Your favourite humour during a match | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your favourite humour during a match

Aug 14, 2014
Mods please approve publication.

I have heard and forgotten much in the way of cutting humour, sarcasm and unsavoury comments over the years, but one always comes to mind when Sheffield Wednesday is mentioned.

I was at the 1982 Boxing Day 2nd level, Barnsley v Sheffield Wednesday match, standing close to halfway with Barnsley supporters. Wednesday were awarded a throw in and Mel Sterland came to take it. A Barnsley supporter called out "Sterland you're a warthog" and raised quite a few chuckles, for me the highlight of the 0-0 uninspiring match.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
April 2007 Burnley 4 Argyle 0

Burnley hadn't won for 18 matches. Inevitably Argyle were shocking.

Ebanks-Blake stepped up to take a consolation penalty & inevitably missed.

By this time a mate of mine was apoplectic with rage & shouted at Ebanks-Blake as he traipsed past us...

'MY GRAN CAN TAKE A BETTER PENALTY....& SHE'S BEEN DEAD 10 YEARS'

The Argyle players sat in front of us who weren't playing were in hysterics, I don't think Sylvain saw the funny side !

May 8, 2015
At Highbury a good few years ago heard

"Wasn't that a great run by Merson" to which a reply was "Yeah, maybe, a shame the ball was nowhere near him"

on another occasion

"Not from there Merson!" - subsequently, Bang - GOAL!

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
This one goes back to the 80s and was probably one of my first games against Derby. Their goalie was Mark Wallington and at some point when he was in front of Demport end someone shouted... 'hey, Wally... what's ya missus doing while you're down here?' to which he just put his arms out and shrugged his shoulders.

Edited to add (thanks to GOS) that it was 13 December 1986, a 1-1 draw in front of 15k. Sir Tommy of Tynan scored our goal.

Jul 3, 2013
In our championship days we played Palace and after one of their "Eagles Eagles Eagles" chant a shed load of seagulls flew about the ground to which the green army respoded with "Seagulls Seagulls Seagulls" it might have been that game when Chadwick scored after just 11 seconds.

May 16, 2016
Not quite humorous but always made me smile, when the Away Fans would sing the 'Ambrosia' song from the advert to take the mickey, only for the Devonport to start singing it back louder and for longer .

I honestly can't remember if it was mid 90s or 20s .

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
The funniest incident I can remember seeing was a 3rd round FA Cup Match at Craven Cottage between Fulham and Macclesfield, who were a then Non-League Team who had advanced to that elevated round. I was working in London at the time and I think it was January 1968. Alan Clarke was playing for Fulham and had a field day. Fulham were leading by 3/4 goals but the Macclesfield No.9 called Tiler scored a very decent goal. I was sat in the then main grandstand above the trainers' dug outs. Tiler was a classic 'showman' in his team and having scored he ran towards the away support end but then ran in front of his own team's dug out, shouting, punching the air with both his fists. These were the days before physios and trainers ran with a cold sponge to ease every injury. The bucket of cold water stood by the away dug out and the trainer, peed off by his player's antics stood up and threw the water all over Tiler, much to the amusement of the crowd in the stand. It certainly cooled the striker's celebrations.