Your Matchday Experience v Peterborough | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your Matchday Experience v Peterborough

Your matchday experience v Peterborough

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.8%

Votes: 5 8.9%

Votes: 17 30.4%

Votes: 22 39.3%

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters
Sep 22, 2020
i am moaning about the length of queues but i do agree that the stewarts are a real step up from previous years and are genuinely helpful and polite.

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
I tell you what people, I come to HP, sit around in utter amazement as to how lovely Home Park now is, look at the litter team picking up litter before and after matches, see the people with their flags which say 'We're here to help you' I see steward helping disabled people in such a lovely manner, I also see the Chairman walking around talking to anyone that wants to talk to him.

Reading some of the above you think we were Bristol Rovers fans!!!
Absolutely 99% of the fan experience is so much better than I can ever remember and I feel the same as you. That shouldn't detract from the few serious unintended issues that might arise to impact fans comfort and safety. Queues for pints etc is an inconvenience only, and i recognise it's a massive challenge to serve everyone in 15 mins with the demand and in the confined space, and that's always been the case. Probably exacerbated by the extra demand for fluids on Saturday. I happily choose not to move out of my seat at half time because I don't want to queue, and arrive early for the same reason.

Being in a stadium with a lot of people has it's logistical challenges and compromises. But safety can't be compromised. You provide this matchday thread as a service, to give a voice to concerns. Whether they are reasonable or not the Club can determine. My one concern isn't a moan in the slightest, it's what I perceive as a potential safety issue and wanted to bring to the Clubs attention. Nothing else bothers me in the slightest and I love the match day. coyg

Last edited:
May 8, 2011
I do share the concern. For the majority of the stadium entry and exit is very good. But blocks 6 to 9 are the exception. They take a long time to clear, much longer than anywhere else in the stadium, and the steps down get very compacted and crowded, a fair number of elderly and kids, it would only take one person to lose their balance and we've got a serious incident on our hands. Just for context, I used to be a H&S officer and maybe I see things from that perspective more accutely. I haven't been on this forum very long so first opportunity to raise it here really, and it's good to have this facility to feedback to the Club. Good job. (y)

I do feel it's an accident waiting to happen, particularly now as we're approaching full capacity at many home games. I've almost stumbled plenty of times with the shuffling and jostling of a tightly packed crowd struggling to move forwards. I'm near the top and by the time I'm half way down, practically all the other blocks are already clear. I'd be surprised if a safety risk assessment didn't pick it up, if not done yet, could one be done? Opening the main exit barrier at block 5 for 10 mins max. after the final whistle, would aleviate the bottleneck straight away. There might be unknown issues for the Club in doing that? but it could be a practical solution, if it can be done (trialed)?
Also if the stewards directed people to leave by their nearest exits so you don’t have people walking from blocks 14,15 and 16 the entire length of the Lyndhurst.
This was so noticeable on Saturday when the board for additional time went up.

Reactions: Jannerz
May 8, 2011
I tell you what people, I come to HP, sit around in utter amazement as to how lovely Home Park now is, look at the litter team picking up litter before and after matches, see the people with their flags which say 'We're here to help you' I see steward helping disabled people in such a lovely manner, I also see the Chairman walking around talking to anyone that wants to talk to him.

Perhaps you could sit in the Lyndhurst for a couple of matches and then do a compare and contrast of the two match day experiences.

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Also if the stewards directed people to leave by their nearest exits so you don’t have people walking from blocks 14,15 and 16 the entire length of the Lyndhurst.
This was so noticeable on Saturday when the board for additional time went up.
That's an interesting observation. It might have some impact.

Feb 13, 2021
Bar under upper Mayflower East is beyond a joke! So amateur, disorganised, small, hot and many other things except effecient!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps you could sit in the Lyndhurst for a couple of matches and then do a compare and contrast of the two match day experiences.
Never liked the new Lyndy Clive, but it's a typical football ground (when in) for my taste I'm afraid. Now the old Lyndy was far far better, but I'm sure people would have complained about the language, leaking roof (well most of it leaked then) or cold Bovril.

It's the modern way it seems.

Luckily us legacy fans take it in our stride.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
That's an interesting observation. It might have some impact.
Not might, it would - definitely. It is THE issue. People stream out of the higher-numbered blocks (13+) of the Lyndhurst side going down the steps and then along the front of the pitch until at least the halfway line (so at least as far as Block 12) in preference for exiting into the concourse at the first opportunity and going directly out of the ground. This creates a huge bottle-neck in the lower-numbered half of the stand (from the western end of Block 13 downwards) as so many people are trying to exit in one corner of the ground.

