Votes: 9 18.4%

Votes: 4 8.2%

Votes: 7 14.3%

Votes: 10 20.4%

Votes: 2 4.1%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
May 17, 2012
It doesn't. It proves that they were effective in checking what you and the many others who were searched carried into the stadium but ineffective in preventing at least one person from taking a smoke bomb in. The searches might have stopped all manner of weapons getting into the ground (I don't suppose they did but they could have done) so they were not pointless at all. Also, there is the deterrent factor. I people know that there are significant checks likely to be made prior to entry to the ground then they are much less likely to try to take weapons in at all. So the checks are not just protecting us all on the specific occasion they are made but they are also helping to make Home Park a safer venue to go to more generally (at all times).

As far as I can tell the checks cannot even be looking for smoke bombs which are very small so will not be picked up by pat-down searches and will have no (metal) signature that a wand scanner will pick up. It must surely be VERY easy to take a smoke bomb into a ground - anyone with an ounce of imagination could do that - and it is unreasonable to think that searches might pick them up.
Safer from what ?

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I got to HP quite early at about 1.30 and used the turnstiles behind the Grandstand.The stewards were all very friendly,I was zapped by the wand which beeped on two occasions.I said this was due to my keys which was true,but the steward did not check that this was correct.So what is the point of the wand ?
Did you not ask them?

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Safer from what ?
Safer from the possible deployment of 'weapons' within the stadium obviously - or at least safer than you would expect a similar stadium/venue to be if no checks were carried out at all.

I'm not trying to argue that the checks are a great thing or even that they are necessary. I'm just trying to be logical about things. In the case of that particular response I was pointing out that the failure of checks to pick up one smoke bomb doesn't logically mean that all such checks are pointless and also that part of the reason for having visible checks is surely to make it less likely for anyone to even try to take 'weapons' into the ground because they know that there is a decent chance that they will be checked on entry (i.e. it's a deterrent).

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
I think Argyle probably need to abandon the idea of turning the music off before kick off. It was good to give it a go but in reality fans understandably won’t be creating a big pre match atmosphere for a run of the mill league game. Instead it means there is just the hum of thousands of people talking like being at a Test match. Worth still trying in future for genuinely big/exciting matches though like a play off semi or a cup game against one of the big Premier League teams etc.
That’s cos the singers are all stuck in queues outside 😂

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
That’s cos the singers are all stuck in queues outside 😂
The hum of thousands of people talking to each other IS the pre match atmosphere. Masking that by playing massively loud music over it doesn't 'create' anything. It just hides it and means that thousands of people can't talk to each other about the team, the opposition or their hopes/expectations of the game. I can look forward to a game without screaming like a banshee on helium.

Where does it say that the atmosphere has to be at maximum excitement just before and after kick off? Some of us older ones like things to start quiet and build. Kick off and drive at the opposition, threatening to score, and you'll find that match atmosphere and support creates itself and it is 'real' not artificial hype.

And, when we win, I want the players to hear me (us) not Neil 'Rough' Diamond!

Just my opinion, ho hum (of thousands).

Sep 3, 2011
Arrived at 2.30pm but didn't get to see kick off. A consequence of which was I had no idea what the 18 minute applause was for so didn't partake. Almost zero stewarding before kick off. Infact I didn't even get zapped by the wand. Steward just said "I'm sure your okay go on through " 😅. I'll bring in my hip flask next time. Biggest disappointment was I couldn't even buy a 50:50 ticket, but
then again do they accept contactless? Club has come on a long way but still massive improvement required

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2006
I think the fact that Christian takes the time to post on here should give him some slack when he uses buzz phrases.

Let's face it 'whacking great square hole which allows people to ingress and exit' is a bit more of a mouthful than vomitory isn't it? ;)
Fair enough, but none of it makes any sense!

Reactions: Chip green
Aug 23, 2006
Home Park
I gone to every home game this season in the lower mayflower and tbh not had an issue with the searches or the ques I get there around 240pm and I'm sat down by 250pm, I also appreciate Argyle coming on here to address the fans. However that's only my personal experience I can understand people frustration.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
5/10 for me.

The queues for turnstiles 9-12 were ridiculous prior to kick off. We were in the family stand with two young kids, and it was no fun waiting for a good 20 minutes to get in. We were lucky to make kick off in the end.

Likewise the club shop was utter chaos. The queue for the tills stretched right the way through the centre of the shop which meant it was impossible to cut across and see the other half of the shop without budging past people in the queue. Again, with a party of four this was a bit of a nightmare.

Finally - and my biggest gripe of the day - why do Argyle let groups of fans into the family enclosure without kids? We had a drunken oaf in front of us effing and blinding for the entire game and there were kids in front, behind and to the side of him. With two kids aged 5 and 7 this was far from ideal for us, and I exchanged looks with several anguished parents when this buffoon repeatedly stood up shouting and swearing the whole time.

I don't hope for, nor expect, a completely sterile kid-friendly atmosphere but surely it makes sense to limit the number of people in this section without children to try to negate this a little? There were plenty of other seats available in blocks not intended for children.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
5/10 for me.

The queues for turnstiles 9-12 were ridiculous prior to kick off. We were in the family stand with two young kids, and it was no fun waiting for a good 20 minutes to get in. We were lucky to make kick off in the end.

Likewise the club shop was utter chaos. The queue for the tills stretched right the way through the centre of the shop which meant it was impossible to cut across and see the other half of the shop without budging past people in the queue. Again, with a party of four this was a bit of a nightmare.

Finally - and my biggest gripe of the day - why do Argyle let groups of fans into the family enclosure without kids? We had a drunken oaf in front of us effing and blinding for the entire game and there were kids in front, behind and to the side of him. With two kids aged 5 and 7 this was far from ideal for us, and I exchanged looks with several anguished parents when this buffoon repeatedly stood up shouting and swearing the whole time.

I don't hope for, nor expect, a completely sterile kid-friendly atmosphere but surely it makes sense to limit the number of people in this section without children to try to negate this a little? There were plenty of other seats available in blocks not intended for children.
I think if you report them they will be moved. We are in block 5 so next to you, and there was one like this in one of the early matches. Not sure he was swearing (or at least i did not hear any) but was clearly drunk. Someone one must have reported him as he was asked to leave.