Wootton signs new deal | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wootton signs new deal

Sep 6, 2006
Devongreenowl":3gim5ezn said:
PL2 3DQ":3gim5ezn said:
Devongreenowl":3gim5ezn said:
Have to agree with that Oldage. Some of those who post about our defence being much improved, simply can’t have been there for many games.

Or those posters just have a different opinion to yours?

Just mine PL2 or the others on these pages who have said more or less the same?

You talked about all the 'howlers' by Wooton last season but havent provided one example...........

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
The stats from the site below show that we created more good goals chances (XG's) compared to any other team in L2 by far (the bottom chart). So you could argue the defence was particularly impressive given the fact the team is set-up to attack - and the same stats show that the number of XG's we conceded was pretty reasonable. SW has limitations for sure - but so have many defenders who have played at much higher levels (think Tony Adams & Lee Dixon) but the secret is to not let yourself get exposed, defend as a unit and above all concentrate for every second. Wooton certainly improved massively last season even after a dodgy start and deserves another season.

BTW..... if you do look at the 'scatter' charts in the link and even if you didn't know who was who but had to choose who you'd most want to watch - I'm sure most fans would certainly point to the Argyle dot. :thumbs:

https://experimental361.com/2020/03/17/ ... -mar-2020/

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Wootton's antics in the preseason with Bristol both amused and scared me and at the end of that game I hoped he never played for us again, but he certainly turned the corner throughout the season.

Last season our defence was a little shakey, cant say I oozed confidence whenever the opposition teams were attacking us.

In fact I remember plenty of occasions where we were let off by poor finishing or fantastic keeping.

My concern is next season the quality of finishing should be better, I hope Cooper turns out to be the star in goal we all hope.

As Ave_IT said the team were set up to attack and this leaves the defence exposed at times.

When we were last in L1 we set up not to lose and this created a different pressure, allowing teams to come onto us constantly meant we were just waiting to concede.

A positive style next season will leave us exposed again, but also increase our chances of scoring over our last season there.

Also with teams more likely to try to play our stronger players thank just hacking them down (Mayor in particular) it should play into our strengths more.

We will concede lots and we will (hopefully) score lots more.

Mar 22, 2020
Is anybody confident that we'll get plenty of game time from Aimson next season?Looks a good player but his injury record does nothing to convince me that we will. Slightly different scenario but but Tottenham fans raved about Ledley King for years. Cost the club a fortune in wages, couldn't train, barely played, what's the point.

Aug 27, 2019
Have to say that I for one am very happy that SW staying. He was (IMO) our most improved player over the season & frankly if RL rates him as a L1 player, then that judgement has proved sound to date & I see no reason to be in any way critical of it.
Support RL, support his man!!
Wont ever forget that immense 'off the line' clearance last season......
COYGs.....

Oct 5, 2013
tawtongreen":18vx01v1 said:
Have to say that I for one am very happy that SW staying. He was (IMO) our most improved player over the season & frankly if RL rates him as a L1 player, then that judgement has proved sound to date & I see no reason to be in any way critical of it.
Support RL, support his man!!
Wont ever forget that immense 'off the line' clearance last season......
COYGs.....

That’s right, that was awesome, and absolutely vital to our season.