Wootton signs new deal | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wootton signs new deal

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Metal_Green_Mickey":38e0k12s said:
I remember a couple of great blocks he made last reason.

Unfortunately, l remember too many times he is simply out paced. Just like Sawyer, he isn’t good enough for league one. Not because of their attitude or commitment. Simply, because they both are too slow and if we got easily counter attacked in league 2, logic tells you league 1 players will do the same.

If you shift him into the centre of a 3, at least he is protected. However, l do dread to think our back 3 would be Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer next season.

Bang on MGM

Oct 5, 2013
HC Green":2kjnv9eu said:
philevs":2kjnv9eu said:
This is really good news, he’s had a very good season and under RL looks a different player than under DA (which could be said for several others too).
He knows the game and really gives it everything, a very good asset.

He only started 6 games in 18/19 due to injury so how can anyone compare the two seasons.

To me he looked an entirely different player under the new regime this season, as did several others (Sarcevic, Canavan, Conor Grant, Jephcott).

Oct 5, 2013
Knibbsworth":2ata8a6x said:
gaspargomez":2ata8a6x said:
Different combinations of Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer proved to be ineffective in League One. These central defenders were either too slow or too error prone at the higher level and were a big factor in the club being relegated. What’s going to be so different this time around ?

Different goalkeeper, different formation, different tactics, different teammates, different manager and coaching staff, different man management and renewed confidence among other things.

Great reply which is spot on in my view.

Sep 6, 2006
Devongreenowl":2k0ozte1 said:
Not sure we should be celebrating that much. I think we need two new defenders and I sincerely hope that Wootton isn’t in the starting 11, because we will be in trouble defensively. Saw too many howlers and poor positional play from him last season, to give me any confidence that he would be any good at the higher level. Would be delighted to be proved wrong though.

I dont remember the 'howlers'. Examples?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
HC Green":611v7yf6 said:
philevs":611v7yf6 said:
This is really good news, he’s had a very good season and under RL looks a different player than under DA (which could be said for several others too).

He only started 6 games in 18/19 due to injury so how can anyone compare the two seasons.
I’m sure I saw that Wootton claimed he was fully fit from New Year 2019. Having said that, the few games he played in 2018 were not very convincing.

Jun 27, 2019
davie nine":3p6gjppf said:
HC Green":3p6gjppf said:
philevs":3p6gjppf said:

I’m sure I saw that Wootton claimed he was fully fit from New Year 2019. Having said that, the few games he played in 2018 were not very convincing.

Bit of a Pasoti myth developing that Wooton missed most of our relegation season because of injury. He was only actually out for two months and when he recovered he couldn't get back in the team because Derek had made his mind up that Wootton wasn't good enough for League One. He even brought a loanee in rather than give him his place back.

Aug 5, 2016
WoodsyGreen":3dhmfunz said:
davie nine":3dhmfunz said:
HC Green":3dhmfunz said:
philevs":3dhmfunz said:

Bit of a Pasoti myth developing that Wooton missed most of our relegation season because of injury. He was only actually out for two months and when he recovered he couldn't get back in the team because Derek had made his mind up that Wootton wasn't good enough for League One. He even brought a loanee in rather than give him his place back.

DA's judgement cost us relegation.

Under Lowe, Palmer, Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer may well have been a league winning defence. Obviously good enough for top 3.

The league system wàs invented so the top 3 of a division earned the right to play against the teams from the league above.

Why at Argyle is it so common to say "yes Sarcevic had a good year", (player of the season, scoring double figures from midfield, finishing on the top 3 of the division) "but he isn't good enough for League One".

Eh?

Didn't finshing in the top 3 just prove he was good enough for the league above?

The same applies for Wootton Canavan, Sawyer, McFadzean et al.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Sarcevic couldn’t have been convinced that he was good enough for League 1, otherwise, why would he go back to League 2?
Surely, a League 1 club ‘up north’ would have been interested in him even if he didn’t want to stay here.
Amazing how you can appear so excited about promotion and then choose to remain in League 2.
Before someone mentions it, the Bury situation last season was due to unprecedented circumstances and at least those who came back to League 2 with us have the opportunity to prove their worth in League 1 now.
I’m not convinced that Salford will do the same for Sarcevic.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
WoodsyGreen":mqeclmae said:
davie nine":mqeclmae said:
HC Green":mqeclmae said:
philevs":mqeclmae said:

Or it's poor from Adams to judge and ditch Wootton after just 8 league games before the end of September, a player he had scouted and just signed.
Wootton played just once after September, aside from his injuries it seemed a waste of a wage to the club.
The fans only judged him on that season where Adams played with two centre-backs but in a back three in the season just finished Wootton (and Canavan) are totally different players.
In that relegation season if Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer were tried out in a back three we just might have stayed up.