It's easily solved by placing stewards/temporary barrier on the western side of each entry/exit point both pitchside, in the concourse (because if all they do is walk all the way down through the concourse you just get the same problem in a different place) AND at the top of the stairs that run down from the midpoint of the stand to the path in the park that runs down to Barn Park (same reason). That would spread the flow of people across all of the exit routes and allow everyone to 'drain' out of the ground more quickly. Obviously it would also mean that people leaving would not be able to experience the players lap of the pitch as they were leaving but on the positive side it might cut-down on people leaving early (which really is getting a bit ridiculous these days) and would certainly limit the impact this has on everyone else who is trying to focus on watching the game. However, it does rely on there being enough stewards to enforce the flow pattern.

Reactions: Andy70 and Jannerz

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Not might, it would - definitely. It is THE issue. People stream out of the higher-numbered blocks (13+) of the Lyndhurst side going down the steps and then along the front of the pitch until at least the halfway line (so at least as far as Block 12) in preference for exiting into the concourse at the first opportunity and going directly out of the ground. This creates a huge bottle-neck in the lower-numbered half of the stand (from the western end of Block 13 downwards) as so many people are trying to exit in one corner of the ground.

It's easily solved by placing stewards/temporary barrier on the western side of each entry/exit point both pitchside, in the concourse (because if all they do is walk all the way down through the concourse you just get the same problem in a different place) AND at the top of the stairs that run down from the midpoint of the stand to the path in the park that runs down to Barn Park (same reason). That would spread the flow of people across all of the exit routes and allow everyone to 'drain' out of the ground more quickly. Obviously it would also mean that people leaving would not be able to experience the players lap of the pitch as they were leaving but on the positive side it might cut-down on people leaving early (which really is getting a bit ridiculous these days) and would certainly limit the impact this has on everyone else who is trying to focus on watching the game. However, it does rely on there being enough stewards to enforce the flow pattern.
Very good observation that Doc. It brings to mind the game at Stamford Bridge, where the crowd flow was carefully controlled in and out. At the moment here, as you describe well, it's a free for all.

I still maintain though, that blocks 6-9 only having one available exit route at block 8, it is a significant and unique situation in the stadium (for as long as the main exit is barrier-ed off). It's easier to visualise on the ticket site plan. I'm pretty steady on my feet, but standing stationary on the steps down for any length of time, it does make even me feel a bit aware that a nudge could send me off balance easily, and has now and then.

The Demport and all the blocks from 10 up in the Lyndy have a ratio of one exit to 2 blocks, and we have one exit to 3.5 blocks? (with the far side of block 9 able to access the block 10 exit). From block 9 looking left I usually see all the higher numbered blocks are cleared of fans about twice as quickly. That's my observation at every single game. Maybe the Club can look at both.

Last edited:

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Very good observation that Doc. It brings to mind the game at Stamford Bridge, where the crowd flow was carefully controlled in and out.
Blimey - I thought the flow of people into and out of The Shed End at Stamford Bridge was absolutely appalling (especially the outflow). Far worse than at Home Park.
!?

Reactions: saxman

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Blimey - I thought the flow of people into and out of The Shed End at Stamford Bridge was absolutely appalling (especially the outflow). Far worse than at Home Park.
!?
Just shows, perceptions eh? Glad we all agreed (I think?) Argyle played well on Saturday or it could have got messy :LOL:

and btw, I'm not raising the concern to be more right than anyone else, or have all the answers. I don't care, and will listen to everyones experience and find it equally valid. I only care about us all being as safe as is practically possible and just enjoying the match day. coyg

Last edited:
Reactions: The Doctor
Jul 12, 2016
Is there any evidence that bottle tops off soft drinks have ever caused an injury when thrown or is it just a precaution to not allow them inside the stadium. Surely throwing coins , if you are that way inclined, would be far more dangerous. It was great to be able to bring in bottles on Saturday and is there any reason this shouldn’t continue?

Dec 3, 2005

WOW this thread is for people to express THEIR match day experience and it appears that is what people are doing.
If you don't wish to hear peoples match day experience, from various parts of the ground, then maybe not bother having this thread.
It sounds to me that different parts of the ground have different experiences, some good, some not so good.
Nothing wrong with constructive comments.

Reactions: Andy B.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It certainly is.

My opinion counts as well though, and my opinion is that there's enough people who want to moan, but it's not the norm to praise what the club are doing. Perhaps balance can be restored if the people that are pleased with what is happening also chip in.

Reactions: Andy B.