Wootton signs new deal | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wootton signs new deal

Oct 5, 2013
oldage":3qyuxkxg said:
How many fans were impressed by our defenders last season?
We certainly rode our luck on occasions and if it wasn't for Palmer and poor finishing we would not have been promoted. Each time a cross came into the area you hoped Palmer would collect it because the defenders were often all at sea and the amount of space we allowed the opposition was frightening. Admittedly they improved as a unit as the season progressed but I wonder how they will cope in league 1?

We were told (by RL, I think) at the very outset that our new attacking system was liable to leave us somewhat open to the opposition’s attacks, and no doubt many opponents tried to exploit this.
I was impressed by Canavan especially, who was magnificent in the air and showed himself a very good passer, and Wootton who showed tremendous willingness to play the new system and also pulled off some amazing edge-of-area blocks. I was surprised Sawyer was offered a new contract, but can only think he must be a good influence in the dressing room and around the club in general.
I too wonder how they will cope in League above, but for me that’s part of what makes football so interesting.

Jun 27, 2019
I think you're right, Phil, RL definitely said something to that effect. Bury fans also warned us that our defence would routinely be left exposed.

If we're going to stick with Wootton and Canavan then it's essential we sign a CB with pace. Zak Vyner would be lovely but anyone with his attributes would do.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Don’t forget we also have Aimson. He’ll be a very important player if he stays fit.

I still think we will sign another versatile defender either on loan or a free as cover and competition.

Jan 21, 2007
I'm glad I'm posting my views on page 3 and not the first two pages ...

SW makes me really nervous with his lack of composure when he's forced to defend a ball in the box. You simply lose count of the number of times a headed clearance finds an opposing player in a central position rather than being put into touch, or when he boots the ball straight at an attacker rather than two-foot either side of him.

I totally agree with the comments on this page that we got away with it at times this season ... GS is easily beaten by someone with a trick and a bit of pace, and resorted to lunging in later on in the season, NC despite his size doesn't do enough to dominate and scare the opposition, and SW has too many mistakes in him ... Palmer saved us so many times, and in my view was the difference between promotion and another season in league two. I worry for Cooper (if it's to be Cooper next season ... and I really hope it is) as a season behind these three could destroy his confidence if he's left too exposed and we get whooped by 4 or 5 a couple of times early on. I'm sure Macey was scarred by the thumping's we took at the start of 2018-19; he looked traumatised after that hammering we took at home by Peterborough (and a couple others).

I have been really impressed with Aimson when he played though, and really hope we get at least one CB in to compliment him.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Tugboat":1rnblad4 said:
Don’t forget we also have Aimson. He’ll be a very important player if he stays fit.

I still think we will sign another versatile defender either on loan or a free as cover and competition.

Hope so Tug, but not as cover or competition. As a starter in the 11.

If you look at our stats for possession, time spent in the opponents half, shots on goal, passing success etc, everything points to a team constantly moving forward with an attacking emphasis. Compare that to our defensive mentality under previous management, and for me it’s a no brainier. RL admits this puts extra pressure on our defence, and I too fear for this in league one, but I still prefer this ‘we’ll score one more goal than you’ attitude.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I love the 'we will score more than you' approach but as we go up a level I think it’s vital for the back three to have more pace, hence the need for at least one more defender who can play that system and be quick to deal with threats once we’ve lost the ball. It’s so long since we saw Aimson, that I can’t even remember how quick or not he is!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Devongreenowl":34h0ueh4 said:
Have to agree with that Oldage. Some of those who post about our defence being much improved, simply can’t have been there for many games.

Or those posters just have a different opinion to yours?

Oct 5, 2013
Devongreenowl":18la7byk said:
I love the 'we will score more than you' approach but as we go up a level I think it’s vital for the back three to have more pace, hence the need for at least one more defender who can play that system and be quick to deal with threats once we’ve lost the ball. It’s so long since we saw Aimson, that I can’t even remember how quick or not he is!

Exactly my thought, how quick is Aimson?!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
PL2 3DQ":2qtw7wlb said:
Devongreenowl":2qtw7wlb said:
Have to agree with that Oldage. Some of those who post about our defence being much improved, simply can’t have been there for many games.

Just mine PL2 or the others on these pages who have said more or less the same?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Devongreenowl":3aocot2s said:
PL2 3DQ":3aocot2s said:
Devongreenowl":3aocot2s said:

Just mine PL2 or the others on these pages who have said more or less the same?

I know football is judged by the eyes, but in some cases you cannot ignore facts:

- Our defence was the second best in the division.
- Our defence conceded 1.05 goals a game.
- Alex Palmer had the most clean sheets in the division.
- At Home Park we conceded 16 goals in 19 games.

I would suggest that the posters who think our Defence was “much improved” on the previous season where we conceded EIGHTY goals in 46 games, had the third worst defence in the division and conceded 38 of those at Home Park, might have a fair point...

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Yes, obviously that’s right. It had to improve from the previous season in a higher league, where it was pretty abysmal.

When I think of 'improved' I think, are the individual players and the unit actually better than they were or do they look better a, because they have a top quality keeper behind them and b. they were playing a poorer standard of opposition.

If we start with those three in L1 next season, I’ve a feeling we will find out pretty quickly. Only my opinion though!

Jun 27, 2019
philevs":32vxv324 said:
Devongreenowl":32vxv324 said:

From the matches I saw him play he is not quick. Possibly slightly quicker than Wootton and Canavan but he's no Vyner.

Oct 5, 2013
WoodsyGreen":32amfvbr said:
philevs":32amfvbr said:
Devongreenowl":32amfvbr said:

From the matches I saw him play he is not quick. Possibly slightly quicker than Wootton and Canavan but he's no Vyner.

Wonder if his injury was affecting him, although probably not as otherwise he wouldn’t have been selected.
Will be intriguing to see what RL comes up with for our defence...

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
philevs":2kr1mpxh said:
WoodsyGreen":2kr1mpxh said:
philevs":2kr1mpxh said:
Devongreenowl":2kr1mpxh said:

Wonder if his injury was affecting him, although probably not as otherwise he wouldn’t have been selected.
Will be intriguing to see what RL comes up with for our defence...

Fair comment re his injury. It seems clear he played with it and possibly having pain killing injections. I do know he looked very accomplished at both ends of the pitch, so we can only wait and see if he has made a full recovery this season.