worst player to put on a Argyle shirt | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

worst player to put on a Argyle shirt

C

Cult Of Personality

Current Crop

To many to mention

All time

Danny Bance

Think he played 45mins and that was that

G

Greenskin

GM Vauxhall":2714mf18 said:
John Cooper":2714mf18 said:
GM Vauxhall":2714mf18 said:
Tivvygreen":2714mf18 said:
Stewart Evans

Now there was an arse player!

Knew where the onion bag was though, didn't he make double figures one year? Always remember the pair he scored against man city, the volley for his second to Win the match.... he would score in this team.....

Can't disagree with that. I thought he was rubbish by the standards of the time (Man City game notwithstanding). By today's standards he's a veritable Geoff Hurst...

Stewart Evans actually had a pretty successful career,played in a lot of promotion winning sides for teams with diverse styles-rather underrated,i would certainly not put him in any worst player ever category.Mind you,there was a story going round at the time that the Ciderman had a choice between Evans and Steve Bull and chose the former-mmm,if that was so then you'd have to say that Smithy got that one wrong.

P

Paul_Roberts

Peter Swan was an arse, but he came third in the player-of-the-year vote for the one season he was with us. Amazing achievement for someone who celebrated a goal by standing in the centre circle and making a 'f*** you' gesture to the fans, before publicly admitting he hated Plymouth, the club and his team-mates, stated he only signed for the money, and wanted his own team relegated.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Mac Rickard":3dsglhi8 said:
Luke Young? Nick Chadwick? Simon Walton? McNamee? Stack - Personal opinions
McNamee was good I thought but injury ruined him.....

and if stack thought we were a pub team then he might want to come here now :lol:

G

Greens12

Steve.PAFC2012":29qlhjoo said:
Mac Rickard":29qlhjoo said:

and if stack thought we were a pub team then he might want to come here now :lol:

Suprised he hasn't came back yet! :lol:

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Mac Rickard":1imi8smp said:
Steve.PAFC2012":1imi8smp said:
Mac Rickard":1imi8smp said:

Suprised he hasn't came back yet! :lol:
Pub team might be a bit harsh...pub team manager is more apt.

Y2J

Dec 28, 2004
Cornwall
Glen Crowe and Lee Power were rather awful, but then there are many players from that era that I'd like to forget.

My grandfather wasn't very complementary towards Peter Swan (left just before I went to my first match). He had ability, but was a complete and utter mam.

Bjarni Gudjonsson would be a contender for the can't be arsed category.

Kevin_Dacombe":2utw0as9 said:
little winger signed from tranmere by luggy (can never remember his name).

David Beresford? I think we signed him from Hull and went to Tranmere after not doing much for us.

Jul 6, 2011
Nobby":2kids8xx said:
Bit harsh on Chadders, he may be awful, but he's done a fair share of good things for the club as well.

The worst i've seen in my time was probably Luke Daley. All pace, no ability, no left foot. Honourable mentions go to Ladjie Soukouna, Cherno Samba, Rory Patterson, Bjarni Gudjonsson, Vincent Pericard, Nuno Mendes & Taribo West.

Partly agree with you there Nobby, but have to challenge you on a couple. West was unfit & past his best, but a great player in his time, Samba wasn't given any real support (he didn't really do a lot, but great goal against coventry, although some people say it just bounced off his head :D ), Patterson, Hmm... just felt he could have been a whole lot better if circumstances had been different, gave us glimpses.
The rest I have to agree, although Pericard threatened to impress, but ultimately slivered down the popularity pole.

Jul 6, 2011
Mac Rickard":2q5b34c1 said:

I would only say stack among that crowd and Luke Young has had some exceptional games for Argyle, considering he is just a young lad playing in a struggling team, hardly seems fair to me.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Soukouna probably my pick, no-one has stood out so much in my mind in having almost no technical skill with a football whatsoever. Watching him away at Crawley, miss ing basic passes, trying overheads on the halfway line and missing the ball entirely, tripping over his own feet under no pressure whatsoever - was particularly embarrassing.

Some of the names in this thread, Chadwick, Feeney, Luke Young etc. are totally out of order IMO. Worst players ever? They are nowhere near.

Walton comes on the radar for me though - I've never known a player seemingly refuse to get fit and develop his stamina, yet get picked in a CM role time and time again. Some centre mids are box-to-box, Walton was box-to-our-half-of-the-centre-circle, that was strenuous enough for him. Opposition players used to dribble down either side of him and he had no pace or agility whatsoever to stop it. But his decent aerial game, the captain's armband and a few penalties made him our best player in some eyes. Considering the near £750k we paid for him, and being made to look slow and unfit by the midfield of Aldershot and the like, puts him on the shortlist for me.