What are your expectations for England? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What are your expectations for England?

How well will England do in Russia?

• Knocked out in the group stage

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Round of 16

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Quarter final

Votes: 42 47.7%
  • Semi final

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Runner up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winner

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Don't care, I'm Argyle and that's it!

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
Jul 7, 2006
Bristol
The-Pilgrim":hmstlnn8 said:
Optimistic stat alert....

2010 Guardiola won la liga with Barca and Spain won the World Cup.

2014 Guardiola won the Bundesliga with Bayern and Germany won the World Cup.

2018 Guardiola won the Prem League with Man City.......

I remember a similar one for France '98 - WC winners from 1970-1994 had been symmetrical, needless to say we broke the pattern.

Personally, I think if we can get out of the group with some strong performances, very few errors and no major injuries then who knows what will happen...

Probably out in the Quarters to Brazil or Germany, but that would still be a decent outcome in my opinion.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
The-Pilgrim":2au7tpv5 said:
Optimistic stat alert....

2010 Guardiola won la liga with Barca and Spain won the World Cup.

2014 Guardiola won the Bundesliga with Bayern and Germany won the World Cup.

2018 Guardiola won the Prem League with Man City.......
:)

I actually am quite optimistic because this seems to be the most exciting and vibrant England tournament squad I can ever remember: they're very light on the usual pick 'n' mix of slight has-beens, under-performing rabbits in the headlights on the big stage, superstars carrying injuries, unfulfilled Golden Generationers, can't-possibly-drop-hims and mentally scarred veterans of too many past ignominious failures or blown penalty shoot-outs - not to mention that they have a manager who actually has his head screwed on, and is neither martinet nor media whore.

Maybe Mexico '70 was similar, but for different reasons. The first World Cup I watched was 1966 and, to quote Orson Welles on describing his career following Citizen Kane, I started at the top and worked my way down. I was too young to note such nuances in '66, but England had a superb team in Mexico, and I'd known nothing but success until then; but of course they also provided my first ever World Cup trauma - blowing that two-goal lead against West Germany with 20 minutes to go in the QF, with Bonetti seeming to dive over Beckehbauer's speculative shot, then the wilting defence being ripped apart by fresh-legged sub Jurgen Grabowski.

So, having suffered as many tournament nightmares as any living England fan too young to remember 1950, my optimism is tempered by realism. Although I'd be gutted at the time, in truth I'd probably quietly settle for another QF defeat by Germany - provided it's honourable and non-traumatic. Let's say 4-2 to Germany :)

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Can't see us getting past the quarters. It would be nice to win at least one knockout match, though!
I'm mainly hoping for some decent performances - something this young squad (and manager) can build on to hopefully take us deeper into the competition at Euro 2020 and the next WC. Southgate brings fresh ideas and a different perspective and it's important the performances show we're moving in the right direction. It'll be wholly depressing if we still end up with a string of lacklustre performances to put us right back to square one yet again ...

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Fun fact ...
England are the only nation at the World Cup where all 23 members of their squad are based in their own country - with every single player plying their trade in the Premier League.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Argylegames":2tfoayru said:
MickyD":2tfoayru said:
Ooh, harsh! :greensmile:

Matter of opinion. If he'd been any good that day we'd have two WC wins not just 1966.
Well, there would still have been the small matter of beating the excellent Italy in the SF followed by the fantabulously wonderful Brazil in the final!

But yes, it would have been very nice to have seen how it all panned out...

Sep 6, 2006
Argylegames":ufo5aurj said:
MickyD":ufo5aurj said:
Ooh, harsh! :greensmile:

Matter of opinion. If he'd been any good that day we'd have two WC wins not just 1966.

Never too late for a scapegoat eh even 50 years later? Little matter of beating one of the all time great teams who had already beaten us but don't let facts get in the way.