Your favourite humour during a match | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your favourite humour during a match

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Towards the end of his career when his 'legs' had gone a bit, I remember the ball was lofted up to Mickey Evans and a cad behind me shouted 'rise like a salmon, Mickey'. Needless to say he didn't. My son, quite young at the time and now 29 remembers it with equal fondness for a moment of perfect wit.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
I remember one guy against Dagenham & Redbridge in 2012 flying over the rails in the mayflower in an attempt to catch or head the ball as it was flying in his direction. I remember the whole stadium being amused and it being the only real highlight in what was a poor game of football.

Graham Green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
May 26, 2010
Swindon
Away to Walsall early eighties I believe. It was an early season evening match and as usual they weren't expecting the Green Army turnout.
Big queue and 1 turnstile. Along the line rode one of West Midlands finest trying to keep order. As the kick off approached he was getting more and more stick to get the queue moving and getting as irritated as the waiting fans, shouting at us to keep it down etc.
As he rode passed during a brief lull in the noise a janner voice rang out:
"Ere mate, don't you get fed up whith these w&*nkers getting on your back?"
He shouted back in a broad west midlands accent "I do actually!"
Back came the Janner "I was talking to the horse!"
Dunno if it was original but was the first time I'd heard it and the whole queue cracked up.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Favourite Humorous chant

One Forbes Phillipson Masters , Theres only one Forbes Phillipson Masters etc etc

Followed by Change you name change your name change your name.

For in game player humour it has to be Alan Nicholls ( sadly missed) I managed to sit in the home end for an away game at Burnley ( nil nil Tuesday night) and when a shot whistled past the post he came to fetch the ball, and held his arms wide apart to show how far it had missed by....they went ballistic...so he kept doing it :)

At Brighton , we were awarded a free kick and he nicked about ten yards....ref came back, moved the ball to the right spot and turned to run up field...Nicholls tossed the ball even further than he'd nicked before and by the time the ref turned round to see what the fans were baying about he had sent it upfield....the boy was a class wind up merchant.

As for Friio and Gillingham at Priestfield, one of my twins saw her first Argyle game there and when he ballooned the ball out attempting a forty yarder someone shouted "What the F was that Friio". Later he repeated the same pass with the same effect and my blonde five year old moppet said very clearly "What the F was that Friio?" The woman next at her stared open mouthed at this foul mouthed poppet who sweetly offered her bag of sweets and said "Would you like a jelly baby?"

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
There was a particularly dire game we were losing many years ago and there was a hold up for an injury to an opposition player. Out of the subdued crowd bellowed a voice - "Don't just stand there Argyle! Introduce your F***ing selves to each other!" :lol:

Wittiest chant was when we played Southampton in the days Harry Redknapp was manager and the loathsome Rupert Lowe was their chairman. The week before Lowe had hired the England Rugby coach (the one who had just won the RU world cup) as 'consultant' to Redknapp (much to his obvious disgust). So to the tune of 'sweet chariot' came the chant...."Swing Lowe, Swing Rupert Lowe - Swing him from the Tamar bridge" :clap: ...... The Saints fans happily joined in.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Just remembered when we played Everton in the FA cup in a live evening match on the beeb when we were in the championship. I thought I would miss the game but then found I could go but could only get a ticket in row B of the Lyndy by then. Sat in front of me were three tanked-up middle aged blokes who clearly rarely went to games but were very, very funny - great characters who had all around us in stitches. Every time the ball came near us they were frantically waving for the cameras and one was on the phone to his misses yelling "Can you see us? Can you see us Luv ?" This went on thru' the game until a player was stood right by us waiting to take a throw-in....... then we heard him shout "NO YOU SILLY COW....NOT SKY.....F***ING BBC1!!! " :lol:

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
A couple seasons back at home to Bristol Rovers, their fans were kicking off big time, a young woman a couple of rows behind me, shouted out, " I bloody hate the Welsh"

May 16, 2016
2011, our first Home game against the reformed AFC Wimbledon in their first Season back in L2. They started singing "9 Years, its only taken......" , one rather witty Guy in the Lyndhurst relied "9 Years ? It's taken us 125 to be this Sh8te" .

Made me laugh.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
I remember the Jack Russell incident - 1985/86 I think.

One of my favourites was a pre-season friendly at Bristol Rovers. The announcer obviously had a well-worn welcome for the visiting fans and momentarily forgot where we were from. He said, ‘We welcome the visiting fans to the Westcountry..............................................................well, a different part of the Westcountry, anyway.’

The bloke behind me shouted, ‘Westcountry?! This is the peeing Midlands to us pal!'

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
RKB":3kentwuz said:
Scunthorpe away in our bottom tier title winning season.

The chant "2 Lee Hodges. There's only 2 Lee Hodges".

Theirs promptly scored a brace and ended our 19 match unbeaten run.
I remember that one. Drove across the Pennines from my in-laws and it was snowing in Scunny when we arrived.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
The details are a bit vague - i just remember a truly dire game at Underhill, must be 20 years ago.

We had a lad in midfield who made a handful of appearences (Perkins possibly) - he was hopeless, ran around like a headless chicken, didn't win a tackle, passed it straight into touch 4-5 times, early in the second half, a mis-timed tackle by him was greeted by the next to me screaming "Off off off" at the referee - it perfectly summed up how i was feeling at the time. We were so bad, that just for entertainment we didn't mind if one of our players were sent off.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Mine goes back to my very first game. It was February 1958 in a home game against Northampton. I was just 10 and although at the time I didn't understand, the call from elsewhere on the sleepers stuck in my head. This guy is imploring winger Peter Anderson to run faster/close down . "He shouts: "Open your legs Anderson. You won't drop anything". Years later I interviewed Peter at his home in Compton. I mentioned that this had stuck in my mind. Peter smiled:" Your lucky you heard it just that once. He was a regular on the Popular side."

D

Darren Stoneman

In my early days as a supporter I used to stand in the spion kip with my mates from school and the late great Lisa and Harry Thorne

There was an old chap who every time the linesman was near by would shout akin to Graham Taylor and Phil Neal

“Linesman linesman what have you been told , I’m watching you linesman”

Lasted for about 3 seasons

Good old days

Feb 27, 2010
Cardiff physio running on , she was a big lass, and even the Cardiff supporters singing "Oh Fat B-----D", she seemed used to waving to the crowd !!