properly (and I'm sure SIA are charging the club a premium for this 'service') what's the point?
Surely the idea isn't to check every single person to detect every single possible issue - the threat level doesn't justify that. Surely the idea is to set a pattern whereby people attending the ground know that anyone (and everyone) COULD be checked and thereby minimize the chance that anyone would try to carry some kind of weapon into the ground. To accomplish this there has to be a lot of searching so that it's always possible any individual could be searched but it's not necessary to rigorously search everyone and everything (as is done at airports). I think the point really is whether the balance is right at the moment. I'm not sure that every person in a line needs to be checked - some kind of random sampling could be used. But then, imagine the scenario where someone does take a knife into the ground and attacks people - then everyone would be howling that there were not enough checks being made and the security company/club would probably end up being hauled through the courts or insurance claims for failing to ensure customer safety. So really, the club and the security company can't win can they?

As far as searching old people, kids etc. is concerned, it's pretty obvious that if you WERE trying to get weapons into the ground you'd give them to someone less likely to LOOK like the kind of person who might carry a weapon. That's certainly what I would do. Mind you someone once did say that I would make a very dangerous criminal...

Reactions: saxman and Andy70

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
As far as I can tell the checks cannot even be looking for smoke bombs which are very small so will not be picked up by pat-down searches and will have no (metal) signature that a wand scanner will pick up. It must surely be VERY easy to take a smoke bomb into a ground - anyone with an ounce of imagination could do that - and it is unreasonable to think that searches might pick them up.

If my asthma pump (smaller then a smoke bomb) can be picked up from a pat down, then a smoke bomb can