Wimbledon match thread (includes the goals) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wimbledon match thread (includes the goals)

Jan 27, 2012
From the little I have seen online, Mayor’s playing style reminds me a bit of Paul Dalton. I doubt if Mayor is quite that good, given that Dalton is among the best players to have ever represented Argyle, but even if he is a little bit like Dalton I’d be happy with that !

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Balham_Green":vrt20zqt said:
Nobby":vrt20zqt said:
Can’t believe we’ve won that. Beating a team who had already faced Kaiserslautern in pre-season. Unheard of.

Whats that got to do with it? Bizarre

If you can't think of anything constructive to say, how about not saying anything?

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Good to see the shape of the team in each clip - and most interestingly just how far forward ASB and Riley were in each move.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
gaspargomez":34xwq3vz said:
From the little I have seen online, Mayor’s playing style reminds me a bit of Paul Dalton. I doubt if Mayor is quite that good, given that Dalton is among the best players to have ever represented Argyle, but even if he is a little bit like Dalton I’d be happy with that !

Dalton in his days at Argyle played as a classic winger. From what I have seen of Mayor he plays in an inside position down the left side.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
gaspargomez":k0359zfu said:

I see what you mean. Same balance and shape when running. Similar dribbling qualities.

Dalton for me up with the best I have ever seen at HP, if not the best.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1rc602zg said:
Nobby":1rc602zg said:
Can’t believe we’ve won that. Beating a team who had already faced Kaiserslautern in pre-season. Unheard of.

I was taking the pee, BG. As people seemed to keen to point out how bad our pre-season schedule was in comparison to AFC’s.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Tugboat":1lrwa5v8 said:
Some have said he plays 3-5-2 but it looks more 3-1-4-2 with a holding CM pulling strings when in possession and providing cover for the CB’s when we don’t have the ball.

3-1-4-2 is how I see it as well, although the wing-backs are so far forward it could even be 3-1-2-4.
The formation does leave us exposed at the back and open to a counter attack from the opposition and a lot of responsibility placed on the sitting midfielder and the central centre-back.
The key is the other players quickly getting back into a defensive position and it seems like they are learning this today.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
First half was more 3-5-2 but when Randell came on it seemed to be more 3-1-4-2 as he sat quite deep in front of the back 3.
The clean sheet was very pleasing with Canavan looking assured throughout. Wootton was a bit pedestrian but Aimson will probably come into contention at RCB.
I liked Edwards, always made himself available for the ball and used it well. Mayor I feel will soon render GC10 a distant memory. Sarce I thought did better second half than Conor Grant first half. Of the youngsters Lolos could well be around the first team squad a lot this season. He didn't look out of place at all whether up top or dropping deeper for the ball. Randell too looked comfortable sat in front of the back 3. My gut feeling is Fletcher isn't going to cut it at league level. His one chance he blazed over from near the penalty spot when a bit more composure and concentrating on hittng the target was required.
I think RL has things bubbling up quite nicely judging by today and will have a further week to drill his squad before Rovers next week.
Byron Moore was there on the pitch warming up before kick off but took no active part as I assume his transfer isn't quite done yet.
Kenny Dalglish watched the first 25 minutes from the front right of the Argyle fans minutes before disappearing just before Mayor's opening strike.
A great touch from Lowe at the final whistle when he brought the players over to the 40 or 50 Argyle fans and insisted on some youngsters joining him and the players on the pitch for selfies before Dan Cole took a picture of the team in front of the fans. It was refreshing following Derek Adams who was rather lacking in the charisma stakes.
For the few who doubted the benefit of 4 days in the Spanish sun I personally feel from having watched some training and the game today that it will prove to be very beneficial. It has been a great bonding exercise and given the coaching team a great opportunity to really get across to the squad what they are looking for without home distractions.
For what it's worth I think today's starting line up will have included about 8 of the Crewe starting eleven. Aimson, Telford and even Byron Moore will come into consideration. ABH will push Mcfadzean for the starting place on the left, Sarce might oust Conor Grant and goalkeeper is up for grabs.

Mar 16, 2009
London
monkeywrench":1o34jyvx said:
Balham_Green":1o34jyvx said:
Nobby":1o34jyvx said:

If you can't think of anything constructive to say, how about not saying anything?

Actually I think BG has a point.

I can only think it’s a tongue in cheek comment by Nobby, because it makes little sense if literal.

Aug 10, 2006
Good win,nice to see team playing football,good goal by Mayor.Nice gesture by Lowe at the end of the game,great guy..so much better than Adams..off on the beer in Benidorm now win..win :scarf:

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Has Dalglish still got a role at Liverpool?

Apr 15, 2016
Delighted Joel Grant has found the net. Think he could be a big player this season.

Very good player imo.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Mark Pedlar":1uiacp8u said:
Has Dalglish still got a role at Liverpool?

I saw him at the Argyle game at Anfield Mark, I have a feeling it's ambassadorial as he was there hosting with Ian St John, Ian Rush etc.