Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 65 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Oct 10, 2018
Shaun Maloney ( wigan), Ruben Selles ( Reading), Oscar H at Aab, these would be my 3 interview candidates.

All three have done a great job with limited resources, all have an entertaining styles of football, Shaun the least experienced of the 3,

Oscar H played across Holland, Greece and Seria A, as well as in MF for Sweden, also worked his way up from caretaker manager, to assistant manager to head coach, he has shown loyalty and he can develop and grow within a club, so would be my leading contender, given SH 5 year plan and one of them needing a squad rebuild.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Shaun Maloney ( wigan), Ruben Selles ( Reading), Oscar H at Aab, these would be my 3 interview candidates.

All three have done a great job with limited resources, all have an entertaining styles of football, Shaun the least experienced of the 3,

Oscar H played across Holland, Greece and Seria A, as well as in MF for Sweden, also worked his way up from caretaker manager, to assistant manager to head coach, he has shown loyalty and he can develop and grow within a club, so would be my leading contender, given SH 5 year plan and one of them needing a squad rebuild.
Did Selles really have limited resources? I don't think Harvey Knibbs, Sam Smith and Lewis Wing would have signed three year deals, Charlie Savage a four year deal, and David Button and Harlee Dean two year deals if they weren't being very well paid. The first few there had Championship interest too. Reading did run into problems further down the line, and had to sell some players in January, but Selles had a big wage budget last summer and he blew it. He was expected to challenge for promotion and he didn't. He's been cut a bit of slack due to the points deductions and the issues they later had off the field, but I don't think he did a great job at all.

Sep 28, 2022
With regards to further investment, the chance of that would presumably be even further away if we were to be relegated. By staying up we would apparently be given a windfall of £15 million from televised games. That may attract a future investor for sure. Relegation probably would put even more strain on Simon Hallett to provide. Mind you the sale of Whitticker, Cooper, Hardie etc would soften the financial blow somewhat. Unfortunately then we are back to square one and "another 5 year plan presumably. Many thanks Mr Schumacher, enjoy your pieces of gold. I, m not suggesting that he wouldn't have left at some point, it was just the manner and the timing.

Apr 8, 2016

Oscar H is was announced earlier this months as Elfsborg's new manager

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth

I’m still really confused as to why so many people want Ruben Selles. He’s doing an OK at Reading under trying circumstances but our next manager needs to be someone who can either guide us to mid table in the Championship or get us promoted from League 1, what evidence is there that Selles can do either? There’s a lot of hype around him, but there was also a lot of hype around Wayne Rooney when he was doing OK under trying circumstances at Derby.

Nov 18, 2011
Did Selles really have limited resources? I don't think Harvey Knibbs, Sam Smith and Lewis Wing would have signed three year deals, Charlie Savage a four year deal, and David Button and Harlee Dean two year deals if they weren't being very well paid. The first few there had Championship interest too. Reading did run into problems further down the line, and had to sell some players in January, but Selles had a big wage budget last summer and he blew it. He was expected to challenge for promotion and he didn't. He's been cut a bit of slack due to the points deductions and the issues they later had off the field, but I don't think he did a great job at all.
Good point well made. Reading's owners were happy to recklessly spend money until they suddenly decided to turn off the money tap. There's still plenty of players there from those days.

Reactions: Argy1e
May 28, 2015
Personally for me no experienced managers really fill me with a huge lot of excitement and I would still be happy for us to take a gamble on a coach (I’ve already stated I would love Andrew Crofts from brighton) or a newish manager like skubala. If we were to hire someone more experienced i genuinely do think Valeri Ismael is a good bet. I know he got sacked from Watford and West Brom but who doesn’t (until Corbrean recently) but he plays attacking football, seems to bring in good foreign players and he got Barnsley into the playoffs with absolutely no budget for this league. His teams are always physical which is something we have seriously lacked this season. To me he is just more appealing than a Pearson

May 22, 2006
Wouldn’t it be good to appoint a manager before Saturday. Somebody who would take the job regardless of which division we will be in next season. Somebody who backs themselves to motivate the players to win one game and who then reaps the benefits of a victory for the future.

The last two games feel like we are lost without a clue. We could really do with some leadership at this vital time.

Jan 23, 2024
I see all of these names being thrown in the hat, and can only have sympathy with the people who have to make the final decision. Quite probably from pretty different set of names anyway!

The one thing I will add is that in my opinion it is absolutely critical that an appointment is made as soon as possible. Obviously trying to get a much better fit this time, but I think speed is really of the essence.

Should the disaster we are all fearing come about on Saturday, then a new manager announcement may help soften the huge depression that is going to settle over Home Park, and give us something to look forward to. On the other hand the feelgood escape of pressure will also help in the settling in process.

Quite apart from the psychological impact its obvious that there is a huge rebuild required no matter what happens, and surely the sooner the new (right!) manager/coach can get started the better?

Reactions: Balham Green

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
They can't announce anything if the choice - and the salary - depends upon which league we're in.

Reactions: Quintrell Green
Jun 4, 2015
Ford
I’m beginning to come to the conclusion that a foreign head coach might be the sensible way to go this time instead of the ‘usual suspects‘ list. Cifuentes at QPR, Rohl at Wednesday, Wagner at Narch etc seem to have added something different to those clubs. (Mind you, having said that, Disco Xisco had the Foster effect at the Wendies earlier this season I guess…).:unsure:

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
If a pre requisite for a new manager is that he has to work with our existing coaching staff that is a very blinkered and self limiting approach and criteria.

I'm not saying that existing coaches can't be accommodated within the academy etc or even utilized by the new manager if he chooses but it must be his choice .

Otherwise we are massively limiting our options as most managers want to bring their own assistants with them.

Reactions: Cobi Budge

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Foreign managers may not meet the criteria for a work permit.
Permits are handed out if potential manager candidates gain enough points in certain categories.

Barnsley had Austrian coach Dominik Thalhammer all lined up earlier this week, he even visited the club, but he wasn't granted a work permit and the move is now off.