Women's Euros | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Women's Euros

Jun 24, 2008
Am I alone in finding the tournament hard to watch and uninteresting?

I don't want to sound ignorant as I have tried to give it a go but it seems to have a lack of intensity and talent. The Norway game for instance, the defending is just unbearably bad...7th/8th best national team and the defenders cant even leave the floor to challenge for a header. The keepers hand is made of pancakes. It seems to be the same with each women's game I watch.

My personal opinion and I hope that with more exposure and interest more talent is found that can improve the game overall. It's just not entertaining enough for me and an 8-0 scoreline seems to sum it up.

To remove any sense of sexism from my post I should include that I watched just as much ladies tennis during Wimbledon as men. A sport in which both genders produce equally high level quality of tennis, but I would say that tennis is much more developed in that sense.

Nov 18, 2011
Am I alone in finding the tournament hard to watch and uninteresting?

I don't want to sound ignorant as I have tried to give it a go but it seems to have a lack of intensity and talent. The Norway game for instance, the defending is just unbearably bad...7th/8th best national team and the defenders cant even leave the floor to challenge for a header. The keepers hand is made of pancakes. It seems to be the same with each women's game I watch.

My personal opinion and I hope that with more exposure and interest more talent is found that can improve the game overall. It's just not entertaining enough for me and an 8-0 scoreline seems to sum it up.

To remove any sense of sexism from my post I should include that I watched just as much ladies tennis during Wimbledon as men. A sport in which both genders produce equally high level quality of tennis, but I would say that tennis is much more developed in that sense.
The women's game only turned fully professional in 2018, the men's game did in 1885. There's many other countries where the women's game is still not professional.

Professionalism and a supportive environment should help to speed things up in terms of the standards but it's such a recent thing that it'll take time. Comparisons with the men's game (which you didn't do) also really doesn't help things.

As you mentioned women's tennis, the WTA was founded in 1973 so it has had so much longer to develop it's game.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
If they pull in the support and the sponsorship and tv money and audiences that the men do then fair play but that is far from the case at present. The women's game is beginning to take off with many more participants and a successful tournament for England would accelerate that further. However, crowds of 3,000 plus, many not much more and a few bigger gates for England alone and that with tickets from 5 quid or so certainly doesn't remotely justify equal pay. Couldn't Argyle make a similar claim with the Premier League.
Many people are doing their best to promote the women's game but at the end of the day they need to stand on their own feet.

Sep 22, 2003
I agree about the equal pay argument: how can they expect the same financial output when the financial input isn't there.

I also agree about the quality in general, but where I disagree is that it is uninteresting.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
The last few games I have watched have been quite entertaining. Netherlands v Portugal last night for example was a good watch, as was England v Norway.

Reactions: jespafc

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Noticed the pitch-side boards yesterday saying "Women play football #NOT women's football"

There have been some very good goalies in the tournament and I noticed yesterday that Iceland's is head and shoulders taller than most of her teammates. One of the 'studio' commenters earlier in the week commented that there aren't very many 6ft 5inch women goalies so they need to be more agile than male goalies.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I have to be honest, I've enjoyed watching the England women's team more than the men.

The games have been open and engaging and the quality has improved immensely. There is also much less gamesmanship, arguing, petulance and it comes across as a much more respectful game right now. I hope that remains.

I've watched a few of the other games too and they've also been very high quality.

Sep 2, 2008
They can afford to play a much more open game because the quality of the opposition is so poor that they wont really hurt you when things break down.

Not suggesting that I am a fan of Southgate because I'm most definitely not. Having someone that inherently has a defensive mindset in charge of your team is not going to translate to attacking football on the park.

Last edited:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Spanish are very accomplished. IF England do go further, this will be their toughest test.

0-0 at half time, but Spain were the better team in the first half.