Dec 3, 2005
You have to say - well i do - that the defenders and the Goalie were on most occasions last season on top of their game.

But you also have to remember that 3 of these defenders were also in the defence that were in the team that got relegated from Div 1.

Maybe they are good defenders in Div 2 but not upto it in Div 1

Yes of course the Management team is different and the system different, but they are still the same players.

If they were too slow or not upto it 2 years ago, why would they be upto it now.

Oct 5, 2013
djg145":1sg5gx30 said:
You have to say - well i do - that the defenders and the Goalie were on most occasions last season on top of their game.

But you also have to remember that 3 of these defenders were also in the defence that were in the team that got relegated from Div 1.

Maybe they are good defenders in Div 2 but not upto it in Div 1

Yes of course the Management team is different and the system different, but they are still the same players.

If they were too slow or not upto it 2 years ago, why would they be upto it now.

Because the system being played, the coaching, man management and improved attitude have made several of our players (Wootton, Canavan, Jephcott, Conor Grant, Sarcevic) become better players.

The problem with DA was always that he didn’t seem able to coach a player into becoming a better player. RL’s arrival has demonstrated what can happen when this is done. Why would this not continue in the league above?

On your point on speed, wingers are generally faster runners than defenders, but the key for defenders is to be in the right positions as a unit, and if they are, then raw pace alone is not automatically effective against them.

Jun 27, 2019
Knibbsworth":2s7p0ljz said:
WoodsyGreen":2s7p0ljz said:
davie nine":2s7p0ljz said:
HC Green":2s7p0ljz said:
philevs":2s7p0ljz said:

Under Lowe, Palmer, Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer may well have been a league winning defence. Obviously good enough for top 3.

The league system wàs invented so the top 3 of a division earned the right to play against the teams from the league above.

Why at Argyle is it so common to say "yes Sarcevic had a good year", (player of the season, scoring double figures from midfield, finishing on the top 3 of the division) "but he isn't good enough for League One".

Eh?

Didn't finshing in the top 3 just prove he was good enough for the league above?

I can remember Paul Wotton being consistently written off each time we were promoted under Sturrock, and each time he proved everyone wrong. Wasn't he our top scorer in our first season back in the Championship?

So yes, I take your general point that promotion-winning players have earned the right to have a go at the league above, but disagree that finishing in the top three automatically means you're good enough for the higher league.

There's obviously a gulf in quality between each division and just because you've been part of a team that has dominated League Two sides doesn't mean you'll do the same to League One. How could it? Otherwise managers wouldn't bother improving their squads after a promotion.

Dwight Gayle is a good example. Consistently among the top scorers in the Championship but usually jettisoned once he's won his team promotion. The Championship is his level, just like I believe League Two is Wootton's.

Oct 5, 2013
WoodsyGreen":2arwrguw said:
Knibbsworth":2arwrguw said:
WoodsyGreen":2arwrguw said:
davie nine":2arwrguw said:
HC Green":2arwrguw said:
philevs":2arwrguw said:

Eh?

I can remember Paul Wotton being consistently written off each time we were promoted under Sturrock, and each time he proved everyone wrong. Wasn't he our top scorer in our first season back in the Championship?

So yes, I take your general point that promotion-winning players have earned the right to have a go at the league above, but disagree that finishing in the top three automatically means you're good enough for the higher league.

There's obviously a gulf in quality between each division and just because you've been part of a team that has dominated League Two sides doesn't mean you'll do the same to League One. How could it? Otherwise managers wouldn't bother improving their squads after a promotion.

Dwight Gayle is a good example. Consistently among the top scorers in the Championship but usually jettisoned once he's won his team promotion. The Championship is his level, just like I believe League Two is Wootton's.

It doesn’t mean that every single player who got us promoted is good enough for the league above, but RL believes that a number of them are, hence they’re on the retained list.

Jul 12, 2016
How many fans were impressed by our defenders last season?
We certainly rode our luck on occasions and if it wasn't for Palmer and poor finishing we would not have been promoted. Each time a cross came into the area you hoped Palmer would collect it because the defenders were often all at sea and the amount of space we allowed the opposition was frightening. Admittedly they improved as a unit as the season progressed but I wonder how they will cope in league 1?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Have to agree with that Oldage. Some of those who post about our defence being much improved, simply can’t have been there for many games. Time after time we were caught out, either on through balls which allowed teams to outpace our slow defenders, or crosses which were poorly defended. We conceded too many headed goals and there were plenty of heated debates between Canavan, Wootton and Palmer in particular.

Let’s face it, Palmer was the main reason that our goals against column wasn’t worse. I know it’s his job, but we might be lucky a. to get as good a keeper as him this season and b. to find such generous and wayward strikers in L1 this season, if god forbid we line up with Sawyer, Wootton and Canavan as our back 3.