Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 88 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 81 21.6%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 45 12.0%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 37 9.9%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 25 6.7%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 14.1%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 2.9%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 55 14.7%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Will Still

Votes: 40 10.7%

• Total voters
Jul 28, 2020
One approach would be to look at managers who have consistently overachieved when compared to the budget they have been operating under at their club or clubs. Of course there is much more to it than that. But I’m sure that people like Duff and Mark Bonner who worked miracles at Cambridge would feature if someone was to compile something like this. I’d be happy with either of those two as they both have very good knowledge of league one which should be a hunting ground for recruitment. They have both spent time at clubs who, like Argyle are underdogs. Yet have produced very good footballing sides. I’m fairly confident the new Rotherham manager would be on there too. Although I find he’s hard too warm to.
I like mention of mark bonner very much - that would be very much an 'Argyle' type appointment - in a good sense

Broadly, what he did at cambridge is precisely the job we want to be done at Argyle on a slightly bigger budget

What the fans said when Bonner left the club speaks more loudly than any reference ever could

He can pick a player on a limited budget

But what I like most of all about mark bonner is that hes the bloke next door- if you have nice neighbours that is, and theres something about the way he speaks so much common sense , in the interviews I've seen- which would be the ideal fit for the club. Players, staff and suppirters....

Nov 18, 2011
I like mention of mark bonner very much - that would be very much an 'Argyle' type appointment - in a good sense
He's a good manager but all he's ever known is Cambridge, he was a coach there for years before becoming a manager and was born in Cambridge. I guess he's almost their version of Nance.

It'd be interesting to see how he gets on outside of Cambridge.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com

Broadly, what he did at cambridge is precisely the job we want to be done at Argyle on a slightly bigger budget

What the fans said when Bonner left the club speaks more loudly than any reference ever could

He can pick a player on a limited budget

But what I like most of all about mark bonner is that hes the bloke next door- if you have nice neighbours that is, and theres something about the way he speaks so much common sense , in the interviews I've seen- which would be the ideal fit for the club. Players, staff and suppirters....
Would be quite a big gamble, but I agree with you. Always comes across as very straight talking and genuine.

Reactions: Railway sleeper
Feb 11, 2024
Joint head coach Lee hobbs & Joe Edward, Nance , the ex Parkway manager knows all to well about financial limitations, geographical constraints, depth of young talent across the SW region. Joe E knows the argyle culture, the passion and commitment needed. Nance know the coaching hierarchy.

No huge financial investment needed in coaches, so would give more money to invest in players.
Hahah, good one. Funniest joke ive heard all week. My next door neighbours managed a bit of sunday league lets chuck his name in the hat 🤣

Jan 16, 2024
Going with an experienced person who has done it in the Championship, League 1 and League 2, Nigel Clough. Not sure he'd leave the East Midlands, but he is used to working with a tight budget and developing players. Obviously got Mansfield promoted, so might be difficult to prise a way.

Apr 30, 2011
Absolutely, but the size of the budgets we're up against now are far bigger than they have been in the past.
But the access to players is more or less the same and there are only so many players to go around. So whilst the budget of other clubs may have grown, it doesn't necessarily mean that the quality of their players has 'grown' at the same rate.

A £10M player is not 10 times better than a £1M player.

Sep 6, 2006
tbh Steve listening to your previous assessments I dont think I'll point him in your direction for advice. You still haven't explained the difference between a good lower League manager and Championship
tell your friend that mister mccann is a natural lower tier manager and not second tier.let your friend imagine if the fine gentleman mister mccann had us adrift at the bottom of the second tier,would he open an account on here complaining about him.;) if your friend wants any more advice do not hesitate to contact mebh

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Evans