Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 56 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Oct 10, 2018
Stop trolling Belham, try and come up with a constructive suggestion rather than trying to find fault with others. You failed the greens no- know head test.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Michael Skubala, Mike Williamson and Steven Naismith are the three most interesting names on this thread.

But if course, it could end up being someone totally left field who nobody has thought of.

Oct 14, 2015
I’ll throw Ryan Mason’s name in as a suggestion. Currently at Tottenham, an assistant coach at Premier League club Tottenham.

Has had two reasonably successful spells as Tottenhams Interim Head Coach in the last few years so has had some experience.

It’s one of those that young managers it could work out, Liam Rosenior at Hull for example or not work out, Joe Edwards at Millwall.

Maybe the appointment of Ian Foster may persuade the club to go for someone with proven experience.

Just another name I’d mention whilst I watch Man Utd currently embarrassing themselves on TV again 😁

Reactions: GreenEden
Sep 3, 2011
Job attractiveness wise I can't see there being much difference to what league Argyle end up in. The Championship will have its obvious pull but with a modest budget, not the smallest considering the money the club gets for Whittaker. Then there's League one, where Argyle would surely comfortably have a top 6 budget and be expected to compete for promotion.

Sep 17, 2017
Whoever we get will be on a hiding to nothing. I am so depressed after yesterday. What is going on at our beloved Argyle?
Sailor Green you just have to stick with Argyle end of. Those of us dinosaurs who have been with the Greens for decades have seen it all before, and we’ll see it again, it’s one big cycle. Whether we stay up or drop just strap in for the Argyle roller coaster ride, don’t let it get you down embrace it !!

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Once a Green
Always a Green
Players & Managers come & go
But the undying love for our beloved club remains a constant
Argyle will probably do an Argyle in the next 2 games & we will remain in the Championship
Whoever is chosen to be Manager/Head Coach will certainly be part of a rather unique club 💚💚

Aug 23, 2006
Home Park
Whoever we get will be on a hiding to nothing. I am so depressed after yesterday. What is going on at our beloved Argyle?
I kinda get your point. If we don't improve the budget would a good manager look at us. He's not going to want a relegation on his CV. To attract a decent manager there going to want some money for loans new signings etc, if we do stay up without investment it's going to be a long hard season.

Apr 30, 2011
There will be lessons learned from Foster's appointment, but I don't think we should rip the whole process up and stay over. He still fits the mould of the type of manager we should be looking for, but I'd imagine that some key points may need to stipulated for the next appointment.

1. Experience of managing full time at a professional football club.

2. An understanding of and agreement with our long standing and fairly successful recruitment process. Players should be Argyle signings rather than 'new manager signings'.

3. He must have a recognised back room staff ready to go, or be willing to work with the ones we have.

4. Able to evidence tactical dexterity. Ie - has a plan B and C for games where we are struggling. This needs to be factored into recruitment and a 'horses for courses' team selection to maximise the impact of our squad.

5. For the Argyle board to review the stats and data for the stipulation of 'must play attacking football'. How do you evidence this statistically? XG? Possession? Chances created? I don't know if this is something that can be defined statistically. Mr H said that for the Foster appointment, the data showed that his philosophy and tactics were consistent with Argyles identity of playing attacking and risky football. That was obviously not the case. We did look like a crap version of England under Foster, as opposed to a sort of Brazil C team under Schuey.

6. Proven ability to engage effectively with media outlets and the fans. Foster never came across well in interview (even before it started to go wrong), he wasn't as charismatic as Schuey and that disengaged the fan base.

7. Preferably a more than modest professional career, which in my view would get the instant respect of players in the squad and give the manager more presence.

I don't know who that leads us to, but I'm confident that if these requisites was sprinkled across the existing principles then we won't have the same problems that came to the fore under Foster. Obviously, some could tick all those
boxes and it could still not work outbutt for me, that would be the learning we could take from Fosters appointment

Reactions: Railway sleeper

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
6. Proven ability to engage effectively with media outlets and the fans. Foster never came across well in interview (even before it started to go wrong), he wasn't as charismatic as Schuey and that disengaged the fan base.

7. Preferably a more than modest professional career, which in my view would get the instant respect of players in the squad and give the manager more presence.

I don't know who that leads us to, but I'm confident that if these requisites was sprinkled across the existing principles then we won't have the same problems that came to the fore under Foster. Obviously, some could tick all those
boxes and it could still not work outbutt for me, that would be the learning we could take from Fosters appointment
Very interesting post (only curtailed here to save a bit of space). I wonder with point 6 in mind if we'd have appointed John Sheridan - he certainly ticked all the playing career boxes for point 7. I rememher listening to James Brent talk about his interview, the word "monosyllabic" was used, but on reflection, he may have been the most important Argyle managerial appointment in recent history.

Reactions: Penmaster
Apr 30, 2011
Very interesting post (only curtailed here to save a bit of space). I wonder with point 6 in mind if we'd have appointed John Sheridan - he certainly ticked all the playing career boxes for point 7. I rememher listening to James Brent talk about his interview, the word "monosyllabic" was used, but on reflection, he may have been the most important Argyle managerial appointment in recent history.
JS probably got away with it a bit as we were (relatively considering we nearly went out of business before he took over) successful under his reign. Same with Adams, he didn't capture the crowd at all and his football was dull but he got away with it for so long as results were generally positive.

At Championship level, we know that we will be lucky to replicate the win ratio that Sheridan and Adam's had. Which is why Foster so quickly came under fire - had he been able to galvanise the fans, and even more so the players, his reign may well not have ended so soon irrespective of results on the pitch.

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
JS probably got away with it a bit as we were (relatively considering we nearly went out of business before he took over) successful under his reign. Same with Adams, he didn't capture the crowd at all and his football was dull but he got away with it for so long as results were generally positive.

At Championship level, we know that we will be lucky to replicate the win ratio that Sheridan and Adam's had. Which is why Foster so quickly came under fire - had he been able to galvanise the fans, and even more so the players, his reign may well not have ended so soon irrespective of results on the pitch.
I wasn't even looking at how people did in the job - would John Sheridan even have been offered the job if there was sufficiently high stock being placed in his media-facing personality? (I have seen anecdotal evidence that he was a lot different in a social setting, the same was true of Derek Adams based on the sole interaction I had with him the night before his first game in charge at a fan Q&A in a pub near Waterloo).

Ideally we would probably have someone midway between Lowe and Foster on a scale of extremes!