worst player to put on a Argyle shirt | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

worst player to put on a Argyle shirt

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Steve Evans":bn6jxaqx said:
simon walton without a doubt.he had appalling fitness levels and was vastly overrated by many in my opinion. he has confirmed this by the current position of hartlepool united and i heard the other day that he is now injured.what a joke.
Not just me then.

Surely not our worst though.

What about Mpenza?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Cerbera":3eaif128 said:
Steve Evans":3eaif128 said:
simon walton without a doubt.he had appalling fitness levels and was vastly overrated by many in my opinion. he has confirmed this by the current position of hartlepool united and i heard the other day that he is now injured.what a joke.
Not just me then.

Surely not our worst though.

What about Mpenza?
i have chosen walton because of his arrogance and couldn't care less attitude which he is now demonstrating at hartlepool.how on earth luggy gave him a 4 year deal is beyond my understanding

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Is that how you rate other entertainment then?

"Not a bad film, but having researched the salary structure of the production, I'm inclined to mark this one down somewhat"

Aug 22, 2006
Fergy":2xa047uc said:
I thought Folly was rather crap, Timar post-injury was pretty woeful also.

I'd say there are at least 100 players that have been worse than Folly, maybe more. In fact if you read my post in the Adbou thread you will find that he had to retire earlier this year due to a very serious lung issue, that actually explains why Sturrock and various other managers were baffled in the past as to why he struggled with fitness, stamina and his breathing.
If he didn't have this serious issue i'd bet that he would have comfortably been a decent championship player.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Shame this isn't a "worst idiot to support the club" thread because Steve Evans and Centre Circle would be vying for the top 2 spot. Walton an arrogant layabout who made no effort to run around the pitch ?, firstly i'm sure you wouldn't call him arrogant to his face because your just a keyboard warrior, secondly our midfield has looked noticably weaker this season without him, I know if I had a choice of Walts, Young or Hourihane I know who would be in my starting 11. As for Maclean, given how he was treated by the manager that signed him, and a large percentage of the fanbase it's no wonder he had a poor attitude. Several players were treated poorly by both the management and a section of the "support" and it clearly affected their performance, just look at the way Luke Summerfield was slagged off week in, week out on here. Some people clearly have no notion of what being a "support"er actually is, just sit their and slag people off behind their user names, pathetic really.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Gary_Wills":2c2rav2d said:
Is that how you rate other entertainment then?

"Not a bad film, but having researched the salary structure of the production, I'm inclined to mark this one down somewhat"

Okay, not the worst player we've ever had, but the expectation we had of him was incredibly high - the 10k salary and the fact that he'd been scoring goals in the Premier League the previous season. I can't think of any other player that has fallen so far short of expectations for Argyle.

I never saw Peter Swan play, but I'm guessing that the fact he was our record signing meant expectations of him were very high, and that when he flopped it seemed like he was even worse because we expected him to be good?

May 22, 2006
Peter Swan's awfulness transcended money, the very concept of value and even the basis of mathematics.

He really was that bad and judging by his attitude, probably deliberately so.

Aug 22, 2006
Argyle-sy":db1vmufn said:
Shame this isn't a "worst idiot to support the club" thread because Steve Evans and Centre Circle would be vying for the top 2 spot. Walton an arrogant layabout who made no effort to run around the pitch ?, firstly i'm sure you wouldn't call him arrogant to his face because your just a keyboard warrior, secondly our midfield has looked noticably weaker this season without him, I know if I had a choice of Walts, Young or Hourihane I know who would be in my starting 11. As for Maclean, given how he was treated by the manager that signed him, and a large percentage of the fanbase it's no wonder he had a poor attitude. Several players were treated poorly by both the management and a section of the "support" and it clearly affected their performance, just look at the way Luke Summerfield was slagged off week in, week out on here. Some people clearly have no notion of what being a "support"er actually is, just sit their and slag people off behind their user names, pathetic really.

I sort of agree with you with regards to Walton (of course he tried), although i'd say he was a tad overrated by his supporters and underrated by a lot of his haters. I wouldn't say he was arrogant judging from people that have met him, however you only have to look at the Hartlepool noticeboard, a team that are bottom, to find out that their fans don't exactly rate him and highlight his mobility as a big problem. So it wasn't just a lot of our fanbase that saw this as a problem. Shame really for him.

MacLean - well again another player that left Argyle and achieved very little. You have actually stated on about 5/6 occasions about him being treated poorly by luggy and the fans, in fact you mention several players which I find odd. So Luggy just treated them like dirt for no reason? I find that hard to believe, here's a bloke that actually would take anyone on (look at Southend and some of the difficult players he has taken) and give them a chance. Maybe he was too harsh on MacLean, or Walton or Seip (Mariner/Reid didn't exactly get the best out of him so can't be just 1 manager) or Puncheon (I doubt he was harsh on him, as the player himself admits he was an absolute nuisance in the past.)
Actually in some respects these players let their manager down in one way or another, especially as 2 of them were signed as first choice targets and 1 was given a contract extension (unless that was down to someone else.)

Summerfield - again some supporters loved to big him up, and then some loved to pick on him, in reality he was ok and didn't warrant the abuse he got, nor did he warrant the unbelievable amount of praise (obviously this is sometimes a reaction by friends and family to supporters who unfairly had a go at him.) In reality we didn't see the best of him here at his level in league 1, and obviously didn't fancy it here in league 2 which is a shame as he could have finally shown a lot of fans how good at this level he was. All in all the case of him being a fairly solid player is proven because he is playing League 1 football.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
cheshiregreen":277vswgt said:
Is it June already?

That's when these threads usually appear.

There are some strange nominations on here iny view. Surely any player who played for us when we were in the sevond tier of English football cannot be the worst can they?
I agree, that's why I'm reluctant to nominate anyone who was merely crap for us in the second tier. For all we know, they may have been quite decent in the fourth tier or even the third.

For what its worth:

Rory Patterson, Ladji Soukouana, Luke Daley, and as much as it does pain me to say it as he is a real trier, Nick Chadwick (2nd time around(.

Dec 19, 2008
This guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Malcolm
Stuart Malcolm

An early Luggy signing and was a centre half (allegedly). He played three games and I think he touched the ball about the same amount of times - all of his 'clearances' ended up in the top rows of the Lyndhurst.

You can tell people who haven't seen that many actual Argyle sides over the years when threads like this appear. Emile Mpenza?! Belgian international?! Last player to score a hattrick for us is also mentioned. The OP even mentions Robbie Turner - he was a decent enough target man and ended up becoming a half decent centre half near the end of his career - our current target man (the injury prone Griffiths) is a lot worse than Robbie Turner ever was.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Argyle-sy":39m46d54 said:
my user name is my real name and i would have no problem telling mr. walton he is an arrogant layabout to his face. when he wants to come to my door i will happily tell him!