Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 86 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 81 21.8%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 44 11.8%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 37 9.9%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 14.2%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 55 14.8%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Will Still

Votes: 40 10.8%

• Total voters

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
No chance. See how far ahead of us this season they finished with all his financial backing. He ain’t half as good as he thinks he is

I thought the way he left was rotten and I’ve lost a huge amount of respect for him.

But that doesn’t change my opinion of him as a manager.

He’s the best we’ve ever had.

Reactions: RB00194
Dec 16, 2004
Just watched an interview with Des Buckingham which was incredibly impressive. He, however, seems very commited to Oxford (his hometown club) talking about being there for the long term. Pity cos I think he would be a strong candidate.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Just watched an interview with Des Buckingham which was incredibly impressive. He, however, seems very commited to Oxford (his hometown club) talking about being there for the long term. Pity cos I think he would be a strong candidate.

Depends how they get on the play offs. If they stay down I think we could tempt him.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We could argue that one all day. Nowhere near the best.

He got us promoted to the Championship with over 100 points with a mid table budget, not to mention the fact that we won the title ahead of the club who have just been promoted to the Premier League. Last season was the best in the club’s history, I loved that team and what we achieved.

I get there’s anger toward Schumacher, I feel it too, but let’s not revise history.

Apr 4, 2004
One approach would be to look at managers who have consistently overachieved when compared to the budget they have been operating under at their club or clubs. Of course there is much more to it than that. But I’m sure that people like Duff and Mark Bonner who worked miracles at Cambridge would feature if someone was to compile something like this. I’d be happy with either of those two as they both have very good knowledge of league one which should be a hunting ground for recruitment. They have both spent time at clubs who, like Argyle are underdogs. Yet have produced very good footballing sides. I’m fairly confident the new Rotherham manager would be on there too. Although I find he’s hard too warm to.

Mar 4, 2004
Theres a lot of good sense in what you say

And I think theres a clue to who we should be looking for in what you've written :' whoever it is will have to work another miracle'

Proof of deity and of working miracles comes in short supply

But if this is what we are looking for - and I agree that it is - there are some in the football world who can make that claim, but you might have to look far and wide to find them

It's also essential, in my opinion, that whover it is that is chosen is also able to prove that theyve built a very strong team spirit

You want find any of those proofs amongst candidates who haven't managed at senior league level or are only assistant managers

One such would be gaute helstrup, who's miracle of sorts, was the success he achieved at Tromso, a geographically remote club, and a poorer club successfully competing against richer clubs

Not that I'm necessarily advocating for gaute helstrup, but he has the type of background which I think should be of interest

What isnt really of much interest to me is FA badges or courses..
Yes the building a team spirit thing is very important though a slippery fish itself at times. Schumacher had it easy in that regard and Foster appears to have trampled it into the dust instantly. The miracle may involve more investment which comes with its own risks.

I heard Chris Powell on Talksport talking about Wednesday and working with Rohl. I'm not sure they will be relegation fodder again. We will certainly be written off but maybe that's our superpower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Railway sleeper
Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
So what's the difference between a second tier manager and a different tier? Asking for a friend.
tell your friend that mister mccann is a natural lower tier manager and not second tier.let your friend imagine if the fine gentleman mister mccann had us adrift at the bottom of the second tier,would he open an account on here complaining about him.;) if your friend wants any more advice do not hesitate to contact me.

Jul 12, 2016
He got us promoted to the Championship with over 100 points with a mid table budget, not to mention the fact that we won the title ahead of the club who have just been promoted to the Premier League. Last season was the best in the club’s history, I loved that team and what we achieved.

I get there’s anger toward Schumacher, I feel it too, but let’s not revise history.
No point in discussing. He was lucky to be here to upgrade his cv. SH trusted him , he did what he was paid to do then stabbed him in the back. As far as I am concerned any credit he had disappeared the moment he left.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Meeting to take place tomorrow

I think it’s imperative that we move quickly, there’s a huge amount of work to be done this summer, I’d hope that we’ll see someone in post within 2 weeks, which may rule out some of the managers involved in the play offs and also Anthony Barry who will be involved in the Euro’s.

Jun 22, 2005
Now where have we heard that before?

I agree he'd be great for us.

Reactions: Mark Pedlar
Sep 12, 2023
I think it’s imperative that we move quickly, there’s a huge amount of work to be done this summer, I’d hope that we’ll see someone in post within 2 weeks, which may rule out some of the managers involved in the play offs and also Anthony Barry who will be involved in the Euro’s.
Deffo or we will be playing catch up.